Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up of the s**t sleeves fashion trend

(126 Posts)
Gavisconbreath Tue 03-Oct-17 15:44:18

Desperate to find some decent work tops, but the only options seem to be either ballon sleeves, or sleeves with tons of pointless lace and frills attached. I'm the sort of person who dresses more for comfort and likes to sling a cardi over the top if it get cold, which doesn't lend itself to bell sleeves particularly well. Plus who comes up with the patterns? All nauseating florals that subtlety forgot. I'm also quite short with short arms, so I look bloody ridiculous. Some people seem to carry this look off, I am definitely not one of them.

Am I the only person who wants this trend to eff off ASAP?

Are there any shops that have ignored this trend completely. I have been in the usual high street shops and can't find anything.

Hillarious Tue 03-Oct-17 15:56:03

Bit like the cold shoulder tops. Who came up with the bright idea of cutting holes in a warm woolly jumper!

StaySexyDontGetMurdered Tue 03-Oct-17 15:57:55

I thought it was just me! I'm really struggling to find any normal sleeved jumpers this season.

Inthepast123 Tue 03-Oct-17 18:01:15

Yanbu. I dont want a cold shoulder! Thats why im buying an effing jumper!

The80sweregreat Tue 03-Oct-17 18:04:07

Agree, most clothes this season are awful.
Who designs these clothes?

yorkshapudding Tue 03-Oct-17 18:06:38

I don't mind florals (as long as the colours aren't too garish) but i'm definitely with you on the sleeve thing. Balloon sleeves, flared sleeves, batwing sleeves...what the fuck is it all about? confused

Butterymuffin Tue 03-Oct-17 18:07:09

Balloon sleeves and cold shoulders are all awful. Proper normal sleeves please! Also, some kind of sleeve. Sleeveless tops are no good through winter.

AuntieStella Tue 03-Oct-17 18:07:09

I dislike them.

And noticed, wandering through a department store, how they quite dominate the sale rails. Especially those in brighter colours.

Katescurios Tue 03-Oct-17 18:07:10

God yes and fucking ruffles. Dorothy Perkins has a perfectly lively maroon knitted midi dress with long sleeves, then they stuck sodding ruffles on the shoulders. Every other dress has fluted/ruffled/bell....sleeves. I really need new work dresses and need long sleeves to cover my fat arms without needing to wear a cardi and over heating.

SquirmOfEels Tue 03-Oct-17 18:09:13

"I thought it was just me! I'm really struggling to find any normal sleeved jumpers this season."

What sort do you want?

The High Street seems to be in a drive to self destruct by not having I. Stock things that actually sell. So try Uniqlo (I've just got a couple of lovely merino things) or Woolovers

SaucyJack Tue 03-Oct-17 18:09:59

I don't understand your problem. Personally, I love it when a draping polyester sleeve ignites itself on the gas hob when I'm stirring the dinner..

Adds a bit of excitement to an otherwise quiet evening.

MrsGotobed Tue 03-Oct-17 18:10:38

I really dislike those cold shoulder tops - I cannot see the point (despite having lovely shoulders grin)

I saw a woman the other day with a hideous bright orange dress that had these huge flouncy frills on the sleeves that made her look like she was wearing lampshades on her arms

Lunaballoon Tue 03-Oct-17 18:12:07

I couldn't agree more! Tried on a top in M&S, loved the colour and fabric but the sleeves, OMG, they were all nips and tucks and puffiness. I looked like a clown hmm

Tealdeal747 Tue 03-Oct-17 18:15:06

I just want a normal top!!!

Greenteandchives Tue 03-Oct-17 18:15:16

I'm with you all on this one. I hate any sort of frill or fancy shaping on sleeves. I like to be able to roll sleeves up or push them back if I get warm, or put a cardigan over the top if cold.
I would also never buy a cold shoulder top or cold knee jeans.

The80sweregreat Tue 03-Oct-17 18:19:51

Some of the frills and fancies on the sleeves ( or across the top) are very clown looking. the big bell type sleeves remind of something Poldark might wear.
Women buyers must have seen all these designs months and months ago, why did they not put a stop to it all? They dont do it to mens shirts and tops? I hate clothes shopping, all this has made it worse!

AlternativeTentacle Tue 03-Oct-17 18:22:40

Oh gosh yes, I am so glad I picked up three normal long t-shirts in GAP earlier in the summer, as you cannot find any proper clothes at the moment. It really is utterly fucking ridiculous.

SingaSong12 Tue 03-Oct-17 18:24:00

YADNBU. I don’t mind if some people want fashionably freezing shoulders, wide sleeves and ruffles in garish colours. But i want boring comfortable tops, I can’t find any plain stuff.

gunsandbanjos Tue 03-Oct-17 18:29:33

YADNBU, they're all bloody hideous and unflattering, it's like a competition between high street retailers who can make the worst one.

CakesRUs Tue 03-Oct-17 18:31:14

YANBU. I was thinking the same myself the other day.

Smartiepants79 Tue 03-Oct-17 18:33:27

Try buying the same damn thing for 7 year olds!! Balloon sleeves and ruffles on everything (l'm looking at you Next). And no my 7yr old doesn't need holes in her sleeves in the middle of winter either.

yorkshapudding Tue 03-Oct-17 18:34:52

While we're at it, "peplum" anything can fuck right off too.

Mollie85 Tue 03-Oct-17 18:36:55

Saucy - I was taking some tea when I read your message and although I didnt do a fake "spat all over the keyboard laughing so hard " some of Yorkshires finest did disappear up my nose.

I am now phnarring through my nose in a most unattractive way to get the tea out.

So thanks for that grin

Ps - cold shoulders/ arm slits / pompoms - I just want a normal jumper!!!

I saw a blazer the other day with arm slits. A blazer... confused

WeddingsAreStressful Tue 03-Oct-17 18:37:53

I think they look good on relatively tall slim women - adds a bit of volume to the outfit....but an average woman like me does not need extra volume (on my arms of all places!!)

Mollie85 Tue 03-Oct-17 18:38:08

Have dipped hem tops had their day too? As a person with a large arse I find anything designed to hide a large arse actually accentuates a large arse.... blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now