Talk

Advanced search

To hate these current home trends...

(653 Posts)
verynaiceham Sun 01-Oct-17 08:57:55

Crushed velvet sofas/beds/curtains.

Also wooden letters in the kitchen/bathroom that's say 'Cook'/'Bath' etc telling you what each room is for.

While I'm at it- wall 'art' (stickers) with cheesy phrases.

amousehaseatenmypaddlingpool Sun 01-Oct-17 09:39:14

Ha. DH won't have any of this stuff and tbh I usually spend the money on clothes instead.

Recently stated in an Airbnb that was COVERED in bunting, throws, scatter cushions, wooden words, cutesy pottery on every surface, the whole nine yards. It was open plan.

Bloody pain in the arse, nowhere to put anything, couldn't find the actual sofa, whole place smelt of dinner the whole time.

So so happy to go back to my sparse (apart from the toy mountains) cottage with separate rooms for everything. My hankering for hygge is dead in the water grin

Trills Sun 01-Oct-17 09:39:46

People have been saying "metro tiles are going to date" on MN since at least 2008. And yet people are still putting them up. I still think they look nice.

BitOutOfPractice Sun 01-Oct-17 09:39:57

In my bedroom I have a rather lovely hand painted sign that spells out “laugh” but I often wonder if it puts my boyfriend off his (ahem) stride so to speak. Perhaps I should move it.

amousehaseatenmypaddlingpool Sun 01-Oct-17 09:41:08

Metro tiles = classic.

They haven't dated in the Tube either grin

Sayyouwill Sun 01-Oct-17 09:41:26

Ladders that are shelves in random places.
I hate that.

winobaglady Sun 01-Oct-17 09:42:31

I am currently actively looking for some crushed velvet. I run a craft stall and need a nice, luxurious, piece of velvet in a deep colour (green would be great) roughly 10' x 5' for my table top.
Can I find any? Nope. Now I know why, someone's used it all for a sofa with matching headboard.

ShotsFired Sun 01-Oct-17 09:42:53

Broken CD/mirror film effect - usually on fireplaces or drawers.

Looks like a visual representation of a migraine.

DollyPartonsBeard Sun 01-Oct-17 09:44:43

Bossy verb wall art is bizarre: EAT LOVE RELAX etc.

Also terrible rustic doohdahs made (badly) from bits of fake driftwood.

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sun 01-Oct-17 09:45:31

What's grim about this velvet sofa.

And I've just noticed the leather chair next to it, which seem to be universally hated on MN. You've all got no class!grin

I bloody love this room.

ShotsFired Sun 01-Oct-17 09:46:04

And the fashion for hard, cold edges everywhere in your home - the one place you should be able to relax and slob out. This is like a disco operating theatre (and I love a bit of glitter, but this...)

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sun 01-Oct-17 09:46:34

wino yes, it's all been used in that sofa! grin

MrsOverTheRoad Sun 01-Oct-17 09:46:50

Woods well NOTHING is wrong with THAT sofa grin it's a beautiful and classic piece of furniture.

Bit different to the ones linked to! AND the leather chair is NOTHING like the ones MN hates.

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sun 01-Oct-17 09:48:19

Well, posters need to be a bit more specific then Mrs. grin

PoppyPopcorn Sun 01-Oct-17 09:49:30

"disco operating theatre" sums the kitchen up perfectly in the house of someone I know! It's all white except for a black floor with sparkles in it and she has sparkly shite on the walls too.

it's the least welcoming look ever.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 01-Oct-17 09:51:54

Laughing at the Bossy Verb Wall Art

My friend has RELAX in big red letters in her hallway. I always feel a bit tense when I see it. grin

echt Sun 01-Oct-17 09:51:55

echt - so you'll know what I mean about the plantation shutters then?did you inherit any? Our house is white with dark blue trimmings, but the main colour I despise here is that tinned mushroom soup colour.. Campbell's griege.. dykwim?

Iborgia, I bought a house so back in time that most Aussies would have bulldozed it and started again. My house is as if the Aussie builder, who made it and lived here, had seen some Eichler houses and did it on the cheap, i.e. it's quite nice. Lots of wood, windows and light.

The plantation shutters abound in Au, though they might actually be useful what with the heat. Grey for interiors is catching on - fashions are slow to catch up - looks dated already.

Bornfreebutinbiscuits Sun 01-Oct-17 09:53:53

woods that sofa is surely a classic classy proper velvet sofa? Not hoppen football wife crushed grey?

I really really like greys, I would love to paint some of house with it but I'm not brave enough and I agree it's too cold. But looks so great with reds and other colours.

If we had bigger house where I could do one room in grey I would.

I dislike the wood floor, brown leathers sofa, close up canvas of child and picture hung too high. Along with the twigs in brown tall vase and signs.

However it's different in a home built up gradually, a few pieces here and there... Which has signs or twigs..
That's different. It's the whole sale current look of the moment I dislike

Pigofwar Sun 01-Oct-17 09:54:13

I’m not a fan of:

- faux leather dining chairs
- copper/ rose gold everything everywhere
- glass tables (the smears! Yuk.)

Bossy word art definitely isn’t on trend though. Maybe it was 20 years ago.

Agree with the poster who said metro tiles = classic. I had them 10 years ago and they are still super popular. They’re like the home version of uggs.

echt Sun 01-Oct-17 09:54:32

That is a fab sofa, If.

But it's not crushed velvet, so fails the shite test.

The books are wonderful.

<By that I mean my house looks like that> grin

Bornfreebutinbiscuits Sun 01-Oct-17 09:55:40

Interesting how many kitchens are making people think of hospitals. Mil had dated but warm shaker kitchen. All ripped out to be replaced with that clinical operating theatre look.

Bornfreebutinbiscuits Sun 01-Oct-17 09:57:18

I'm actually coveting A velvet green sofa and I love that rug in the picture. But how would one clean velvet sofa

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sun 01-Oct-17 10:00:51

The older I get, the less I give a shit about trends.

If I like it, it goes in my house. If I don't, it doesn't.

Some people my mother would describe my house as cluttered. I would say that everything is there for a reason.

notarehearsal Sun 01-Oct-17 10:03:19

I've had a gorgeous Habitat cerise pink velvet sofa for about eight years Bornfreebutinbiscuits I spot clean every now and again, hoover every week ( hairy dogs and messy kids) and have even washed the covers a couple of times. It looks good as new

mrsRosaPimento Sun 01-Oct-17 10:03:50

Metro tiles remind me of public toilets.
I love the velvet sofas though.

C8H10N4O2 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:05:39

Mil had dated but warm shaker kitchen. All ripped out to be replaced with that clinical operating theatre look

I have a dated but warm shaker kitchen which has needed replacing for the last couple of years. The only reason I haven't done it is dithering about what to do with it. I have partly been dithering between a new version of the shaker style or the shiny minimalist type. I like minimalist but the sad reality is I'm not a minimalist person in the kitchen :-)

In fact I need to redo several other rooms really and have also been thinking about some professional design help as I'm lacking in the time to spend on turning ideas into something coherent. I will have crushed velvet over my dead body though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: