Talk

Advanced search

Are Petit Filous really that bad? What yoghurts do you give to your kids?

(139 Posts)
Geordielassinacoat Wed 04-Oct-17 23:31:20

From the "is this an acceptable tea" thread yesterday, there was a lots of comments about PF's being bad. So, what yoghurts does everyone give their kids? I need some ideas!

NikiBabe Wed 04-Oct-17 23:32:29

I guess it is the sugar content. But there is sugar in everything.

I dont think they are that bad.

SaucyJack Wed 04-Oct-17 23:32:38

The ones with Paw Patrol on.

Fucking bite me.

LovingLola Wed 04-Oct-17 23:34:21

Just plain ordinary full fat unflavoured no-added-sugar yoghurt.

penstemon Wed 04-Oct-17 23:34:28

My friend doesn't give her DC petit filou etc due to the sugar content. Instead, she gives them plain Greek yogurt & then allows them to put a tablespoon of jam in it to "give it some flavour" ... and sugar!

DesignedForLife Wed 04-Oct-17 23:37:19

Ones with Thomas on.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Wed 04-Oct-17 23:37:28

I use the Little Yeo yogurts - they have no refined sugar in, just fruit purée and a little grape juice.

kingfishergreen Wed 04-Oct-17 23:38:38

Yeo valley organic plain yogurt - but usually with fruit/berries which are basically pure sugar.

There will always be healthier options, but I couldn't bring myself to worry over the odd Petite Filous.

rightnowimpissed Wed 04-Oct-17 23:40:07

Peppa yogurts, they like them and it’s peace so sue me.

HoHoHoHo Wed 04-Oct-17 23:41:55

I buy petit filous for dp's kids but then end up eating most of it myself

icelolly99 Wed 04-Oct-17 23:43:28

My youngest will only eat strawberry-vanilla Munch Bunch; no other brand/shop/flavour..... 🙄

QuackDuckQuack Wed 04-Oct-17 23:43:39

We have the Little Yeos which I’m sure were lower sugar than Petit Filous. But I’ve just looked them up and they aren’t. They’ve got about a teaspoon of sugar in a little pot. I can’t be bothered to care. I’m sure if I’d done everything right from the start I’d have children who would eat unsweetened yogurt. But I didn’t and I wouldn’t eat it myself either. So I blame my parents and their parents before them.

Ttbb Wed 04-Oct-17 23:44:14

All flavoured yoghurts are obscenely sugary-yes, even the yeo valley stuff (or should I say especially). We just buy the M&S kids yoghurts for flavoured yoghurt because they are the least disgusting.

TwatteryFlowers Wed 04-Oct-17 23:44:14

Tesco value version of petit filou. I used to buy those chocolate petit filous desserts but I kept eating them so I stopped.

badbadhusky Wed 04-Oct-17 23:44:42

My kids like the PF chocolate and vanilla desserts, so that's what we buy. I like them too & sometimes nick 'em for my packed lunch.

Ojoj1974 Wed 04-Oct-17 23:44:52

Stick to natural yogurt with puréed fruit or a bit of honey sprinkled with ground nuts

skankingpiglet Wed 04-Oct-17 23:45:16

I get Little Yeos for the DCs, although I let the 3yo have a 'grown-up yoghurt' as a treat now and then. I wouldn't mind them having some of the other more sugary ones like PF, but as they are happy with sharper less-sweet ones I figure there's no point until it's demanded.
DD1 has occasionally asked for the Peppa Pig ones, but happily believes me when I said she wouldn't like them as they "are disgusting and taste like smelly socks". Poor gullible mite grin

Pascall Wed 04-Oct-17 23:45:54

While doing some terribly middle class youth hostelling in the summer, I actually saw some children eating plain natural yoghurt on its own. Voluntarily! It wasn't even greek yoghurt, and there was NO FRUIT involved shock

My two were raised on frubes, though neither of them will touch any kind of yoghurt now.

Fuckoffee Wed 04-Oct-17 23:46:20

Mine adore Sykr with fresh fruit halo

Ha ha ha only kidding. Spiderman is the only acceptable flavour in this house grin

AliPfefferman Wed 04-Oct-17 23:47:16

Plain full fat Fage total with honey (aka sugar). I don't know if it's any better than refined sugar but it makes me feel a bit better, and I do really limit the amount of honey that goes in. Full fat Fage really is better than other yogurts and it is so good and rich that you don't need to add much. Personally I eat it plain with no honey and I think it's delicious.

Blahblahboo Wed 04-Oct-17 23:47:41

I mainly give mine Greek or natural yoghurt as it is much healthier.

CoffeenoTea Wed 04-Oct-17 23:47:43

Tube ones for school from aldi,none for the house as they go waste.

Blahblahboo Wed 04-Oct-17 23:47:51

I mainly give mine Greek or natural yoghurt as it is much healthier.

Pascall Wed 04-Oct-17 23:49:05

Actually, the plastic waste upsets me more than the sugar content. Can't begin to think how many frubes they went through.

Teaching them to knit their own muesli these days though (they are teens now), so hoping to offset that eventually.

Muddlingalongalone Wed 04-Oct-17 23:59:57

My fridge currently has frubes, paw patrol & Thomas the tank engine.

The morrisons basic range full fat fromage frais ones are better sugar wise but I didn't shop online this week I went to the supermarket with the little angels in tow......and I will buy anything for a quiet life other than those awful yolly things my mum bought dd1 last year and she's been asking for ever since. They were unbelievably artificially sweet tasting

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: