Talk

Advanced search

to only shampoo my hair twice a week?

(59 Posts)
isawahatonce Tue 03-Oct-17 17:30:43

I have, since I can remember, always washed my hair every day or every other day with shampoo and conditioner (except while travelling or otherwise inconvenienced). However, this morning, when I came to wash my hair, I discovered that the shampoo had all been used up and not replaced from the handy toiletries drawer in the other room. Rather than get out of the shower to fetch it, I just skipped shampoo and only conditioned my hair.
I don't think my hair has ever felt nicer or been less frizzy in my entire life.
It doesn't feel dirty but I feel like it may niggle on me that I haven't washed my hair properly if I make this a regular thing. I was thinking of only shampooing twice a week, when I'm not at work, so that people will only see me when I have lovely soft not-a-complete-mess hair. Please tell me I'm not being unreasonable or gross, I'm imagining a perfect vision of the future where I'm not known as 'the one with the hair'. It'll be wonderful.

BlueThesaurusRex Tue 03-Oct-17 17:46:53

Haha is this serious?! I wash my hair once a week. Seriously.
And I’m not gross!

Maybe the amount of product you’re using means that you’d hair appreciated the break (iyswim) and just using conditioner wouldn’t work for me?

Bobbiepin Tue 03-Oct-17 17:48:54

I wash my hair once a week, its quite dry and that's all it needs unless I've had a particularly sweaty work out. The less product you use, the less your hair needs.

Wall0ps Tue 03-Oct-17 17:50:00

Me too. Once a week keeps it healthy and shiny.

IrritatedUser1960 Tue 03-Oct-17 17:51:11

i wash my hair once a week and never blow dry, it's fine.

DailyMailReadersAreThick Tue 03-Oct-17 17:51:14

There was a thread about this recently, and most women don't wash their hair every day. It's damaging to do it every day.

IveGotBillsTheyreMultiplying Tue 03-Oct-17 17:54:06

I wash my hair when I've been running or exercising or else the sweat makes my head itch. I run/exercise about 3-4 week so that's how often I wash my hair.

MrsEricBana Tue 03-Oct-17 17:54:23

I do mine every 3 days BUT I think that's too much on the dryness front so may reduce. In your case probably just the act of rinsing, rubbing in the conditioner etc gave it a lovely mild cleanse. Good idea!

Talith Tue 03-Oct-17 17:55:17

No more than three times a week for me. Even if packed with meeting people and having to look neat. It's fine for two days on one wash and after being bleached for years (now hacked and reverting to brown) I need to let it have a rest from chemicals. I might twist the fringe and kirby grip to one side if it's not bouncy but generally it looks fine. Having it no longer than shoulder length is more forgiving in general.

JennyOnAPlate Tue 03-Oct-17 17:55:43

I haven’t used shampoo in about two years (curly girl method) but I only wash mine twice a week.

formerbabe Tue 03-Oct-17 17:58:06

I wash my hair twice a week. It's thick and takes ages. It doesn't get greasy. I'm always amazed so many people wash their hair everyday... what a faff!

Heratnumber7 Tue 03-Oct-17 18:09:57

Also a “once a week girl”. And not gross.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Tue 03-Oct-17 18:15:11

I'm really jealous of those who only need to wash their hair once or twice a week. My hair is so greasy I have to wash it every day. Have tried going longer a few times but it's just awful! Good luck to you.

CakesRUs Tue 03-Oct-17 18:33:48

The more you wash it, the more it needs it. My hair gets greasy every day, it drives me nuts to have to wash it daily as it's not short.

danslenoir Tue 03-Oct-17 19:03:36

Once a week here too! As recommended by my hairdresser.

scrivette Tue 03-Oct-17 19:39:23

Once a week here too.

Bubblysqueak Tue 03-Oct-17 19:42:43

Stupid question alert! If you only wash your hair once or twice a week, what do you so with it the rest of the time you shower?
Do you get it wet but not wash it or do you wear a shower cap?

julf Tue 03-Oct-17 20:15:44

Twice a week here, usually.

Bubbly - on non-wash days I tie it up so it doesn't get wet.

Bobbiepin Tue 03-Oct-17 20:17:26

@bubbly I angle the shower so my hair doesn't get wet and I tie it up. Most of the time I'll take it down as soon as I'm dry but towards the end of the week I tend to get bored of my hair and live in a ponytail.

Bubblysqueak Tue 03-Oct-17 21:24:38

Just wondering as I have short hair that is fine and gets greasy really quickly so I wash it every day. I've been thinking about having a try at every other day but couldn't work out if I need to keep it dry or not.

monkeysox Tue 03-Oct-17 21:29:30

Do you use dry shampoo in between?
I know someone who does twice a week and you can smell "head" shock

DeadGood Tue 03-Oct-17 21:29:39

I genuinely don't understand how people find the time to wash and dry their hair every day.

SusanTheGentle Tue 03-Oct-17 21:32:59

Ooh no, wash it how it works for you. A conditioner wash will still get smells and grease out, just in a different way.

No one regime suits all hair types - mine would be disgusting if I didn't wash it a lot (I've tried no poo, doesn't work on my hair) but someone with very curly hair would have a dry mess if they tried what I do.

formerbabe Tue 03-Oct-17 21:33:10

I genuinely don't understand how people find the time to wash and dry their hair every day

Me too! Hate hair wash days, takes a good hour out of my evening.

Ttbb Tue 03-Oct-17 21:35:39

Don't wash it any more than you need to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now