Talk

Advanced search

To feel like a total and utter idiot ..

(20 Posts)
louisajj432 Thu 05-Oct-17 15:49:34

I feel like a total moron ...
I've just moved home and went crazy with the pictures and wall art.
The other day I noticed the fridge was turned off and no electric sockets working ..
The electrician has just been ...
I put a canvas about the electric socket and that's what caused it
What a total moron ...

NancyDonahue Thu 05-Oct-17 15:58:58

You mean you drilled/nailed through a wire?

louisajj432 Thu 05-Oct-17 16:02:43

Pretty much blush

Cheekyandfreaky Thu 05-Oct-17 16:05:08

Well at least you didn't electrocute yourself. Mistakes happen.

louisajj432 Thu 05-Oct-17 16:06:56

I'm going to tell partner it was a faulty cable ..would never hear the end of it

NancyDonahue Thu 05-Oct-17 16:10:05

It's really lucky you weren't hurt

jaseyraex Thu 05-Oct-17 16:11:05

Mistakes happen. Trust me, you won't be alone in the silly stakes! When my DH and I got our first house years ago he did a lot of the work himself. When putting down lino in the kitchen it wouldn't stay down, not even with that horrible spray glue stuff. So he nailed it down, every inch of it, and put a nail right through a bloody gas pipe! It happens lol.

louisajj432 Thu 05-Oct-17 16:14:02

You would think 31 years on this planet I would have more sense wouldn't you blush

peachgreen Thu 05-Oct-17 16:18:54

You need to get yourself one of these OP before you kill yourself!

www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-truvo-digital-wall-detector/1375R?kpid=1375R&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsNfOBRCWARIsAGITapYPptGVjmLB-qX0VNrmhxJd7T5GX-i9gS62dkZ-PJW9WXo5YZhX6FsaArxiEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CP6jgOXj2dYCFdO1UQoddcMMbg

louisajj432 Thu 05-Oct-17 16:24:28

Thankyou ..that will come in really handy
And keep me alive

AlpacaPicnic Thu 05-Oct-17 16:44:29

Meh... My electrician drilled through a hidden gas pipe!
That was a fun afternoon. Poor chap had to go and have a little sit down to get over the shock and got properly told off by his boss as well...

yorkshireyummymummy Thu 05-Oct-17 16:52:13

I came home with shopping while putting it away I saw that the fridge wasn't working. Thought it might be the fuse. Pulled fridge out. Ripped brand new Lino. replaced fuse. Nothing. Called man out to help from yellow pages ( going back a few years). He couldn't work out what had happened. I decided to get myself a drink while he scratched his head. Pulled bottle of wine out of rack. Fridge came on.
When I had put wine into rack the bottle of wine had hit the emergency " off switch" that was hidden by said wine rack. Wine had hit switch enough for the fridge to go off and when I pulled the bottle out switch titled back to "on". Man charged me £35 ( after hinting that he would accept an alternative form of payment)
So I drank the wine which has cost me £35, and ripped Lino.
Then that night the fucking house rabbit that I never wanted ate a bigger hole in the Lino. Joy of joys.
Wait till we get a thread where I can tell you about the stalky decorator..........

louisajj432 Thu 05-Oct-17 17:08:43

I'm intrequed ha ha
Well yesterday I seen my fridge was off first and assumed that it was broke ..nearly went on Argos to order a new one but realised my charger wasn't working either.

LittleLights Thu 05-Oct-17 17:15:08

Washing machine working intermittently.

Called repair man.

Washing machine on way out.

Ordered new washing machine.

New washing machine installed.

New washing machine working intermittently.

Slammed tumble dryer door shut in frustration after washing machine had stopped again.

Washing machine sprung back to live.

Tumble dryer had been pushed too far back and was hitting the electric switch for washing machine every time.

blush

BMW6 Thu 05-Oct-17 17:49:09

I once called out an electrician because my cooker oven wasn't working. He looked at it, turned the timer off and lo and behold it worked! blush
He didn't want any payment believe it or not!

WhooooAmI24601 Thu 05-Oct-17 18:04:07

Don't feel stupid, everyone makes boo-boos when they're learning to do DIY. When we first moved to where we are now I thought I'd be a lovely helper and build DH's office furniture for him. All went well then at the end I realised the suggestion was to attach the shelving unit to the wall. I screwed the screws in and one stopped, refusing to move. So I hit it with a hammer and heard a little "tssssss" noise.

I'd gone through a water pipe, at 9pm on a Sunday, so the emergency plumber had to come and remove a huge chunk of plaster in order to fix it. I was banned from touching hammers again for a while.

louisajj432 Thu 05-Oct-17 18:48:52

I feel a bit better now..
I'm very wary about where I put this wall art now tho ha ha

iklboo Thu 05-Oct-17 18:52:24

Dad called out the video repair man because it wasn't working - after much faffing, trying to switch on and off and swearing.

Man comes out - callout fee of £20 (back in the day). Nana had unplugged it to do the hoovering the day before.

Holdbacktheriver Thu 05-Oct-17 18:59:29

Sorry op this has given me a giggle.

Just so you know you are not alone my DH has done this not once but twice!! The second time he got a nasty shock (is fine now) so has learnt his lesson grin

BeatriceBeaudelaire Thu 05-Oct-17 19:07:05

We used a detector to find the struts in the wall so we could put up a mirror ... drilled through ... idiot detector had found a pipe not a strut. Luckily, we didn’t go through it but now we have a bloody big hole in the wallangry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now