Talk

Advanced search

To hate these current home trends...

(653 Posts)
verynaiceham Sun 01-Oct-17 08:57:55

Crushed velvet sofas/beds/curtains.

Also wooden letters in the kitchen/bathroom that's say 'Cook'/'Bath' etc telling you what each room is for.

While I'm at it- wall 'art' (stickers) with cheesy phrases.

amousehaseatenmypaddlingpool Sun 01-Oct-17 09:39:14

Ha. DH won't have any of this stuff and tbh I usually spend the money on clothes instead.

Recently stated in an Airbnb that was COVERED in bunting, throws, scatter cushions, wooden words, cutesy pottery on every surface, the whole nine yards. It was open plan.

Bloody pain in the arse, nowhere to put anything, couldn't find the actual sofa, whole place smelt of dinner the whole time.

So so happy to go back to my sparse (apart from the toy mountains) cottage with separate rooms for everything. My hankering for hygge is dead in the water grin

Trills Sun 01-Oct-17 09:39:46

People have been saying "metro tiles are going to date" on MN since at least 2008. And yet people are still putting them up. I still think they look nice.

BitOutOfPractice Sun 01-Oct-17 09:39:57

In my bedroom I have a rather lovely hand painted sign that spells out “laugh” but I often wonder if it puts my boyfriend off his (ahem) stride so to speak. Perhaps I should move it.

amousehaseatenmypaddlingpool Sun 01-Oct-17 09:41:08

Metro tiles = classic.

They haven't dated in the Tube either grin

Sayyouwill Sun 01-Oct-17 09:41:26

Ladders that are shelves in random places.
I hate that.

winobaglady Sun 01-Oct-17 09:42:31

I am currently actively looking for some crushed velvet. I run a craft stall and need a nice, luxurious, piece of velvet in a deep colour (green would be great) roughly 10' x 5' for my table top.
Can I find any? Nope. Now I know why, someone's used it all for a sofa with matching headboard.

ShotsFired Sun 01-Oct-17 09:42:53

Broken CD/mirror film effect - usually on fireplaces or drawers.

Looks like a visual representation of a migraine.

DollyPartonsBeard Sun 01-Oct-17 09:44:43

Bossy verb wall art is bizarre: EAT LOVE RELAX etc.

Also terrible rustic doohdahs made (badly) from bits of fake driftwood.

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sun 01-Oct-17 09:45:31

What's grim about this velvet sofa.

And I've just noticed the leather chair next to it, which seem to be universally hated on MN. You've all got no class!grin

I bloody love this room.

ShotsFired Sun 01-Oct-17 09:46:04

And the fashion for hard, cold edges everywhere in your home - the one place you should be able to relax and slob out. This is like a disco operating theatre (and I love a bit of glitter, but this...)

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sun 01-Oct-17 09:46:34

wino yes, it's all been used in that sofa! grin

MrsOverTheRoad Sun 01-Oct-17 09:46:50

Woods well NOTHING is wrong with THAT sofa grin it's a beautiful and classic piece of furniture.

Bit different to the ones linked to! AND the leather chair is NOTHING like the ones MN hates.

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Sun 01-Oct-17 09:48:19

Well, posters need to be a bit more specific then Mrs. grin

PoppyPopcorn Sun 01-Oct-17 09:49:30

"disco operating theatre" sums the kitchen up perfectly in the house of someone I know! It's all white except for a black floor with sparkles in it and she has sparkly shite on the walls too.

it's the least welcoming look ever.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 01-Oct-17 09:51:54

Laughing at the Bossy Verb Wall Art

My friend has RELAX in big red letters in her hallway. I always feel a bit tense when I see it. grin

echt Sun 01-Oct-17 09:51:55

echt - so you'll know what I mean about the plantation shutters then?did you inherit any? Our house is white with dark blue trimmings, but the main colour I despise here is that tinned mushroom soup colour.. Campbell's griege.. dykwim?

Iborgia, I bought a house so back in time that most Aussies would have bulldozed it and started again. My house is as if the Aussie builder, who made it and lived here, had seen some Eichler houses and did it on the cheap, i.e. it's quite nice. Lots of wood, windows and light.

The plantation shutters abound in Au, though they might actually be useful what with the heat. Grey for interiors is catching on - fashions are slow to catch up - looks dated already.

