Talk

Advanced search

To give my toddler a bit of bread?

(515 Posts)
ChequeredPasta Tue 03-Oct-17 20:19:04

I imagine this has already been done to death, and would get the answer if I could be arsed to scroll...
At Waitrose the other day. Put a french bread stick in the trolley, which my toddler (2) saw, and started reaching for it. Told her no, to wait, but she is an untameable beast became upset. So..... I tore off the end and gave it to her BEFORE paying shock One of the staff saw, and gave me a stinker of a look.

Now, my Mum used to do this with us. But, my Mum's understanding of social convention is.... interesting.
WIBU?!

FrizzyNoodles Tue 03-Oct-17 20:21:05

I think that's ok because it still scans.

Subtlecheese Tue 03-Oct-17 20:21:41

No. Quiet toddler = more time in store by parent = more money likely to be spent. This was the approach we always took with people clearly shopping shopping (but not our known shoplifters). Of course this was many years ago now.

mogulfield Tue 03-Oct-17 20:22:32

It's fine because it's not weight related, the barcode is the same if she eats it or not. I'm sure the Waitrose employees would rather that than a screaming child for 30 minutes. Well, I'd prefer that if I worked there.

Orangebird69 Tue 03-Oct-17 20:23:09

I do it all the time with my ds. As long as it's not a weighed item I don't see the problem.

user1493413286 Tue 03-Oct-17 20:24:12

Unless you then put it back on the shelf I don’t see the problem and would do it myself

welshgirlwannabe Tue 03-Oct-17 20:25:18

Why would that be a problem? You're still paying for it. I crack open multi packs of organix crisps when I'm shopping with my toddler shock am I commiting a parenting faux pas??

Ummmmgogo Tue 03-Oct-17 20:25:25

it's fine it still scans. the look was maybe because you gave into a tantrum? or maybe the staff member was looking at someone else and you misinterpreted?

coolaschmoola Tue 03-Oct-17 20:25:44

I wouldn't do it. Until it's paid for it's not yours.

Pengggwn Tue 03-Oct-17 20:26:41

No, it isn't okay. It isn't yours until you've paid for it. Plus, if your card is declined or it turns out you've left your purse at home, you can't regurgitate it and attach it back to the rest of the loaf. Plain old YABU.

T00ManyB00ks Tue 03-Oct-17 20:31:03

I think this is fine. Just reminded me that years ago my dp merrily tucked into a French stick while walking around the supermarket and when we got to the checkout he suddenly remembered he needed to get a paper from the kiosk. So he left me to deal with the sea of crusty breadcrumbs falling out of the packet onto the conveyor belt and covering all the shopping and leaving a trail for the next customer. Red face.

Sunshineface123 Tue 03-Oct-17 20:31:12

I'd definitely do this much better than screaming toddler.

Goldfishshoals Tue 03-Oct-17 20:32:26

Did breaking the french bread create a load of crumbs for the staff member to clean up? Otherwise you were fine.

it turns out you've left your purse at home etc.

If I'd left my purse at home I'd ask the staff to put my trolley aside, go get my purse and buy the shopping, confused wouldn't most people?

Pengggwn Tue 03-Oct-17 20:33:46

Goldfishshoals

That's not the point. It isn't yours as you don't have the means to pay for it, so at that point you've stolen it.

TheHungryDonkey Tue 03-Oct-17 20:35:48

No it’s not on. It hasn’t been paid for. It’s grazing. I think it’s both lazy and dishonest and toddlers are never too young to learn the word no.

Youcanttaketheskyfromme Tue 03-Oct-17 20:37:08

I think it's weird. You haven't paid for it. It's not yours confused

Orangebird69 Tue 03-Oct-17 20:38:04

donkey, my toddler knows what the word 'no' means. But isn't always that reasonable or compliant... hmm

Only1scoop Tue 03-Oct-17 20:38:11

I was never allowed to do this as a dc and have never allowed my dc to do this. In fact she has never and would never ask.

QuackDuckQuack Tue 03-Oct-17 20:38:45

There’s a line. I don’t think you crossed it at all. The worst I’ve seen was a parent letting a toddler eat all of the chocolates from an advent calendar and then dumping the empty advent calendar without paying. I couldn’t decide whether I was most outraged by the toddler being up at 9.30 pm, eating it without paying or opening all of the windows on an advent calendar on one day grin.

Orangebird69 Tue 03-Oct-17 20:39:43

This type of thread always brings out the supermums and perfect kids. 🙄

RubyReins Tue 03-Oct-17 20:42:13

Very common to see this done in France and our family do it with the DC in the supermarket when we go over to visit them. We have done it from time to time here too to keep them occupied. I wouldn't give it any thought at all.

user1471459936 Tue 03-Oct-17 20:42:18

I do this. It's fine - keeps toddler happy.

TheHungryDonkey Tue 03-Oct-17 20:42:31

Orangebird so find an alternative. Eating things you haven’t paid for is not a solution. I’m not a supermum and don’t have Perfect kids. But I think it’s piss poor morals to let children eat products in a supermarket that have not been pay for.

PotteringAlong Tue 03-Oct-17 20:44:27

It's a no from me. It's not yours until it's paid for.

ReanimatedSGB Tue 03-Oct-17 20:44:52

Oh FFS at the catsbumfaces on here. It's fine, OP. You're intending to pay for it, you haven't taken it out of the shop, it's still going to be the same price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now