Talk

Advanced search

To think most people don't realise how important sleep is?

(94 Posts)
Notcontent Wed 04-Oct-17 23:20:55

I was reading a really interesting article recently, about a man who studies the role of sleep in our health. Anyway, in a nutshell he was staying that lack of sleep has a huge impact on our health and life expectancy, but that most people now are chronically sleep deprived. And while we are bombarded with messages about healthy eating, etc. sleep is seen by our society as almost optional.

I think this is so true. Most adults I speak to don't get enough sleep - and I think a lot of secondary aged kids don't either.

HLBug Wed 04-Oct-17 23:30:01

I agree with you OP, but I can't help chuckle at the irony of you posting this at 11.20pm (unless you're not in the UK of course).

SwedishEdith Wed 04-Oct-17 23:30:38

Well, no. But to get enough means I'd need to go to bed at 23:00 which is too early. grin

PortiaCastis Wed 04-Oct-17 23:31:11

I suffer with insomnia

BIWI Wed 04-Oct-17 23:32:29

It's true. But no-one who writes articles like this ever seems to be able to say how people should sleep better!

Longdistance Wed 04-Oct-17 23:32:49

I'm like Portia.

It sucks.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Wed 04-Oct-17 23:33:14

I agree with you OP. I think lack of sleep was the main factor in me developing PND and the ive never managed to break the bad sleep habits since DS was born and it affects every aspect of my life. I've been thinking this week how I really need to tackle it once and for all and get some sort of a life back. I've been chronically sleep deprived for 8 years and counting. I want to not feel drained all the time!

Ninjakittysmells Wed 04-Oct-17 23:33:43

Also had a giggle at your posting time grin

I genuinely think I am permenantly sleep deprived - I was poorly on Tuesday and lay down for what was meant to be a 20 minutes nap. I woke up 4 hours later. 4 bloody hours!

Ds sleeps through now (albeit in my bed) so I don’t even understand why I’m not sleeping. I need to goto bed!

NoCryLilSoftSoft Wed 04-Oct-17 23:33:48

Also, I look like shit with hair. grin

PortiaCastis Wed 04-Oct-17 23:35:03

Yes it's crap waiting for daylight every morning having had no or just a couple of hours sleep.

mirime Wed 04-Oct-17 23:37:22

I've never slept well and find it almost impossible to sleep in the day so I'm rarely able to catch up on sleep even if I get the chance. It's awful.

I had an operation last year and during the recovery I did get a reasonable amount of sleep, I guess a combination of my body really needing it to heal and the large doses of codeine. It was the least sleep deprived I've been for 20 odd years.

TizzyDongue Wed 04-Oct-17 23:37:35

Getting more sleep is a great theory.

Doobigetta Wed 04-Oct-17 23:37:59

There is nothing more stressful and depressing for insomniacs than being told how important sleep is for your health and longevity.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Wed 04-Oct-17 23:38:59

I would love more sleep. Perhaps the man who studies sleep could nip round and explain its importance to my baby..... grin

NoCryLilSoftSoft Wed 04-Oct-17 23:40:13

Perhaps the man who studies sleep could nip round and explain its importance to my baby..... grin

grin even better, he could take all our children off for a fortnight and then tell us how well he slept after it?

Squarerouteofsquirrel Wed 04-Oct-17 23:40:38

they don't realise how important it is until they can't sleep, then they realise.

Priam Wed 04-Oct-17 23:41:39

I've always (unsurprisingly) : felt dire, had shorter attention span and less patience, been grumpier and less kind, and achieved less on less than my required dose of sleep (about 8 hours a night).
The effect is dramatically noticeable.
So I have always realised the importance of sleep without needing any expert to tell me!

TizzyDongue Wed 04-Oct-17 23:42:24

Actually I think it's that most people, who don't experience trouble sleeping , don't realise is just how much people who do have trouble sleeping really understand the importance of sleep.

And no I can't 'just go to sleep if I'm tired.

NapQueen Wed 04-Oct-17 23:42:35

My last job was shiftwork and with two small dcs I would often end up with maybe 4-5 hours of sleep a night. And if they woke too it was then broken sleep. I was ill ALL the time. I had pneumonia, frequent heavy colds, gallbladder issues etc. It was dire.

Ended up taking a random temp admin job just to get into a proper sleep schedule and Ive not been ill since. Good sleep = good health = good mental health.

Agree with pps above though, that how to get to sleep even when you have the opportunity isnt always so easy.

I dont have very good sleep hygeine. I play on my phone ij bed and watch tv etc but Ive sort of conditioned myself to fall asleep to two tv shows so maybe 5 mins in max im out for the count. Does mean I rarely watch them in the daytime as they make me sleepy.

AnnieAnoniMouse Wed 04-Oct-17 23:43:06

I agree, I'm just not sure how knowing that helps though. Most people don't think 'Oh I know, I'll get as little sleep as I possibly can'. I guess some people could make an effort to get more sleep, but mostly it's not an option people have.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Wed 04-Oct-17 23:46:26

I actually went to bed today for 2 hours at lunchtime. I felt so guilty about it and tried to talk myself out of doing it but I was/am exhausted. I never sleep during the day but I have had a fuggy head and suspect I might be coming down with something (perhaps because I don't sleep enough!). Still feel guilty despite not having anything I should have been doing.

Right now though I should be sleeping hmm

NoCryLilSoftSoft Wed 04-Oct-17 23:48:26

Ive sort of conditioned myself to fall asleep to two tv shows so maybe 5 mins in max im out for the count.

Interesting, me too!! I haven't gone to sleep without the TV on for years and before that it was the radio from around 8 years old. Now I'm in a shitty predicament of not being able to sleep without one of 3 shows being on.

Butterymuffin Wed 04-Oct-17 23:48:41

Me too blush

just5morepeas Wed 04-Oct-17 23:53:18

If it helps any insomniacs feel a bit better, I think there was a study that showed that even if you just lay down in bed with your eyes closed and don't get any actual sleep, it still leaves you more well rested than if you had stayed up and not tried to sleep at all.

I find knowing that takes the pressure off me in a weird way so I'm not lying there thinking "if I go to sleep now, I'll get 6 hours sleep . . . if I go to sleep now I'll get 5 hours sleep . . . etcetc" and I'm more likely to actual get to sleep.

SingaSong12 Wed 04-Oct-17 23:56:49

I have a tendency to insomnia and lack of sleep is a good indication something is wrong. I hate the sailing by theme on Radio 4, which was constantly on in our house. I knew it was late if I was still awake (think it was 12.30). That would have been 7 years old onwards. Problem was I was always awake to hear to the UK Theme sea songs at 5.30 no matter how late I slept.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now