Bornfreebutinbiscuits Sun 01-Oct-17 09:53:53

woods that sofa is surely a classic classy proper velvet sofa? Not hoppen football wife crushed grey?

I really really like greys, I would love to paint some of house with it but I'm not brave enough and I agree it's too cold. But looks so great with reds and other colours.

If we had bigger house where I could do one room in grey I would.

I dislike the wood floor, brown leathers sofa, close up canvas of child and picture hung too high. Along with the twigs in brown tall vase and signs.

However it's different in a home built up gradually, a few pieces here and there... Which has signs or twigs..
That's different. It's the whole sale current look of the moment I dislike

Pigofwar Sun 01-Oct-17 09:54:13

I’m not a fan of:

- faux leather dining chairs
- copper/ rose gold everything everywhere
- glass tables (the smears! Yuk.)

Bossy word art definitely isn’t on trend though. Maybe it was 20 years ago.

Agree with the poster who said metro tiles = classic. I had them 10 years ago and they are still super popular. They’re like the home version of uggs.

echt Sun 01-Oct-17 09:54:32

That is a fab sofa, If.

But it's not crushed velvet, so fails the shite test.

The books are wonderful.

<By that I mean my house looks like that> grin

Bornfreebutinbiscuits Sun 01-Oct-17 09:55:40

Interesting how many kitchens are making people think of hospitals. Mil had dated but warm shaker kitchen. All ripped out to be replaced with that clinical operating theatre look.

Bornfreebutinbiscuits Sun 01-Oct-17 09:57:18

I'm actually coveting A velvet green sofa and I love that rug in the picture. But how would one clean velvet sofa

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sun 01-Oct-17 10:00:51

The older I get, the less I give a shit about trends.

If I like it, it goes in my house. If I don't, it doesn't.

Some people my mother would describe my house as cluttered. I would say that everything is there for a reason.

notarehearsal Sun 01-Oct-17 10:03:19

I've had a gorgeous Habitat cerise pink velvet sofa for about eight years Bornfreebutinbiscuits I spot clean every now and again, hoover every week ( hairy dogs and messy kids) and have even washed the covers a couple of times. It looks good as new

mrsRosaPimento Sun 01-Oct-17 10:03:50

Metro tiles remind me of public toilets.
I love the velvet sofas though.

C8H10N4O2 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:05:39

Mil had dated but warm shaker kitchen. All ripped out to be replaced with that clinical operating theatre look

I have a dated but warm shaker kitchen which has needed replacing for the last couple of years. The only reason I haven't done it is dithering about what to do with it. I have partly been dithering between a new version of the shaker style or the shiny minimalist type. I like minimalist but the sad reality is I'm not a minimalist person in the kitchen :-)

In fact I need to redo several other rooms really and have also been thinking about some professional design help as I'm lacking in the time to spend on turning ideas into something coherent. I will have crushed velvet over my dead body though.

TattyCat Sun 01-Oct-17 10:06:29

But how would one clean velvet sofa

With great difficulty, if it's 'proper' velvet. My parents had one and it was a dark olive green, absolutely stunning horse hair/feather sofa they bought in about 1972 for ££££. When I was about 14, they went out for the afternoon and I had spaghetti bolognese... and decided to eat it on the sofa, from a plate, not a bowl. The whole bloody plateful slid off onto the velvet....

I did my best, but just turned the cushion over and said nothing. Glad it was dark green grin

surferjet Sun 01-Oct-17 10:06:41

The older I get, the less I give a shit about trends
Me too. If I like it I buy it! - I'm not decorating my house to please visitors. & let's face it, you could go into literally anyone's house & think 'crikey that's awful' -
( proud owner of a beautiful twig heart )

lavenderbees Sun 01-Oct-17 10:07:00

Open plan - hate with a passion.
Too much grey or overstyled colour coordinated houses.
Vintage/ shabby chic

I am trying to decide whether my newly renovated dining should have a log burner but can't decide if that is a bit naff. Could any mumnetters help me out with whether it is a step too far. smile

RedBlackberries Sun 01-Oct-17 10:08:17

Not on board with the crushed velvet trend.

Love heart decorations of every kind though especially twiggy hearts blush

Candles and candle holders are my decoration of choice. Everywhere there's a space there's a candle!

Minimalist I'm not!

I'm on the fence with the word stuff. I do want some standing wooden blocks with our names or something on or maybe in candle form grin

HoneyBoo269 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:09:32

We've moved into a rented house that has those quotes on the walls everywhere, haven't got round to painting over them yet but looks like I need to get a hurry on after this thread 🙈 won't tell you the one it says in the bedroom, makes me cringe every time I read it ..

Brittbugs80 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:10:13

Metro tiles- they will date so quickly!

See, how quickly? We have them in our kitchen and they have been there since the house was refurbished 9 years ago and the kitchen doesn't look dated?

9 years is pretty good going so what's the time period where something becomes dated?

Elephant17 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:10:29

Haha! agree with most of these.

(Although there is such thing as warm grey, it's a yellow based grey- you can really see the difference if you look on a colour chart)

strawberrygate Sun 01-Oct-17 10:10:39

this is probably just me, but why do people feel they need to replace kitchens. If you chose a kitchen you like, surely you'd still like it 20 years down the line? Unless it's literally falling apart, why do people rip them out and put a different one in?

RosyPony Sun 01-Oct-17 10:10:53

My motto is that if you can buy it in Home Sense (TK Max home division) then it's tat that's not coming in my house! Naf-tastic!

FabulouslyGlamorousFerret Sun 01-Oct-17 10:11:33

Ha, I'm sat in my open plan lounge looking at my crushed velvet dining chairs - they're fucking ace 👍🏻

lborgia Sun 01-Oct-17 10:11:41

We are needing to move soon echt, but the problem is that all the kinds of houses I like have been bulledozed to make way for McMansions hmm.

woods, what you've got there is your gen-u-ine inherited family library type leather and velvet. Beautiful. The velvet is not crushed (and probably smells of Labrador), and the leather armchair has the smooth finish of at least 3 generations of generous bottoms in cord trousers grin.

I would love a room like that, but always realise that on our frequent 102/40 plus degree days here I'd stick to the armchair and rip off pieces of skin, and the velvet would feel like a mugging...

Shaker kitchens have been around for years, and as long as you keep them extremely simple, will stand the test of time (long after you've taken down the bossy verbs). She says.

Disco operating theatre is exactly the right description of my least favourite trend!

I've been rocking white, with Chinese blue/white ginger jars, and black and white photos on the walls for about 15 years...and this year found the front of a home mag with the exact same features. Time to change perhaps?!

ImissTerry Sun 01-Oct-17 10:12:16

If someone walked into my living room and said that it looked like something out of a magazine I would die. They don't and it doesn't smile smile smile

Someone further up the thread put up a picture of a broken glass/cd covered fireplace. Have you seen the staircases done this way? Cannot be safe as there must be little bits sticking up. These people must love to clean.

fourquenelles Sun 01-Oct-17 10:13:10

A big bonus of dog ownership is that furniture is chosen to be claw and fur proof as much as possible. Any velvet would be covered in hairs by midday of the day of purchase and/or ripped to shreds within weeks. Leather all the way for me. I do have a whole wall of metal advertising signs and plantation shutters though

Brittbugs80 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:13:12

We have a grey wall in the bedroom, it's a very soft grey. Has been this colour for 4 years not at all oppressive.

Not a fan of velvet furniture, mirror furniture or diamanté or inspirational quotes of any sort, particularly "dream believe achieve"

metalmum15 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:14:12

Lavender dh & I would love a log burner but sadly can't in our house. Go for it!

I hate crushed velvet, agree with pp who said it's like the early 90's fashion trend (I had a favourite purple crushed velvet skirt with lace trim! ) My bedroom is grey & white but it's the only room, I wouldn't have it everywhere. Also don't like wall murals or too many hangy things, I only have them on doors that don't get opened very often.

metalmum15 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:14:14

Lavender dh & I would love a log burner but sadly can't in our house. Go for it!

I hate crushed velvet, agree with pp who said it's like the early 90's fashion trend (I had a favourite purple crushed velvet skirt with lace trim! ) My bedroom is grey & white but it's the only room, I wouldn't have it everywhere. Also don't like wall murals or too many hangy things, I only have them on doors that don't get opened very often.

