Talk

Advanced search

Attitudes to public breastfeeding in Germany

(41 Posts)
Nightsleepneeded Wed 04-Oct-17 09:07:40

Does anyone know what the attitude towards public breastfeeding is like in Germany in general?

Bananalanacake Wed 04-Oct-17 09:22:58

I am English and have lived in Germany for 3 years, bf my dd1 for 2 years and now bf my 4mo, never had any negative feedback, only smiles. Bf On a bench in a shopping centre a young lad, 20 years or so, gave me a lovely smile, then I noticed he was pushing a pram. Bf on a bench in Berlin Tiergarten and a lady comes up and asks if a little girl on her own is mine, I said no, I've only got this one, my 9mo DD turned to look at her exposing my boob, but the lady was more concerned about the lone girl. What I'm saying is only positive experiences but I suppose it can vary.

anzu66 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:26:34

It is totally accepted.

I'm in Berlin. DS was born here, and I breastfed out and about with no one paying any attention at all.
Also I travel a lot on public transport, and see a lot of women doing it either in a train or bus, or while waiting for one. No one else cares. I suspect most people don't even notice.

n0ne Wed 04-Oct-17 09:37:11

Germans have no issue with nudity so it's no problem.

WorraLiberty Wed 04-Oct-17 09:43:50

Bf On a bench in a shopping centre a young lad, 20 years or so, gave me a lovely smile

That's really sweet but I imagine there would be a fair few MNetters who would have accused him of 'leering' at them << eye roll >>

mowglik Wed 04-Oct-17 09:51:27

I don’t think nudity is a big deal there I remember visiting in the nineties and seeing a whole uncensored breast on a Benetton ad!

My cousin in Germany has children and has bf them no problem

Hoppinggreen Wed 04-Oct-17 09:55:21

Well shower gel ads show nipples there so I doubt they have an issue with bf!!
DH (German) finds our toiletry adverts hilarious for the amount of contortion that goes on to make sure only the minimum amount of flesh is shown

C0rdelia Wed 04-Oct-17 10:02:14

I had 2 babies in Germany. Never a problem with breastfeeding.

The only negative comments I ever had were if the duvet in the pram didn't block out all view of the tiny occupant and there was a danger that he/she was cold.

Katedotness1963 Wed 04-Oct-17 10:05:10

Never had a problem breastfeeding, but I did get told I hadn't dressed him properly when I went from the house to the car without putting a hat on him.

existentialmoment Wed 04-Oct-17 10:20:10

Nobody will care if you have your breasts out as long as the child has a hat on. If not, every single older lady you see will give out to you or tut or mutter and glare!

BarbarianMum Wed 04-Oct-17 10:27:14

Yes, the baby must be warm. That's very important. My mum's German, has lived in the UK for 40 years and has dedicated her life to trying to get friends and family to wrap their children up more snugly. Now I'm approaching 50 I'm starting to look at babies in the street and think they're cold. Must be genetic.

Breastfeeding in public will be fine. Germans are fine with purposeful nudity.

rightnowimpissed Wed 04-Oct-17 10:36:16

It’s hardly nudity though

Teutonic Wed 04-Oct-17 10:36:48

We don't care, seriously. To us breasts are just breasts, they're viewed in pretty much the same way as any other body part.

Nightsleepneeded Wed 04-Oct-17 11:19:45

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to respond!

And very grateful for the tips about keeping baby warm!

Squtternutbosch Wed 04-Oct-17 11:33:49

Will add my voice to the majority. I am in Berlin and have had absolutely no issue breastfeeding while out and about, breastfeeding in front of my (male) boss, breastfeeding on public transport, in a restaurant, you name it. But seriously old ladies will touch your child and look like they might be about to call social services if he or she is not completely encased in a sheepskin. I fee I should also add that I am still breastfeeding my almost 1-year old son and have felt no inkling of hostility or judgement towards it even though it may now be considered "extended". It's just normal.

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Wed 04-Oct-17 11:40:53

Don't know if rest of Germany is different but I spent a lot of time in Berlin when DS was bf.
From 3 months to 3 years I never had one negative comment or look, in fact it was positively encouraged.

Remember once slogging about with DS in sling, he was really, really miserable, it was pissing it down and was desperate to sit down and feed him.
Sat down on bench to feed him.
Waitress at a cafe saw me, ushered me in the cafe, sat me in the comfiest seat, gave me a free hot chocolate and was generally amazing.

But yeah...be aware, every single older lady will be v v interested in how warm DC are, they are obsessed with it.

Also be prepared for loads of lovely people being nice to you, it was really eye opening after UK and being given evil looks for feeding a newborn in a cafe!

madwomanacrosstheroad Wed 04-Oct-17 11:51:52

Yes, sheepskin and feather/down duvet in pram plus optional hot water bottle. A hat is very important. You can walk around naked. Nobody will care.

BroomstickOfLove Wed 04-Oct-17 11:57:29

So you still get tutted at and told to cover up, only it's the baby instead of the boob?grin

PurplePillowCase Wed 04-Oct-17 12:00:46

it's a total non issue.

be aware of the 'granny police' (i.e. unsolicited advice sternly given by mostly older women)
socks and hats are a must, as is a proper warm blanket in the parent facing pushchair even in a heatwave wink

ShanghaiDiva Wed 04-Oct-17 12:02:00

Agree with others. My do was born in Germany and never had any negative comments.
Also had a sheepskin in the pram and ds wore hats!

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Wed 04-Oct-17 12:02:17

Basically Broomstick yeah! grin

As PP said....you could walk around with everything hanging out, in the middle of a blizzard, and no one will even look at you.

But woe betide you if your baby should be out, even on a lovely Autumn day, without eleventy million layers, a hat, a sheepskin and a portable roaring fire!

Joeymaynardslimegreendress Wed 04-Oct-17 12:08:45

Blimey is ur that cold in Germany then? grin

Katedotness1963 Wed 04-Oct-17 12:14:29

My son was born in July. When the nurse brought him to me after his bath/checks he had about four layers of clothes on and was under a thick baby sized quilt. I was in a thin nightie and sweating like a pig. Honestly he had socks and booties, a cardigan and a hat, in the hospital!!

littlemissangrypants Wed 04-Oct-17 12:14:29

Another German here and yes nudity and breasts are ok to be on show. Germans treat families and children fairly well and they are welcome everywhere.
You will get a load of old people telling you to dress your kids warmer but it will be meant with concern for the kid getting cold kidneys ( seriously they are obsessed with kids getting cold kidneys and cold in general).
While my family visited me in uk I was told off for my toddler son not having tights on plus a vest, t shirt, long sleeved shirt, cardigan and a snowsuit. It was around 5 degrees outside and my poor boy ended up sweating like a pig.

StuntNun Wed 04-Oct-17 12:18:58

I saw women in wearing a hijab and niqab breastfeeding her baby in Legoland Deutschland. I remember thinking it curious that I wasn't allowed to see her face but I could see her boob.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now