Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To hate the laughing at "lower class" people on here?

(355 Posts)
brasty Thu 05-Oct-17 10:02:40

I know it gets disguised as laughing at certain children's names, phrases, etc, but there is a lot of threads on MN that is really about laughing at poorer people. Hate it.

charlestonchaplin Thu 05-Oct-17 10:19:05

That's true.

speakout Thu 05-Oct-17 10:20:31

Agreed.

sinceyouask Thu 05-Oct-17 10:21:06

Yes, but tbh mostly I laugh at the people making those posts.

LuckLuckLUCK Thu 05-Oct-17 10:22:56

Yes, it's totally cringey. All the sneering at phrases like 'Hun' and the 'Facebook Selling Tat' threads though I will admit they are very funny.

PumpernickleInaWarehouse Thu 05-Oct-17 10:25:04

I noticed this.

WorraLiberty Thu 05-Oct-17 10:25:11

It goes hand in hand with the spelling and grammar police.

"Sorry, I just HAVE to point out you're spelling or 'saying' something wrong".

Errr, as long as you can understand them, then no you don't. Now stop being a dick.

stitchglitched Thu 05-Oct-17 10:26:59

I hate some of the kids name threads on here. Mocking names parents have lovingly chosen for their babies and often with a racist undercurrent too.

AtlanticWaves Thu 05-Oct-17 10:27:00

It's anything to make you feel better isn't it? Sod the person on the other side of the screen.

Totally reminds me of being in school and people making up shit just to look down on you.

clumsyduck Thu 05-Oct-17 10:27:13

Yes I agree , tho I do like a tat thread

The "rough" looking boys hair cuts
Bows for babies are "chavvy"
Picking people up on spelling and grammar is Massivley annoying as some people have dyslexia or other issues they cannot help

Etc etc , everyone is different .

LongWavyHair Thu 05-Oct-17 10:29:35

It's worse on Facebook!
An article about tenants/benefits/people being hungry etc pops up and people seem to go crazy.

ILoveMillhousesDad Thu 05-Oct-17 10:30:19

I agree with you mostly, but I think the tat threads cross the rich/poor divide.

PortiaCastis Thu 05-Oct-17 10:30:34

Well it's very odd how lots of posters are a perfect weight have perfect husbands A* children and a Phd in smugness

sinceyouask Thu 05-Oct-17 10:30:48

often with a racist undercurrent too

Yes, that is something that I've noticed also. Saying that names aren't real names, or are ridiculous, etc, as if only names familiar to and approved by middle class British English speakers are worthy. Funny how some people think their ignorance makes them superior.

RaskolnikovsGarret Thu 05-Oct-17 10:31:15

I agree. It is very transparent.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Thu 05-Oct-17 10:31:44

Totally agree OP. It's cringeworthy seeing people assign themselves a level of superiority because they happen to have different taste in names or clothing than others. Or we're lucky enough to be supported in having a good quality education.

PerfectlyPooPoo Thu 05-Oct-17 10:31:46

this is about the cake smash thread isn't it OP smile

And it's not mc Vs wc etc as I'm Australian and class means shit all to me. It's just a fucking ridiculous thing to do.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 05-Oct-17 10:32:40

I don't understand why people actually post "which baby name"? threads anyway. Surely its all just a matter of personal taste. Why ask? someone will always hate it for whatever reason.

brasty Thu 05-Oct-17 10:32:57

No it isn't, I haven't seen the cake smash thread.
It is really about a lot of threads.

guilty100 Thu 05-Oct-17 10:33:29

Most middle class people I know in real life are quite ashamed of/feel guilty about being privileged - Mumsnet is a very different world where it's a boast.

RhiannonOHara Thu 05-Oct-17 10:33:48

There's also a lot of laughing/sneering at 'posh' people though. No one escapes. grin

ShowMePotatoSalad Thu 05-Oct-17 10:33:56

I agree. And I can't abide the word chav, it's horrible.

stitchglitched Thu 05-Oct-17 10:33:59

I can remember a poster who is usually very preachy and 'right on' about social issues openly mocking some of the names at her children's school which were clearly of African origin. Now everytime she posts I just think what a knob.

Shemozzle Thu 05-Oct-17 10:35:30

I disagree. I think 'chavs' don't have to be a certain class. I know lots of rich people with poor taste in names/clothes/hobbies. You'd be lying if you claimed you didn't find some peoplea choices distasteful surely.

TonicAndTonic Thu 05-Oct-17 10:35:31

I don't think is just on MN by any means, just look at the rise of all the shows on Channel 5 about bailiffs, people on benefits etc. They're pretty awful and also often have a racist and/or xenophobic undercurrent to them sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now