Narnia72 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:14:23

I've got a grey hall - love it! Much easier to hide the fingerprints... I also have a grey carpet (not in the hall though).

My SIL bought us a sign that reads "remember, as far as anyone knows we're a nice, normal family". I keep trying to break it

YY to ornaments anywhere, loathe them. We have enough crap and clutter in our house as it is.

My hairdresser has a black gloss kitchen - it looks very space age, but she has a toddler and I have no idea how she keeps it fingerprint free. She must polish her cupboard doors every day.

I had a BEEEYOUTIFUL crushed velvet dress when I was 18. I loved it, thought I looked supertrendy. I probably looked like a sofa...

BoysofMelody Sun 01-Oct-17 10:15:10

I hate those "cook", "eat", "bathe" whatever signs. I read them and think "no, I won't" (belligerent sod that I am), and get the urge to rearrange them and put "sleep" in the bathroom.

I think you're being harsh, they are actually both stylish and useful. Until we had these,I used to shite all over the kitchen work tops. Since we got the sign saying 'defecate' for the toilet, it is no longer a problem.

ChickenVindaloo2 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:15:13

That velvet stiletto chair is one of the worst things ive ever see. And ive been to crime scenes.

strawberrygate Sun 01-Oct-17 10:15:50

what's wrong with log burners? Ours is awesome come winter

Anniegetyourgun Sun 01-Oct-17 10:15:52

I like grey, and I like crushed velvet, though I don't think it's particularly practical for furniture. If it's trendy I neither know nor care. Little meaningful placards are, like the infamous flying ducks, a matter of personal preference which is not my preference, but I don't have a problem with it as such. Ditto, I suppose, twigs and pebbly shit - looks quite pleasant if properly displayed and regularly dusted although I couldn't be doing with it in my own place. Labelling your rooms though - how odd. I can't imagine anyone capable of reading the word "kitchen" would be unable to work out that the presence of a hob and absence of a bath might indicate they were in the, er, kitchen confused. And this room with the (grey crushed velvet) sofa, wide fireplace, 48" telly and no bed is quite likely to be a - oh, now I get it. You need the right label so no-one makes the class mistake of calling it the sitting room instead of the living room, or worse (or is it slightly less bad? I'm never quite sure) the lounge.

Laura2018 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:16:39

I really hate those tacky, cheesy professional family portrait photographs some people have in thier living rooms. Makes me want to vom 😂 I also hate those 'live, laugh, love' signs and crappy ikea 'art'.

Elephant17 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:16:54

And equally, I too buy whatever I like whether it's 'on trend' or an old, past-it trend.

Also, I think many of the things listed aren't exactly trends, they're just things you/we don't like!

I mean, a poster mentioned candles and candleholders etc... I love them, but they're nothing new! My mum used to have them as a teen and still has them in her living room.

QueenJane Sun 01-Oct-17 10:18:17

I think you really can tell a lot about a person by their choice of decor...

I hate:

Black leather couches
Feature walls
Wallpaper with large bright coloured flowers, usually on a feature wall
Sparkly anything
Twee shite

TinklyLittleLaugh Sun 01-Oct-17 10:18:31

Grey is quite emperors new clothes I think; it doesn't actually look very nice but it was fashionable a few years ago so now everyone is on it. Black is even worse. And the trend to accent with lurid mustards or limes or yellows. And just loads of graphic art everywhere, layered up on picture ledges and on the floor, propped up against the wall. And piles of kitchy retro junk typewriter, sewing machines and old cameras.

Another horrid, more high street trend, is Shiny: super sleek kitchens, mirrored furniture, shiny white tiled floors.

I like a house to have warmth and texture and colour and to be authentic, rather than fashionable.

Lucisky Sun 01-Oct-17 10:18:53

All the stories of grey rooms reminds me of the time, on a well known online interiors site, a woman was asking for advice. She had decorated and furnished her house, but wanted ideas for finishing touches. Photos were included. The first few comments were along the lines of "Can you give us colour photos? Doesn't work in black and white." Er no, the photos WERE in colour. Everything was in grey, black and white in the house, and it was strangely and weirdly totally monochrome. Taking an idea too far I think.

echt Sun 01-Oct-17 10:19:14

We are needing to move soon echt, but the problem is that all the kinds of houses I like have been bulledozed to make way for McMansions

Are you in Australia, Iborgia? If so, I feel your pain, though as a spectator of the demolition of perfectly adaptable homes. As well as the more reprehensible destruction of native habitat to accommodate houses that look like low-security Swedish prisons.

lavenderbees Sun 01-Oct-17 10:20:36

I have started a bit of a revolution in my house and am painting ever room white.

