We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To keep DS1 off school?

(28 Posts)
MsPassepartout Thu 05-Oct-17 07:27:02

DS1 (6) was sick all over his bed last night. But afterwards he seemed as right as rain and looked perfectly normal. Looks fine this morning too.

I was planning to keep DS1 off school for the rest of the week because I know school have a 48 hour exclusion policy for vomiting.

DH is insisting this morning that I take DS1 to school. Says it doesn't count if it's just one episode of vomiting, must have been DS1's tea disagreeing with him, DS1 is fine, we don't want DS1 to think he gets fun things (i.e. 2 days off school) as a reward for vomiting, that I shouldn't let school bully me into keeping DS1 off.

I'm inclined to think that DS1 is fine, based on how he's been since, but -
1) we don't know that for certain
2) they have a 48 hour exclusion policy rather than a "do parents think DC are ok" policy for a good reason
3) either DS1 or DS2 would be bound to mention DS1 vomiting to the teachers (DS2 goes to nursery at the school nursery and is in today)
4) he's only in Year 1 so he's not likely to be missing anything vital for the next 2 days anyway

So AIBU to ignore DH and keep DS1 off school?

sad9999 Thu 05-Oct-17 07:27:56

Keep him off

Sirzy Thu 05-Oct-17 07:28:27

Keep him off until Monday

BikeRunSki Thu 05-Oct-17 07:28:56

The 48 rule still counts if it only 1 episode ovmf vomiting!

HappyintheHills Thu 05-Oct-17 07:29:23

Not at all your DH is talking nonsense.

Have you any idea why?

autumnboys Thu 05-Oct-17 07:29:41

Please keep him off. You’re right, your husband is wrong.

I do make life quite boring for mine when they’re off schoo, but I do keep them off.

jaseyraex Thu 05-Oct-17 07:33:02

Keep him off. Might have been his tea disagreeing with him, but it might not have been. Might get worse as the day goes on so I'd keep him off rather than risk it. I'd maybe tell the school though he's only vomitted once and seems fine otherwise. They might suggest if he's still okay tomorrow then he can go in.

Sunnyjac Thu 05-Oct-17 07:33:53

Good job all parents don’t react like your husband, no one would ever get better!

LoyaltyAndLobster Thu 05-Oct-17 07:38:25

I’d keep him off!

rollerbladersrule Thu 05-Oct-17 07:40:28

hmm

This is why sickness bugs are so rife in school. The rule is 48 hrs after the last time they were sick, you don't know for sure it was just something he ate or otherwise so why risk spreading it throughout the class when he should be at home.

whatsthecomingoverthehill Thu 05-Oct-17 07:42:16

My kids school they say it's ok to come in after a single episode.

rollerbladersrule Thu 05-Oct-17 07:42:31

Its also really odd what your DH said about "rewarding" him for vomiting confused.

He is hardly going to vomit again on purpose for another 2 days off and he is so young let the boy rest.

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Thu 05-Oct-17 07:45:34

A reward for vomiting - your DH has some odd language choices. Vomiting is not bad or naughty. Keep him off.

HappyintheHills Thu 05-Oct-17 07:45:35

Oh yes. The rule for mine was that if you are at home sick you are in bed and life will be boring. For mine it was no TV, these days it would be no screens. That worked to deter them from throwing sickies.

CatsRidingRollercoasters Thu 05-Oct-17 07:45:43

I'm a teacher and parents like your dh really annoy me.

Have you ever had to deal with the aftermath of a child vomiting all over everyone's books during maths, for example? Or everyone's school dinners?

Not to mention the immunocompromised children and adults you know nothing about.

You can still be contagious for up to 48 hours after the last bout of d or v.

School has a policy to protect everyone. If your dh doesn't like it, he'll have to home ed because you won't find another school with a different policy.

LoverOfCake Thu 05-Oct-17 07:46:14

As it happened overnight I would keep him off today but not tomorrow assuming it's a one off.

And absolutely no fun things to do at home when you're off sick. It's not rewarding for being sick but at this age they do learn very quickly that if being off sick at home is fun they will be less likely to want to go in. So stay in bed with no television etc....

Mumof41987 Thu 05-Oct-17 07:46:19

48 hr rule !!

MrsKCastle Thu 05-Oct-17 07:47:17

Keep him off.

bumblingbovine49 Thu 05-Oct-17 07:53:22

If he is sick once, call the school and say you are keeping him off for a day. If he has 24 hours without being sick or having diorhhea he is very very unlikely to be suffering from DV bug so you don't need to keep him off another day. The 48 hrs from last symptom assumes he has had a bug and may still be contagious. If he doesn't have a bug then 48 hrs not required. You do however need 24 hrs to be sure he doesn't have a bug IYSWIM. One bout of vomitting can be anything but you won't know what it is for a few hours.

MsPassepartout Thu 05-Oct-17 08:06:07

I shall keep him off with a clear conscience then!

I wasn't planning any fun things.
If he's too well to fancy resting, I was thinking something like spelling and maths and reading books with maybe a science experiment thrown in. Or maybe getting him to help me do some cleaning and tidying.

HappyintheHills Thu 05-Oct-17 09:03:16

Sounds perfect OP.

My DSs are in their 20s and have fond memories of boring time off when they needed it and no inclination to bunk off.

MsPassepartout Thu 05-Oct-17 09:23:28

CatsRidingRollercoasters

I've never worked in schools but I remember being that child. There were a number of occasions when I got sent into primary school ill because it was inconvenient for my parents to keep me off, which ended up with me vomiting all over in assembly or class (and church on one memorable occasion).

It wasn't nice for me or the people who had to clean it up. Another good reason to err on the side of caution with these things.

lornathewizzard Thu 05-Oct-17 09:37:24

Jeez this really riles me. 48hrs is 48hrs whether it’s 1 or 10 bouts! Overheard a girls mum telling teacher at nursery that her daughter had been throwing up all Saturday night but was fine now (Monday). Just keep them off ffs. Now there are several kids off (not to say they caught it before or after this girl but jeez give them a chance)

BrieAndChilli Thu 05-Oct-17 09:42:17

DD gets travel sick and was once sick in the school car park as we had had to do a detour through very windy lanes. I knew it was just travels sickness but I still had to take her home and keep her off for 48 hours!!!! She was absolutely fine and I knew it wasn’t a bug.

my2bundles Thu 05-Oct-17 10:10:25

Stick to the 48 hour rule. It is there to protect the other children and staff. I don't understand why parents enforce when a child is ill that it has to be boring, no tv, stay in bed ec. Mine respond far better to home comforts like being close to me, tv etc I really don't see the logic behind making a sick child lay n bed all day, that makes me feel worse when I'm ill never mind my kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now