Talk

Advanced search

Ponytail

(218 Posts)
caffeineandcalpol Mon 02-Oct-17 21:14:48

So here it goes.
DD is 19 months old and attends a Montessori nursery. I wanted her to go here as I liked their teachings and I let as though the children could be themselves, free sprites that kind of thing.
DP picked her up with a tacky high pony tail in. Now, DD has the craziest hair around , it's wild , curly, had a life of its own, a bit like DD . It's just her. She will never ever let me put a slide in or do anything with it, complete little wild child.
I don't see why they tied it up?? It's not in her way, it's short and I feel as though she has been treated like a doll for the entertainment of the staff.AIBU if I complain?

caffeineandcalpol Mon 02-Oct-17 21:15:56

Bad spelling ! I'm in rant mode, apologies.
spirit* correction

perrypausal Mon 02-Oct-17 21:15:56

Yes. You are. You have little else to worry about obviously.

Wavingkitten Mon 02-Oct-17 21:16:06

Maybe they have head lice going round?

SuzukiLi Mon 02-Oct-17 21:16:42

Really hmm

Iwantaspangran Mon 02-Oct-17 21:16:49

Possible head lice going around the nursery at the minute?

Iwantaspangran Mon 02-Oct-17 21:17:07

X post kitten!

foursthescore Mon 02-Oct-17 21:17:14

Seriously? You are complaining because someone tied your daughter's hair up?

arethereanyleftatall Mon 02-Oct-17 21:17:34

Yabu.
This doesn't matter.

SnowiestMountain Mon 02-Oct-17 21:18:05

YABU. Maybe she was hot? Maybe it actually was getting in her way? Maybe somebody has head lice? Maybe she asked them to do it?

FittonTower Mon 02-Oct-17 21:18:15

When there is a case of nits at my daughter's nursery they always tied her hair up out of the way to try and stop her catching them. Maybe that's what happened? Or my son enjoys playing hairdressers at nursery and asks the teachers to give him a ponytail - they struggle, his hair is short, but he rocks a pretty hairslide.....
It's unlikely they did it for their own amusement I'd have thought.

Ecureuil Mon 02-Oct-17 21:18:17

Mine has wild curly hair and I’d be applauding them for managing to do something with her hair, not complaining.
Seriously, it doesn’t matter.

caffeineandcalpol Mon 02-Oct-17 21:18:42

Is it not odd?
It's not a priority ?
I think I'm more annoyed because I eel that she will have felt distressed whilst it was done

caffeineandcalpol Mon 02-Oct-17 21:19:14

Nits is a reasonable thought !

Kittykatmacbill Mon 02-Oct-17 21:19:14

My dd loved it when staff at her nursery tied hers back, in ways that she wouldn't let me do... I think you are over thinking!

MrsHandles Mon 02-Oct-17 21:19:20

As a teacher, I have my hair in a 'tacky high ponytail' everyday. Helps to keep the nits away you see. hmm

SoftSheen Mon 02-Oct-17 21:19:59

Yes YABU. They probably tied up her hair to prevent it getting too messy during a painting or cooking activity. Or maybe it was getting in her eyes, if she doesn't wear hair clips? But really, there are much more important things to worry about!

caffeineandcalpol Mon 02-Oct-17 21:20:13

She won't have asked as she can't talk etc, and has a development delay so can't walk off if wasn't happy etc

cheminotte Mon 02-Oct-17 21:21:13

Surely if it's long enough to go in a pony tail, it's long enough to get in her face?
Yabu, really not worth worrying about.

Elledouble Mon 02-Oct-17 21:21:28

Can one put a ponytail in the hair of a distressed toddler?! I think mine would thrash too much for that!

Maybe they were doing something messy and wanted to keep it out of the way?

nuttyknitter Mon 02-Oct-17 21:21:34

YANBU! I would have been annoyed too - it really isn't the job of a Nursery to tie up children's hair.

monkeywithacowface Mon 02-Oct-17 21:22:48

I suppose this might be a bit of a crazy suggestion but do you think you could you know just ask them why first before getting your knickers in a knot about it and complaining?

Dustbunny1900 Mon 02-Oct-17 21:22:58

I doubt they hog tied her while she shrieked just to put a pony-tail in. And a baby can't be tacky!
Just ask them

caffeineandcalpol Mon 02-Oct-17 21:23:13

It's tight curly hair, it's about 3 inch long when wet, an inch at the most when dry and curly

Muddlingalongalone Mon 02-Oct-17 21:23:18

Maybe she enjoyed it? Maybe she was doing it with dolls?
If she's as wild and free spirited as you suggest there's no way she'd sit long enough for the nursery staff either.
Dd2 is nearly 3 and will barely let me brush her hair in the morning and clip it up out of her face and will happily go to x's hair salon at nursery and comes out with all manner of ponytails, plaits and bunches.
Suggest you ask them tomorrow but on what you have written yabu and sound a bit snobby tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now