Talk

Advanced search

...to be literally speechless after reading this?

(155 Posts)
CSLewis Tue 03-Oct-17 20:23:51

https://apple.news/AxiPl_cmVRTeudBZ6Kc4mRg

CSLewis Tue 03-Oct-17 20:24:48

Link fail confused
Give me a second...

MrsExpo Tue 03-Oct-17 20:26:00

No idea really. Your link doesn't seem to work ..... smile

CSLewis Tue 03-Oct-17 20:27:42

Let's try that again:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/10/03/women-only-cambridge-college-allow-students-simply-identify/amp/

CSLewis Tue 03-Oct-17 20:29:41

Basically, a Cambridge women-only college will now accept anyone who self-identifies as a woman at the time of application.

TabbyMumz Tue 03-Oct-17 20:32:41

What are you speechless about? The fact that there is a women's only college or that they are allowing people to self identify?

toffee1000 Tue 03-Oct-17 20:34:05

There are other threads about this. I assume the OP means self-identifying.

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 03-Oct-17 20:38:09

I think op is outraged men are being allowed in a women only establishment

IAmEatingACurry Tue 03-Oct-17 20:40:01

Probably the latter Tabby.

BubbleLamp Tue 03-Oct-17 20:44:39

It's a fucking disgrace.

ILoveDolly Tue 03-Oct-17 20:45:33

This is pure b.s.. I'm so angry about it. A lot of girls choose the woman only colleges precisely because they don't want to share their living space with men, for whatever reasons. I'm with Germaine on this one. As an alumna of the other women only college in Cambridge, it seems that this is the death knell of SPECIFICALLY female spaces in academia, which are still so important and necessary. I understand ALL the implications of what I'm saying. You can't understand femaleness and the life of women whatever that means just by putting on a dress. These institutions exist because women were so disadvantaged in University education. How is it acceptable to erode that????

grannytomine Tue 03-Oct-17 20:48:08

Are there any men only colleges? Single sex colleges seem very old fashioned.

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 03-Oct-17 20:49:17

Eton?

TabbyMumz Tue 03-Oct-17 20:50:11

Honest question here...are there any men's only Colleges / universities? If so, what do people feel about that? I'm honestly surprised there is a women's only one, didn't know that. Obviously there are single sex schools, but didn't realise there were single sex universities.

TabbyMumz Tue 03-Oct-17 20:50:54

Running out of charge...Eton is a school, not a university?

toffee1000 Tue 03-Oct-17 20:51:43

grannytomine was referring to Oxbridge colleges; Murray Edwards is a Cambridge college. They all used to be all-male, then some were established as all-female. Currently all Oxford undergrad colleges are mixed-sex and all but two Cambridge undergrad colleges are mixed-sex; Newnham is the other all-female Cambridge college.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 03-Oct-17 20:52:06

Eton

Which is a school not a university college.

Mummyoflittledragon Tue 03-Oct-17 20:52:43

Talk about bending over so they can give we women a good shafting! In what way is this appropriate? angry

IAmEatingACurry Tue 03-Oct-17 20:53:19

Honest question here...are there any men's only Colleges / universities?

I have no idea tbh. However I bet if they are/were that they wouldn't allow women who identify as men in.

TabbyMumz Tue 03-Oct-17 20:53:32

I understand these women's colleges may have started because women were disadvantaged, but surely that's not the case now? Why do adults need single sex universities? I always thought university was for preparing students for life..there aren't many single sex workplaces about.

grannytomine Tue 03-Oct-17 20:55:31

Talk about bending over so they can give we women a good shafting! In what way is this appropriate? Why should women have the choice of women only colleges or mixed colleges but the men have only mixed colleges? I don't think the women have got much to moan about.

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 03-Oct-17 20:56:01

Well yes but it’s called Eton college

Someone asked about all male universities/colleges

TabbyMumz Tue 03-Oct-17 20:56:20

Toffee...so they changed the male only colleges to mixed and then left the women's only ones as women's only? Doesn't seem fair somehow?

ssd Tue 03-Oct-17 20:58:05

well I'm speechless that there re uni's or colleges which dont admit men

Eton? hardly represents the uk does it?

TabbyMumz Tue 03-Oct-17 20:58:10

Running out of charge....yes it's called Eton College, but it's a school and only takes kids up to age 18....the op is talking about colleges in Cambridge etc, which are actually universities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now