Talk

Advanced search

To think I can't earn 50k working from home?

(165 Posts)
3gorgeousgirlies Thu 05-Oct-17 12:14:43

Does anyone successfully do this ?

I'm after inspiration .

CaveMum Thu 05-Oct-17 12:15:33

The adverts that claim this are usually for MLM companies.

existentialmoment Thu 05-Oct-17 12:15:37

It's incredibly unlikely, and if you had the skills or possibility to do so you wouldn't need to be asking about it on here.

ItReallyWasNotMe Thu 05-Oct-17 12:16:49

I earn this working from Home as a reseller online. Bloody hard work though!

Roomster101 Thu 05-Oct-17 12:19:35

I'm sure that quite a lot of those who work from home earn more than that but often they will be professionals working for a company who allows/prefers people to work from home rather than an office.

KarateKitten Thu 05-Oct-17 12:20:11

If you have proper skills and experience in certain jobs you can.

But the fact that you are looking for inspiration doesn't bode well. You either need to be a very focused and smart entrepreneur or already have a solid career and training in something like IT or accounting.

hiyasminitsme Thu 05-Oct-17 12:21:37

I do. But I have a professional qualification.

splendidisolation Thu 05-Oct-17 12:22:55

I do but postgraduate training etc

deezer19 Thu 05-Oct-17 14:39:48

I WFH part-time, self employed. My 'salary' fluctuates but it would probably be about £60k if I was full-time. Depends entirely on what you do for a living, though.

BeyondThePage Thu 05-Oct-17 14:41:18

My brother does - he is an accountant.

2014newme Thu 05-Oct-17 14:41:20

Yes professional. Have done for 5 years.
But just been made redundant.
It was quite lonely and boring I have to say.

Newtssuitcase Thu 05-Oct-17 14:42:00

I earn that and more but have a professional qualification (lawyer)

BriechonCheese Thu 05-Oct-17 14:43:13

Depends on your qualifications, what skills you have and previous experience.

I earn a good living running my own business and consulting on the side.

ClariceClap Thu 05-Oct-17 14:44:35

I do but I am in the situation described by Roomster. If you don't already have a profession then it might be worth finding one you're interested in first. Many big companies allow working from home in e.g. IT or finance but it comes after being well-established in that sector.

PurpleCrazyHorse Thu 05-Oct-17 14:44:40

DH could but he has a professional qualification and lots of industry experience. It would be doing his current job but being self-employed (and probably in London).

I agree that if you don't have a professional qualification this is very hard to achieve.

CMOTDibbler Thu 05-Oct-17 14:45:47

I do, but its a job I previously did from an office base

JaniceBattersby Thu 05-Oct-17 14:47:34

I'm allowed to work from home if I want to but I get too lonely, too demotivated and I miss having people to chat to so I choose to work from the office. Working from home is great if you're avoiding a horrific commute but otherwise it's just the same job in a different location.

If you're hoping to be with kids at home and do a job at the same time then no, there's no way you're going to be able to focus enough to earn 50k.

peachgreen Thu 05-Oct-17 14:48:27

I did as a freelance copywriter, but I have 10+ years' experience in marketing and writing, a substantial portfolio and a ready-made bank of clients.

I hated it though - it took over my life, I worked weird hours (though not more than full time, but often I'd have a crazy 60 hour week and then nothing the next week) and I was very isolated. Plus I found it stressful to have to plan for illness / holiday / tax bills etc, and wouldn't have got much maternity pay.

Much happier in a full time role earning £20k less!

Cath2907 Thu 05-Oct-17 14:50:56

I work full time from home and earn a good bit over 50k. HOWEVER I work for a London based consultancy in a highly professional role. I have a degree and 17 years relevant experience and am considered an industry expert in my area. I have worked from home for 8 years but even in my line of work fully decentralised roles are not common.

Ttbb Thu 05-Oct-17 14:51:46

I've known lots of people who have running their own businesses, writing books or doing legal work from home.

Kez100 Thu 05-Oct-17 14:52:15

I probably could (I'm an accountant) but choose not to.

I prefer a bigger organisation where I have people to bounce ideas off of and to cover for me when ill. And, the main reason, its really not as easy as people think working from home unless you have a very separate area. I find even with an office work life is blurred at the lines and I am sure I would find it worse at home.

Equally, I am sure it could be done, but you need the qualifications, networks to gain clients and the experience before going on your own.

dantdmistedious Thu 05-Oct-17 14:54:18

I do but I am employed with the option of working from home.

lunar1 Thu 05-Oct-17 14:56:02

Yes but it uses my professional qualifications and 18 years experience.

ImogenTubbs Thu 05-Oct-17 14:57:25

I do, but after 15 years experience in my field and being fortunate enough to find a company who supports this. It's quite rare in my industry. I could earn more if I worked in an office though.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Thu 05-Oct-17 14:57:35

It's incredibly unlikely, and if you had the skills or possibility to do so you wouldn't need to be asking about it on here

burn ! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now