PolkadottyRose Sun 01-Oct-17 10:21:26

I don't personally like the glitter, velvet, grey etc..but each to their own, we are all still valuable human beings! Very few people like my polka dotty, flowery Kidstonesque world..so..It's all in the eye of the beholder. I've got to stick up for metro tiles though...They will never date! Totally timeless and classic. Wish I had some!

EmmaJR1 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:21:54

I have a sign on my bathroom door that says "poo room" - I think it's hilarious! 😝

BoysofMelody Sun 01-Oct-17 10:22:18

I really hate those tacky, cheesy professional family portrait photographs some people have in thier living rooms

Yes, always with shoes off for some reason. Venture have a lot to answer for. For all their many faults and failings my parents didn't force a family photograph on us.

MiaowTheCat Sun 01-Oct-17 10:24:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mummyoflittledragon Sun 01-Oct-17 10:25:54

The grey square of sofas (posted by InspMorse at 9.14) looks like something, which could have been useful for the playboy bunny house.

SundayNightLights Sun 01-Oct-17 10:26:49

I must admit I love grey, silver, glittery, crushed velvet. I know they are tacky and yet I still like them. Luckily I'm poor so can't afford to do my house up like that!

Mummyoflittledragon Sun 01-Oct-17 10:27:14

lavenderbees

My house has been white for the past 6 years. Am I ahead of the trend? I thought grey was the new white.

barefootinkitchen Sun 01-Oct-17 10:27:54

I think the velvet couches I keep seeing on Instagram lately are gorgeous. Some posted up thread aren't the best examples but some are just gorgeous. Not right for my place but I do like them. What's not to love ?

echt Sun 01-Oct-17 10:28:48

Basically this thread hates every mode of interior decoration known to man (apart from the uber expensive ones)

No, it doesn't. The thread doesn't propose better alternatives, just dislike of certain current trends.

ginghamstarfish Sun 01-Oct-17 10:30:55

Agree with being mystified by sudden love for crushed velvet and twee signs etc, but what I always wonder - those who must have the latest 'trend' in home decor, such as everything stags/owls/pineapples/cactus or whatever, do they just chuck out each lot as a new lot comes along? Must cost a fortune!

echt Sun 01-Oct-17 10:31:13

barefoot. Another lovely velvet sofa, but all the more for the setting, i.e. the artwork. The sofa doesn't t do it on its own.

Zaphodsotherhead Sun 01-Oct-17 10:32:02

Velvet... really? Does nobody have dogs or cats?

My lot's fur is practically Velcro'd on to all surfaces, if I had a velvet sofa I wouldn't be able to find it under all the fur. It would be like sitting on another dog.

EggysMom Sun 01-Oct-17 10:33:30

I don't mind grey carpet. I find grey walls cold. I find grey "fake brick effect" wallpaper hideous grin

The other trend I've seen is a feature wall painted with random different colour triangles, created by using and then removing tape. It looks like something Changing Rooms would have done thirty years ago.

MrsPicklesonSmythe Sun 01-Oct-17 10:37:02

LED lights and little tread mats on stairs instead of carpet, broken glass/cd mosaic anything, glitter, wooden panel style wallpaper, matching everything and grey, all make me sad.

Mustang27 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:37:52

@barefootinkitchen the green one is a wee bit office/waiting room but the rust orange one I love.

ifcatscouldtalk Sun 01-Oct-17 10:38:10

I have a hanging hearts wallgrin.
It's just different taste. I never got the grey trend, but then someone I know decorated with grey and a pale blue and I have to say, although it wouldn't have been my choice it looked lovely.

Sweetheart1313 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:42:49

Taking your carpet off the stairs, then decorating with naff words/phrases. Poor neighbours!

AccidentalyRunToWindsor Sun 01-Oct-17 10:42:58

There's a Facebook group called 'DIY on a budget - official' I may have joined just for the hilarity.

