Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Your rescue animal story

(123 Posts)
splendidisolation Tue 03-Oct-17 07:04:11

I went to this rescue woman's house and was greeted by the most adorable little white kitten you could imagine: a beautiful face, tiny little pink paws, she came right up to me and began nuzzling me, purring like a motorbike, lolling around for a belly rub, she was enchanting.

But then I looked up and locked eyes with a shaggy tabby cat. In her eyes was a look I can only describe as total fear. I asked the woman about the tabby amd was told she'd been rescued off a derelict building site, she had jumped into the car of the woman who was feeding all these strays. I went to go and pet her, M, and she allowed herself to be petred but ran behind the washing machine, trembling. They knew she wasnt born wild, and they thought she had been badly hurt by men, because she was now very nervous around men particularly.

I told my boyfriend I had to make a choice: this heartbreaker white kitten or a tabby cat with MH problems. I just couldn't get her terrified look out of my head and I knew that I would have the patience to help her. I knew I would regret not giving her a home, whereas the white kne would be snapped up.

Now she plays with my boyfriend and even sleeps on him. She also has a "brother" now - but he's a whole different story.

Please share your rescue stories! Attached is a pic of the now healed M 😊

ghostyslovesheets Tue 03-Oct-17 07:17:13

that's not a white cat!

ghostyslovesheets Tue 03-Oct-17 07:17:39

although it is a very beautiful one

DeloresJaneUmbridge Tue 03-Oct-17 07:19:56

That's because the OP rescued the tabby cat and not the white kitten.

Good on you OP, so many people choose kittens.

I've had one rescue kitten and also an older rescue cat who was thin and half starved when I found her living as a stray in my garden. Previous tenants moved and just bloody left her behind. She was so neglected but four years on is the most gorgeous lapcat.

pinkcandy84 Tue 03-Oct-17 07:20:29

Oh, that's brought tears to my eyes! What a beautiful (and very lucky) puss! ♥ ♥

I've trapped and tamed quite a few semi-wild and feral cats who have (after time and patience) become much-loved pets. I adopted my latest little rescue from a 'mad cat lady' (like myself grin ), who had rescued him and his siblings from under a house where they had been dumped. He was a very timid little thing and when I went to view him, we were tipping up her furniture to get him out so I could catch a glimpse of him because he kept scampering around the room to hide away. It was quite a circus! grin It was love at first sight though and now he's my sweet, precious, little darling.

ghostyslovesheets Tue 03-Oct-17 07:22:25

early morning - sorry

I've always had rescue cats - many abandoned kittens (left in boxes, dumped on door steps etc)

I have 4 at the moment - all beautiful

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 03-Oct-17 07:24:59

We have a beautiful black rescue cat who recently came to us. He is lovely, but insanely territorial. He has dispatched one of our other cats and the remaining one hisses "FUCK OFF" every time she sees him. We don't really know what to do sad

pinkcandy84 Tue 03-Oct-17 07:27:42

Obligatory pic grin

splendidisolation Tue 03-Oct-17 07:31:02

@pinkcandy84

I was just about to demand a pic!!!

pinkcandy84 Tue 03-Oct-17 07:31:03

Time Contessa perhaps? I've usually found things settle down with time. Sorry, maybe not helpful.

pinkcandy84 Tue 03-Oct-17 07:31:46

splendidisolation grin

splendidisolation Tue 03-Oct-17 07:32:08

Oh my god...he's gorgeous! I have a weakness for black cats (M's brother is black) but black AND long-haired??? /dies of love

pinkcandy84 Tue 03-Oct-17 07:33:56

Nobody actually believes we've got this cat because he does a rapid vanishing act as soon as anyone appears! Shame because I want to show off my little darling! He's sweet and smoochy with me though - when he's in the mood of course.

splendidisolation Tue 03-Oct-17 07:34:00

Contessa - how long has it been? Has he been snipped? I would try the introduction process all over again: separate rooms/scent towels/Feliway or whatever it's called

pinkcandy84 Tue 03-Oct-17 07:34:33

Thank you! I am a proud mummy!

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 03-Oct-17 07:34:40

Thanks pink, I do hope so.

Our black boy grin

ememem84 Tue 03-Oct-17 07:36:51

Similar story with my girl. Born in a house, kicked out at about 5 months (we think) lived feral in a park with her brothers and sisters. Had a litter of 6 kittens. She was trapped in June last year by cat rescue charity and still had all of her kittens with her - 3 sadly dead, 3 alive but have since died.

We went to look for a cat and saw a gorgeous black one, he was shiny, a show off and super friendly.

Our girl hissed at us and hid at the back of her cage. We made the same decision as you. Someone would snap up show off black cat, but we felt we had to give our girl a chance.

She spent her first 3 months or so with us hidden behind a chair only coming out for food. In January this year, she suprised us by coming into the living room hopping up on the couch and sitting in my lap. We found out two weeks later I was pregnant. I think she knew.

This is her now. Baby boy is now a week old and she’s wary of him but still comes close.

pinkcandy84 Tue 03-Oct-17 07:36:53

Beautiful! I love black cats!

splendidisolation Tue 03-Oct-17 07:40:49

@ememem84

Awww what a cute little soulful face she has. That almost made me well up. Mine also hid for the first week, bless her. Unlike her brother who was almost literally bouncing from wall to wall like a shooting star

catlover1987 Tue 03-Oct-17 07:42:32

I have a 5 year old rescue cat. When we went to the rescue centre, no one wanted her as she had been shaved and looked terrible. She had been picked up as a stray kitten and had a bad bite wound which had then been infected with maggots. She really was a poor sole and could barely walk as the bite was on her hind leg and was affecting her mobility.

We took her home of course and it's not been easy. We've since found out she hates other cats to the point where she will scream and throw herself at the window if one even walks past the house. It has taken her a long time to gain our trust and she is definitely not a lap cat! But over the years she has become more affectionate, and she makes me laugh so much.

pinkcandy84 Tue 03-Oct-17 07:42:42

She's gorgeous ememem84 and she looks so sweet. What a sad story sad although a very happy ending for her. It's amazing what a bit of time and patience can achieve.

splendidisolation Tue 03-Oct-17 07:44:39

@catlover1987 Another beautiful long haired black one like @pinkcandy84

They look so punky I love em. This did make me laugh: "she will scream and throw herself at the window if one even walks past the house".

BubblesBubblesBubbles Tue 03-Oct-17 07:48:43

Me and my big dog 1 went out for a walk, just a quick blast as it was hot, big dog 1 went off - I called and called him he refused to come back. I ended up walking down to put him on his lead, big dog 1 had found a box of kittens (on the hottest day of the year) in a box, all were dead bar one, it was a small black baby boy kitten barely alive. So I picked him up and he came home with me. He still has bright blue eyes at 3.5 months old.

My other rescue fur baby - I had a phone call around 7pm from a charity asking me if I could do an urgent home from home adoption. Off I pottered to view this cat - and guess what that poor kitten was living in filth, no litter tray (just a small piece of carpet by the front door) no food, no water, she was trembling in the corner. House was disgusting. Anyway home came this one too. Will try and find a pic.

splendidisolation Tue 03-Oct-17 07:52:19

@BubblesBubblesBubbles bless your heart. What beautiful eyes! So heart wrenching to read about dead littermates 😣

Please do share a pic of the kitten you rescued from squalor. Some fucking people honestly

ememem84 Tue 03-Oct-17 07:52:53

@pinkcandy84 yep time patience love and my body weight in dreamies....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now