Advanced search

To wonder what to say to the doctor? (Sensitive)

(135 Posts)
Worriedobsessive Sun 01-Oct-17 11:01:45


I am NEVER unwell. I'm 45, regular cycle, and last two weeks I'm out of breath a lot, absolutely knackered and taking naps every day, and v bloated lower abdomen. I'm wearing normally I think, but always feel so bloated. I've got indigestion if I eat too fast (again never a problem previously) and I've got constant lower back ache. And one elbow hurts too!

I'm not celiac, not anaemic, not b12 deficient (had recent blooods for something else) but something feels different.

If I see the doc they're likely to say "hormones, go away" aren't they?

Worriedobsessive Sun 01-Oct-17 11:02:29

Pressed too soon!

I'm worried. I'm not a health worrier but this has me googling all sorts of things.

TurnipCake Sun 01-Oct-17 11:03:07

No, the bloating needs to be looked into. They will take you seriously flowers

PositiveAttitude Sun 01-Oct-17 11:07:16

Go and tell him /her what you have said here, they will take it seriously.

A few years ago I felt "not right" but felt I couldn't go and just say that to the Dr and I had far less specific "Not right-ness" than you have. 8 months later I found I had a tumour in my neck and I realised that was the reason for it all. I am not saying you will have something terrible, but it needs to be checked out. If I ever felt the same again I would listen to my body and get myself checked out sooner.

stuckinthehouse Sun 01-Oct-17 11:08:38

You're not pregnant are you?

Mollie85 Sun 01-Oct-17 11:08:55

There's no chance you might be pregnant? smile
Although how that explains the elbow away I don't know...

Worriedobsessive Sun 01-Oct-17 11:12:15

Defo defo defo not pregnant.

Worriedobsessive Sun 01-Oct-17 11:13:19

Thank you turnipcake x

Positiveattitude did you have some blood markers or something? How did they find it? Glad you're well now!

LeonoraFlorence Sun 01-Oct-17 11:16:06

Definitely get checked OP. If they say 'hormones' then so be it.

Worriedobsessive Sun 01-Oct-17 11:19:29

Those saying get it checked, what might it be?

Cornettoninja Sun 01-Oct-17 11:19:34

I think I might be a bit like you and far to quick to accept a doctor telling me 'meh' when really things need to be looked at a bit deeper. I think there's a bit of a game now where if you don't present a couple of times to the GP with the same issue they like to weed out what is and isn't an actual ongoing problem. Bit of a dangerous for the less assertive/conscious of been labelled a resources drain...

Anyway, you need to do what I should do - go back and ask to be referred to a specialist to investigate further as these symptoms are concerning you and affecting your day to day life.

At a laymans guess I would think you need to see either a gastroenterologist or gynaecologist to rule out some stuff. Either one may suggest the other if they don't identify anything and recommend it to your GP.

Worriedobsessive Sun 01-Oct-17 11:24:42

Yikes, going back a few times with the same thing is my worst nightmare! Because how do you know you're being fobbed off?

Cornettoninja Sun 01-Oct-17 11:25:27

Those saying get it checked, what might it be?

Well according to google probably one of a million disorders! Which is why you need to talk to someone whose going to narrow things down a lot. Personally I would be asking to see a gastroenterologist given the symptoms abdominally and of if indigestion because they'll be thinking about the whole digestive tract whilst ruling out anything around it that needed another specialists input such as lungs or uterus.

Take comfort that your GP isn't particularly alarmed, they don't tend to mess about with 'red flag' symptoms but that doesn't mean there's nothing wrong and you couldn't be sorted out.

Cornettoninja Sun 01-Oct-17 11:26:49

No don't go a few times smile I meant that's when they're more likely to initiate stepping up the investigations but there's nothing stopping you asking directly for what you think you need.

Pythonesque Sun 01-Oct-17 11:31:47

Agree with others that you should expect to be taken seriously if you describe exactly what you've posted here. I'd expect your GP to examine you fairly carefully and either plan tests or urgent referral or some combination of those. They might find some clues quickly or they might need to do some "broad brush" checks, depending on details.

Hope you get seen soon and that something can be done to make you feel better.

TheSparrowhawk Sun 01-Oct-17 11:34:42

Could be something ovarian. That can cause the bloating, back pain,indigestion and even affect the nerves in your arm (though the result is usually shoulder pain). Mention all symptoms and emphasise that you're not a worrier by this has really bothered you. Most good GPs will respond to that.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 01-Oct-17 11:41:49

Make sure you make yourself heard OP, the Doctor should arrange for bloods to be taken. Take a urine sample with you, save doing it whilst you are there. Try not to worry, and be sure to get an appointment.

Whinesalot Sun 01-Oct-17 11:45:19

it would be a pretty poor doctor who dismisses such a sudden change.

IvorHughJarrs Sun 01-Oct-17 11:47:13

I think this is too soon to be suggesting you'll have to go back and worrying about that

Make a list of all your symptoms and tell the GP. Hopefully they will respond with tests or something and, if not, they should explain clearly why (e.g. my GP told me recently, take this medication for a month to see if it might be xxx, if not better come back as an urgent appointment and I will refer you on the 2 week wait system)

wineandworkout Sun 01-Oct-17 11:49:25

I am not medically qualified and this is worst case scenario but you could say to the doc that you're worried about ovarian cancer

Don't get fobbed off! That has happened to me a few times. Worst was when 2 different GPs told me that a weird mole was fine and it turned out to be a melanoma. They may have been to med school, but you know your own body and health better.

jollygoose Sun 01-Oct-17 11:55:38

Tell the doctor your intuition is telling you something is wrong and you would like to be referred to a specialist if he then prevaricates he could be in trouble if he doesn't investigate and there is something wrong.

Kittychatcat Sun 01-Oct-17 12:08:14

Has the doctor checked your thyroid hormones and antibodies?

ememem84 Sun 01-Oct-17 12:19:42

I read your post op and immediately thought pregnant. That's how I felt before I found out. But then noticed the elbow thing. And the fact that you've said absolutely no way pregnant.

Absolutely go get checked out. take a list of symptoms. Don't let them fob you off.

Peachyking000 Sun 01-Oct-17 12:26:09

Write a list of your symptoms in case you forget to mention anything. And mention specifically the conditions that you are concerned about. Your GP will be unlikely to get be you a diagnosis immediately, but it would be good practice to arrange some investigations then have a follow up appointment.

Bloodybridget Sun 01-Oct-17 12:30:32

When I had some of those symptoms (and was wondering if it could be ovarian cancer) my GP referred me for an ultrasound immediately. I'm sure your GP would too. I was fine btw, hope you are too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: