Advanced search

Neighbour and her dog

(19 Posts)
Dancingfairy Thu 05-Oct-17 10:22:28

I live in a flat on the top floor, the flat is an L shape (best way to describe it) I'm on the bottom part of the 'L' at the end and have one neighbour next to me. On the other part of the L is 3 neighbours. In the middle of the L is a gate which separates mine and my neighbours flats from the other 3. Hope that makes sense. So anyway my next door neighbour recently got a dog who she has been locking outside on the communal balcony and front entrance to the our flats. Seems she does it as she can't be bothered to walk it. I reported it to the council as it ran in my house once. And generally it's not very pleasant trying to pass a dog that is jumping up at you and barking whilst trying to get in and out of my flat. Anyway the council basically didn't help at all and said they needed proof or it would help it others complained also, but as none of the other 3 neighbours live on our side so they are not going to complain as doesn't effect them! I said I would video it and email it in and I was told that wouldn't be accepted as proof?! What else can I do??

DancesWithOtters Thu 05-Oct-17 10:37:29

Poor dog.

Report to the RSPCA and let them investigate.

Dancingfairy Thu 05-Oct-17 10:38:49

Oh yes I must add her door is locked when she does it.

FarmerGilesRockfordFiles Thu 05-Oct-17 10:39:54

Agree, you should report her to the RSPCA

AdaColeman Thu 05-Oct-17 10:46:31

Contact your local councillor for advice.
Check your rental agreement to see the rules regarding keeping pets.

I would hate that, a dog jumping up at me, what if it knocked you over?

NoCryLilSoftSoft Thu 05-Oct-17 10:49:15

Film it and keep on reporting. Start keeping a diary of when it is locked out, when it runs into your house, when (if) it barks, where it is pooing etc. Take as many photos as you can. No way should this be allowed.

Dancingfairy Thu 05-Oct-17 10:50:02

I have small children as well and it's a large do so I am actually worried it could knock them over it's intimidating aswell.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Thu 05-Oct-17 10:50:11

Dogs are supposed to be under the owner's control. If it is unsupervised in a communal area and running into your house it isn't under control.

Danceswithwarthogs Thu 05-Oct-17 10:50:19

Presumably having dog is not in her tenancy agreement. Tedious, but keep a record for any unsociable incidents (jumping up at you, noise, piles of poo on the walkway you have to use etc). Times, dates and photos. Are you ground floor or is dog likely to be upsetting tenants above/below you?

Danceswithwarthogs Thu 05-Oct-17 10:51:27

Sorry, just saw you're top floor, any risk of dog wee dripping onto balcony below.... that should cause complaint I would think!?

pigsDOfly Thu 05-Oct-17 10:51:35

Try contacting your local dog warden. You'll find the phone number under the council's list of numbers.

davejac Thu 05-Oct-17 10:54:40

Make a diary of every incident with the time and day and then report to council.

Poor dog. Let's hope it finds a more responsible owner one day!

Talkietalk Thu 05-Oct-17 11:11:02

RSPCA and ask the neighbours below if any poo has found its way down

Talkietalk Thu 05-Oct-17 11:12:38

call the police - re your children

LazyDailyMailJournos Thu 05-Oct-17 11:12:41

Does a management agency look after the flats - is it a private block or social housing? If it's private and under an agency then complain to them as I would be very surprised if she was allowed pets in the building. Even if you are (I am and it's acceptable in our building) there are usually very specific rules about pets only being permissible under the terms of the leasehold as long as they don't cause a nuisance. I suspect they would also take a dim view of her keeping the dog in communal areas as well.

FizzyGreenWater Thu 05-Oct-17 11:24:19

RSPCA, and police I guess as per the link above.

You shouldn't be putting up with this for one day never mind keep a diary! - call RSPCA and police and tell them there is a dog locked into the communal area inside your flat, it's not under control and has been abandoned outside and is jumping up at you and your child when you try to pass it.

If that doesn't get them to come and get it, I'd be tempted to get a lead and take it to a shelter!

Wontbedoingthatanytimesoon Thu 05-Oct-17 11:25:04

could you not just talk to her?

I wouldn't call the police unless its a banned breed or aggressive they wont care.

MargaretTwatyer Thu 05-Oct-17 11:29:19

I had this problem. Don't risk going past the dog. If it is out and you need to get into your flat ring the police and tell them you cannot access your flat as there is a dog on the lose. Do it every time, she will her done for having a dog out of control and banned from owning hopefully.

Are you a council tenant? If so if the dog is on the loose go and kick off at their offices about being rehomed because you no longer have safe access to your flat.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Thu 05-Oct-17 11:46:00

Agree with margaret. Make as much a nuisance of yourself as possible until this is sorted.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: