Talk

Advanced search

To ask what's your favourite horror movie scene ever?

(129 Posts)
HateSummer Thu 05-Oct-17 11:03:31

In celebration of Halloween!

Mine is this one from Poltergeist II. What makes it more upsetting is that Julian Beck who played Henry Kane was suffering from stomach cancer during filming.

God is in his holy temple

DJBaggySmalls Thu 05-Oct-17 11:05:36

Tiptoe Through The Tulips (Insidious)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQxV7ojsk9M

HateSummer Thu 05-Oct-17 11:09:59

Yeah that insidious scene is creepy! There's another scene in that movie when the demon's head pops up behind the dad's head I think. That's really scary too.

Tastesjustlikecherrycola85 Thu 05-Oct-17 11:10:19

More psychological than horror, but the shower scene from psycho

HateSummer Thu 05-Oct-17 11:21:00

I've never seen Psycho I've just googled it, and that's like my worst nightmare! Someone coming in whilst I'm having a shower!

I've seen American Psycho though and the first time they show him killing someone, dancing around. It's so funny and shocking. That's a good scene too.

makeourfuture Thu 05-Oct-17 12:17:32

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLJtKlVVZw

Another Hitchcock.

jaseyraex Thu 05-Oct-17 12:34:04

Pretty much any Freddy Krueger kill. Personal favourite is from Freddy's Dead The Final Nightmare, where he cuts the deaf boys ear off and replaces his hearing aid with some thing that heightens his hearing. Finally blowing the boys head up with the loud screeching of his knife hand on a chalkboard. The video game kill from the same movie is pretty cool too.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 05-Oct-17 12:35:39

You must watch Psycho, its a classic! really creepy with loads of tension & jumps, rather than gore. It makes you use your imagination as well.

I didnt realise that tiptoe clip is cut short, the bit that comes straight after is just as bad.
The scene in 28 weeks later where the infected woman appears through the slats always makes me jump.

MissionItsPossible Thu 05-Oct-17 12:36:16

I like the opening scene from the original Scream with Drew Barrymore. So iconic.

There is also a really powerful scene from House of 1000 corpses which was beautifully shot, very tension driven and scary.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du9p_txjbsM

Saucery Thu 05-Oct-17 12:38:50

The Paranormal Activity series film where 'Toby' picks the girl up by her hair. I've seen a lot scarier but that really gets to me.

jaseyraex Thu 05-Oct-17 12:40:57

MissionItsPossible

Totally agree with the House of 1000 Corpses scene. That and when they unveil fish boy is my favourite.

MissionItsPossible Thu 05-Oct-17 12:54:31

jaseyraex

Hardly anyone I know knows about HO1C! My sister and I saw it at the cinema not knowing anything about it. I really like it and find it way better than the sequel The Devils Rejects which most people prefer. Hmm, I might watch it this Halloween!

Puzzledandpissedoff Thu 05-Oct-17 12:57:45

The execution of Delacroix in The Green Mile

I know it's not strictly a horror film as such, but it's years since I watched it and I still can't get that awful, awful scene out of my mind

DJBaggySmalls Thu 05-Oct-17 13:08:40

Poltergeist stacking chairs.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJkgIs_NzYw

maddiemookins16mum Thu 05-Oct-17 13:08:43

I can still scare myself silly watching the original Halloween film with Jamie Lee Curtis. I think the music does it.

brummiesue Thu 05-Oct-17 13:13:36

'Head on a stick' in Wolf Creek, nasty nasty film but I love it wink

minionsrule Thu 05-Oct-17 13:14:02

Here's Johnny grin

NamasteTheFuckAwayFromMe Thu 05-Oct-17 13:15:29

The bit at the end of The Descent when she's in the cave holding out the birthday cake to her dead daughter.

I didn't realise I was claustrophobic until I saw that film!

SumThucker Thu 05-Oct-17 13:17:23

Yes to the Poltergeist chair scene, the camera doesn't break shot making it even scarier.

lessworriedaboutthecat Thu 05-Oct-17 13:23:06

Poltergeist 2 may well be the scariest film I've ever seen. Maybe because I was 10 or 11 when I saw it but that film has a real atmosphere of evil about it. Maybe because I was brought relatively religiously but there's something about the devil and demons (I know their not real) and religion in general that creeps me out.
In the same vein I give you Event Horizon.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSSXEGoO53Y

lessworriedaboutthecat Thu 05-Oct-17 13:24:39

That's the point at the cinema where I realized that Event Horizon wasn't going to be a jolly Aliens style bug hunt.

NamasteTheFuckAwayFromMe Thu 05-Oct-17 13:28:24

There's an actual serial killer in The Exorcist. Real doctors were used during a scene where Regan is in hospital. One of the techs is a guy called Paul Bateson who murdered gay men in the late 70's in New York.

HateSummer Thu 05-Oct-17 13:32:09

jasey I'm really scared of Freddy Kruger, but that part you've described I remember was hilarious! The deaf boy can't hear Freddy and he's behind him making scary gestures and gets extremely annoyed. What makes it funnier is that you can't hear anything like the boy. Then when freddy pushes the sofa or whatever he wipes the sweat of his face it's so funny!

lessworried yes I agree it did have an evilness about it. I was about the same age when I watched it and Henry Kane is probably one of scariest characters in a horror film for me, after Freddy Kruger ofcourse!

DJ I'll watch Psycho sometime this month, I love watching scary films during this time of year!

Enjoying these clips!

KathyBeale Thu 05-Oct-17 13:33:34

I think the scariest bit in Paranormal Activity is when she realises the 'thing' is standing next to her and she says she can feel it breathing, and her hair just lifts up slightly in the breath.

TrueSojourner Thu 05-Oct-17 13:34:33

Weren’t there a series of awful mishaps that happened to all those on the set of Exorcist?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now