Talk

Advanced search

To hate these current home trends...

(653 Posts)
verynaiceham Sun 01-Oct-17 08:57:55

Crushed velvet sofas/beds/curtains.

Also wooden letters in the kitchen/bathroom that's say 'Cook'/'Bath' etc telling you what each room is for.

While I'm at it- wall 'art' (stickers) with cheesy phrases.

LeonardoAcropolis Sun 01-Oct-17 09:28:51

I like my grey living room, so ner!

What I don't like are those huge wall stickers with a little saying or poem. I also don't like that pvc-composite mock wooden cladding that's appearing on the outside of houses. Each to their own though.

Twoleggeddog Sun 01-Oct-17 09:29:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

UnaPalomaBlanca Sun 01-Oct-17 09:29:44

Crushed velvet ughhh. And plants with variegated leaves. Both look diseased.

( tho I have the most beautiful sofa in midnight blue ( non crushed) velvet.)

NerrSnerr Sun 01-Oct-17 09:30:10

We don't have any of the above, that's because we buy what we want. If you don't like it don't buy it but plenty of people clearly do. I can't get worked up about what others have in their home.

verynaiceham Sun 01-Oct-17 09:30:24

@tippz I actually like the dress blush I've not noticed many people wearing velvet myself but I think I could go for this!

BikeRunSki Sun 01-Oct-17 09:30:39

Gravel driveways may well be due to the requirement to improve surface water drainage.

tippz Sun 01-Oct-17 09:31:10

@ihatethecold

These threads are always quite nasty.
Poking fun at other people’s choices.

There's always one. wink

People are only having a laff.

And anyone who buys a crushed velvet sofa deserves to have the shit ripped out them anyway,

verynaiceham Sun 01-Oct-17 09:31:30

@Silverthorn Another trend at the moment. I think the cast of TOWIE have a lot to do with it.

LoislovesStewie Sun 01-Oct-17 09:31:32

I don't like open plan ; I like proper rooms , with doors . My dining room; I can close the door and have some peace and quiet. I don't have to look at the mess in the kitchen because I can close the door to it. Same with the living room. I mean would we have open plan bedrooms and bathrooms? and I don't like those signs/wall art telling me to 'eat' or 'home' , I know where to eat and do it quite well. Clearly it is a matter of taste how you decorate your home but it's not for me. I rejected several houses when we were looking to move because they had an open plan ground floor. Isn't it very noisy? None of this meant bitchily by the way, I just know what I like!

tippz Sun 01-Oct-17 09:32:26

@verynaiceham

I actually like the dress blush I've not noticed many people wearing velvet myself but I think I could go for this!

LOL, shame on you! YABU! grin

You would probably look nice in it anyway. I would look like a fat, furry seal.

jimmypageisgod Sun 01-Oct-17 09:33:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Chocolatecake12 Sun 01-Oct-17 09:33:19

Trends change, I’ve just painted my kitchen grey and I love it! I had a bright yellow kitchen in the late 90’s as lime/yellow/orange was all the rage! I wouldn’t like that now!
The styles that are about now are not to everyone’s taste but surely that’s the choice we make? If you don’t like it don’t buy it! Don’t really see the point of slating it on a thread.

DinnaeKnowShitFromClay Sun 01-Oct-17 09:33:32

When I see film sets portraying the homes pre 1980 I crave for those simple set ups. Especially in working class homes but that says more about me than about modern shite home furnishings. grin

thegreylady Sun 01-Oct-17 09:34:08

I embody greyness from my hair to my cashmere bedsocks grin

Trills Sun 01-Oct-17 09:34:41

I do like open plan, but I don't have children.

If I had children I might want to be able to shut them/myself away.

SnooGliffer Sun 01-Oct-17 09:34:44

I was saving this for a 'Facebook Tat' thread but I'll put it here instead...

HopefullyAnonymous Sun 01-Oct-17 09:34:51

I hate velvet, can't stand the feel of it. It makes me feel uncomfortable, strange I know! I wouldn't be able to sit on a velvet sofa.

WidowWadman Sun 01-Oct-17 09:35:35

We've got golden letters spelling out. "poo & wee" in our downstairs toilet. I'm rather fond of them.

verynaiceham Sun 01-Oct-17 09:36:22

@SnooGliffer I don't even know what to say

Gingernaut Sun 01-Oct-17 09:36:36

Any mass-produced 'art' that came off a supermarket shelf is not art.

There's a Scandi themed 'thing' going on in Sainsbury's atm.

Wooden birds, marble polygons and cute little motto hangers.

"The adventure begins" printed over a picture of a path leading into a forest is my 'favourite'

Funnyface1 Sun 01-Oct-17 09:36:44

I agree that grey sometimes just doesn't work. The house I'm buying has a long hallway that goes through the middle of the house. It could be gorgeous (it will be) but it's current shade of grey makes it so depressing!

Tealdeal747 Sun 01-Oct-17 09:36:46

Metro tiles- they will date so quickly!

White bathroom suites.

'Shaker' kitchens.

JustTheWayYouAre Sun 01-Oct-17 09:36:50

@LolaTheDarkdestroyer I do have a bathe ornament in my bathroom, well your hardly likely to have one in the kitchen grin

I have grey sparkly walls AND a feature wall and I luffs them.

OvariesForgotHerPassword Sun 01-Oct-17 09:36:57

Crushed velvet is grim.

Melfish Sun 01-Oct-17 09:39:12

lborgia plantation shutters are everywhere where I live. They are really bright white and the ones I've seen make the rooms look cold. An Estate Agent told me when I was selling that they were a mark of lifestyle aspiration for buyers, along with a black Volvo/Audi on the driveway. Sadly I had to disappoint him on both counts!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »