Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not let my 13 year old watch Game of Thrones?

(58 Posts)
TinselAngel Thu 05-Oct-17 18:17:21

She’s 13, loves dragons and fantasy stuff and is desperate to watch GoT (needless to say “all” her friends watch it hmm).

I think she’s too young for at least another year.

What age have you let your children watch this kind of thing? I recall watching 18 certificate things younger than 18 myself. (--It was American Werewolf in London and I was terrified)--.

Feilin Thu 05-Oct-17 18:20:49

At 11 or 12 id have seen some films i was well underage for . If shes old enough to read the books id let her. At that age I had started reading things like Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles and had read Tolkien long before that .

imokit Thu 05-Oct-17 18:22:53

My mum discovered the 13 year olds had watched 13 reasons why on Netflix after the fact.
Not all of it is inappropriate, a lot of it is fighting/politics/suggestion.
Watch it with her - you bond, you discuss the bad bits and why they're bad. You also skip over the bad bits. And you don't have a huge fight/her potentially going behind your back/watching it a friends etc.
Its very nice that she asked you. She probably could have found a way to start watching it without asking.
Not a hill to die on.

Alternatively find some other good fantasy for her to get into instead (though I can't think of much at the moment)

Tinycitrus Thu 05-Oct-17 18:23:31

Bloody hell of course she's too young!

Ultra violence, graphic torture, explicit sex, orgies, incest etc etc

SingingMySong Thu 05-Oct-17 18:24:15

Too much sex IMO. I don't remember many rape scenes in Tolkein.

Tinycitrus Thu 05-Oct-17 18:24:27

Reading is not the same as watching a child being burned alive or a man ripped apart by dogs.

Tinycitrus Thu 05-Oct-17 18:25:51

What about Buffy?

Tolkien is like Winnie the Pooh in comparison with GoT

HattiesBackpack Thu 05-Oct-17 18:28:15

There's some really nasty rape scenes in GoT, e.g. 'f**k 'em till their dead' and whilst I think you shouldn't be banning stuff you should proceed with caution.

Trb17 Thu 05-Oct-17 18:28:44

No way. I love GOT but some scenes are horrific and left me (I’m in my 40’s) quite bothered.

Early on, woman are not treated well, which as a mature adult I can reconcile as purely fiction but I’m not sure I’d want my DD seeing that in all its detail.

InDubiousBattle Thu 05-Oct-17 18:29:07

Baby being murdered in its mothers arms, rape, incest, violent torture, dismemberment, more rape, the burning alive of a child, walking corpses..........Not things I would particularly want a 13 year old to see. 16 at the very earliest and even then it would depend on the individual, my neice is 19 and it scared her to bloody death.

tippz Thu 05-Oct-17 18:29:52

OMG no. No-one under 17-18 should be watching this.

Waaaay too much filthy sex! shock

NotEnglish Thu 05-Oct-17 18:31:55

Im grown up and I find some scenes in GoT very hard to watch.
Rape, very graphic murder, burning, loads of blood. I really like the series, but some of the pictures have stayed in my head for quite a while and I even had dreams about them. Not really nightmares, but restless, troubled dreams.
I would not let a 13 yo watch them.

The books are a bit different. I still wouldn't advise for a 13 yo, but they are less graphic.

Newtssuitcase Thu 05-Oct-17 18:32:21

I am really shocked that youve even asked the question. Have you seen it? Its graphic sex and violence. Its an 18 for a reason.

"Loving dragons and stuff" is a reason for a 13 year old watching The Last Dragon Slayer or Merlin not Game of Thrones.

Dragons don't even come into game of thrones for quite some time.

blackteasplease Thu 05-Oct-17 18:32:22

Yeah, I think it would be inappropriate for a a 13 year old, disturbing even. I really doubt her friends watch it. I would think at least 16 if not 18 (which is the certificate and in this case I might take it literally).

How about you tell her the story taking all the inappropriate bits out? I have done this for my dd who also loves the fantasy genre. It's a nice challenge to get all of the parallel threads running at the same time too!

blackteasplease Thu 05-Oct-17 18:32:26

Yeah, I think it would be inappropriate for a a 13 year old, disturbing even. I really doubt her friends watch it. I would think at least 16 if not 18 (which is the certificate and in this case I might take it literally).

How about you tell her the story taking all the inappropriate bits out? I have done this for my dd who also loves the fantasy genre. It's a nice challenge to get all of the parallel threads running at the same time too!

CoraPirbright Thu 05-Oct-17 18:33:31

Good grief no!! I adore GoT but all the rape & graphic violence makes it totally unsuitable for someone of 13.

blackteasplease Thu 05-Oct-17 18:33:47

There are some scenes I won't watch myself, that's true. Anything with child murder.

Nanny0gg Thu 05-Oct-17 18:33:53

I think she’s too young for at least another year.

IMO 3 years minimum. But that's just me.

3EyedRaven Thu 05-Oct-17 18:36:43

I think it depends on personality. I would have watched if at thirteen with no problems. I know people in their thirties who I don’t think should be allowed to.

Newtssuitcase Thu 05-Oct-17 18:37:23

Feilin Tolkein bears no resemblance whatsoever to GoT. Its perfectly normal for 10yo + to read the Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings. My 10yo is loving reading LOTR at the moment. It's not perfectly normal for 13 yo children to watch GoT.

I'm always rather disturbed by the fact that people come on and say "It's fine, I watched X rated movies when I was 10 and I'm ok" hmm Erm no you're not, you've now clearly got a warped sense of what is and is not appropriate for children to be exposed to.

jelliebelly Thu 05-Oct-17 18:38:59

Op have you actually watched it yourself? Not appropriate until at least 16 imo

ToffleMoomin Thu 05-Oct-17 18:41:28

I would never let a 13 year old watch it. I am still shaken by one of the death scenes when I think about it, and that was several seasons ago. Absolutely no way.

Also way too much sex in it, so many boring political talks happen with prostitutes doing their thing in the background. Nope. Not suitable.

Hulababy Thu 05-Oct-17 18:42:03

We don't let 15y DD watch any 18 certificate films or TV, so no I would allow a 13 year old to watch. Luckily she respects that decision ad has turned down opportunities at friend's houses to do so - she's pretty sensible and understands why we use sites such as commonsensemedia before agreeing to certain films/TV - she knows we are pretty level headed, she knows we let her watch many 15s before she was of that age so knows its coming from a place of sense, not just being mean.

DH watches GoT and he has said that its definitely not appropriate for a 15y let alone younger.

HeadfirstForHalos Thu 05-Oct-17 18:43:59

My 15 year old dd wants to watch it. I've said if she reads the books first then she can. It will probably take her until she's 16 anyway!

HeadfirstForHalos Thu 05-Oct-17 18:44:39

I have a 12 year old dd too btw, and it's a big no for her, inc the books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now