To not want to go on holiday to blackpool

(226 Posts)
opheliacat Mon 02-Oct-17 21:06:35

I think dh has lost his mind.

He reckons the dcs will love it?

SnowiestMountain Mon 02-Oct-17 21:06:55

YANBU

LongWavyHair Mon 02-Oct-17 21:08:07

Aw my dcs love it. We go to Haven there.
I'm with your dh smile

PandorasXbox Mon 02-Oct-17 21:09:33

Yanbu. It's utterly vile. When were you thinking? shock

tippz Mon 02-Oct-17 21:10:50

YANBU.

Blackpool is good for a day trip at the most.

And only in the week. It's full of stag and hen parties at the weekend. And it's noisy and awful. There are also people trying to scam you and rob you on the front (by the beach.) Trying to sell you a 'magic stone' for a tenner! And they get aggressive if you refuse. Also, the shops are full of tat.

It's expensive too. You will need probably Ā£500 for the week for your family, if you wanna do things (like go to the pleasure beach, the tower, the waxworks, the sea life centre etc...) I would rather put that towards a long weekend abroad.

Just suggest you go for a day maybe?

FoxyRoxy Mon 02-Oct-17 21:11:03

Yanbu it is awful.

RaeCJ82 Mon 02-Oct-17 21:11:16

YA(most definitely)NBU! Yuck! My OH and I go once a year for the lights just for the sheer tackiness of it, but that's an evening, not a holiday!

tippz Mon 02-Oct-17 21:12:16

I think Blackpool was OK pre 21st century, and a good place to go on hols for a long weekend (or even a week,) but not now. It's gone badly downhill.

SweetChickadee Mon 02-Oct-17 21:13:06

LTB

no, seriously...

DaisysStew Mon 02-Oct-17 21:14:10

Aww, it's not the best but the kids will love it. How far away do you live - could you just go for a day trip?

Crescend0 Mon 02-Oct-17 21:14:34

My god don't go there

RJnomore1 Mon 02-Oct-17 21:14:40

The pleasure beach is ok if your kidslike that sort of thing because you have to pay even to spectate now. The rest is best avoided.

We went on the way back from Liverpool a few years ago. Stayed at a premier inn near the centre which was actually ok but we walked to the beach, looked round, walked back and drove to lytham st Anne's for the evening. Day at pleasure beach next day then drive straight home.

A week there would be unbearable.

tippz Mon 02-Oct-17 21:15:30

I wouldn't say 'no no no...!'. As a day trip (and a look at the lights) is fine, but a week's holiday? Hell no.

AtSea1979 Mon 02-Oct-17 21:15:37

Depends where you are coming from and how long you are staying. The kids will love it. There's illuminations, sandcastle, the tower.

Redglitter Mon 02-Oct-17 21:16:04

St Annes is lovely
We used to stay there rather than Blackpool and visit Blackpool for the Pleasure Beach/Illuminations etc

jaseyraex Mon 02-Oct-17 21:17:30

If you're not going from far then I think a day trip is better or an over night stay, but not a holiday. I used to love it when I was a kid but it has gone completely downhill.

JoyceDivision Mon 02-Oct-17 21:17:52

Dear Lord, no.

Last year we took dcs for the day, stayed in the pleasure beach for rides, walked to car.. and went. It looks so grotty and miserable, ended up driving past the tower, getting lost on back streets and stopping at a subway which had something that freaked me out, something about CCTV, bollards and stuff.

Dh lived there with relatives when working that side on Manchester and he hated it.

opheliacat Mon 02-Oct-17 21:18:27

He wants a long weekend in a couple of weeks shock

NightmareMonkey Mon 02-Oct-17 21:18:26

Holiday?!šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ It's a dump! Going there is a punishment, have you been bad to your dh this year?šŸ˜‚

ScarlettDarling Mon 02-Oct-17 21:18:43

We did an overnighter there. Stayed at the Hilton which had a decent pool which the dc enjoyed. We went to the circus which was fun, Madame Tussaud's and did the illuminations when it got dark. Then home!

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 02-Oct-17 21:19:30

We went for 3 days. The kids did love it. You have to be in a certain mindset and not care that all they will eat for 3 days is burgers, chips and candyfloss. They loved the Pleasure Beach and we went up the tower and Blackpool Zoo was good. We just made sure we were back in the hotel by about 8 to get away from the hen/stag parties and booked a hotel that didn't accept parties.

splendidisolation Mon 02-Oct-17 21:19:51

Eww.

wifeyhun Mon 02-Oct-17 21:20:07

It's ok for a day and a night, we quite enjoy it. But not for a holiday no.

Especially not on a fri/sat either.

DancesWithOtters Mon 02-Oct-17 21:20:16

Why?! Has he not been there before?

Nope. I'd sooner divorce him.

x2boys Mon 02-Oct-17 21:21:47

No you cant have a holiday there one or two days is fine but a holiday no way i live an hour or so away its fine for an afternoon but a whole week.no way

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now