Everyone paints their house grey, with crushed velvet everywhere. Or they smash up mirrors and stick them on the stair risers. Or they cover the kitchen in fablon. Glitter walls feature quite heavily as well.

Don't get me started on 'in this house, we do Disney' 🤢🤢🤢

Therealslimshady1 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:45:26

I have been told off by two of my stylish friends for painting my kitchen yellow. It is a country kitchen, units are at least 20 years old, and the yellow looks nice IMO. Especially on cold grey days. It is cosy and warm (ancient aga as well), which I like. But yes, it won't feature in magazines or Pinterest! It is defiantly uncool.

My friends said yellow is very 90s. Their kitchen diners are shades of grey.They say the Aga is dated. They ripped theirs out.

I am a kitchen rebel wink

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:45:26

I have metro tiles in the outhouse, they've been there since about 1880. I also have an inglenook in which I burn logs, it's a couple of centuries old ( outhouse is a newer additional, where someone got all trendy and added a toilet I think)!
Is it all a bit dated and due for a restyle?

Callamia Sun 01-Oct-17 10:46:50

I've just spent months painting over all the grey in this house. It's so dull, and such a light suck. I'm so much happier that light now reflects instead of being dragged into dingy corners.

Aside from that, my main style is mess... so perhaps I shouldn't judge wink

lborgia Sun 01-Oct-17 10:47:05

Yes, I am echt! These are the most common kind of new build around here ..in fact I've yet to see a new build I like.

I find it pretty distressing ghastly would'nt be too strong

ScissorBow Sun 01-Oct-17 10:48:16

I've got 3 crushed velvet magenta cushions on an otherwise anonymous brown sofa, with a range of other non matching but inoffensive cushions. Any more crushed velvet than that and it's hideous. Incidentally my mum made them about 7 years ago for me as I was having trouble finding ones in the shops. Clearly I was 7 years ahead of the trend 😂

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 01-Oct-17 10:48:27

Oh dear Sweetheart a cringe with every step. That's so twee it hurts. Even the toy on the window sill is laughing at those absurd stairs.

Therealslimshady1 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:48:28

I would love an oversized burnt orange velvet sofa....not crushed velvet, real velvet....sigh

Pithivier Sun 01-Oct-17 10:48:46

Big family photos, posed and photoshopped. Everyone in white pretending it so natural, even though it took a 3 hour shoot in a studio.

ladyvimes Sun 01-Oct-17 10:49:28

What is considered ‘classy’ then?

My friend has a cottage type house decorated beautifully, very unique and shabby-chic esq (in the truest sense) but all I can think every time I visit is how long it must take to dust everything!

I like grey!

alltouchedout Sun 01-Oct-17 10:50:10

Better crushed velvet than leather (or pleather).
We just painted our living room very pale grey. It's lovely.

Pithivier Sun 01-Oct-17 10:50:40

Oh and so many cushions on the sofa that you cannot sit down. People who 'dress' their bed. Silk flowers made to look like they are dying. Op you have opened the inner hariden in me.

metalmum15 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:53:56

Don't like those studio portraits either, much prefer natural photos that bring back memories of a certain time, holiday etc. Only official photos I have up are dc school ones. Also don't do wallpaper, I think it just dates too quickly, my walls are all beige with white paintwork, maybe dull and boring to some but nice and bright and airy to me!

metalmum15 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:53:58

Don't like those studio portraits either, much prefer natural photos that bring back memories of a certain time, holiday etc. Only official photos I have up are dc school ones. Also don't do wallpaper, I think it just dates too quickly, my walls are all beige with white paintwork, maybe dull and boring to some but nice and bright and airy to me!

MeriReu Sun 01-Oct-17 10:54:59

Haven't read the full thread (on page 5 😁)

I've sold my silver crushed velvet sofas as they're just not comfy at all & soooo not toddler friendly!

Must admit I own a few of those velvet dresses as they're really flattering, and I love grey walls (my 3yo's bedroom is cobalt blue and grey)
Love feature walls and glitter tiles haha.

I do like the 'cold' look though I feel like it looks cleaner cut to me!

caoraich Sun 01-Oct-17 10:56:44

Oh yes. The grey. Everywhere

Also "rose gold" accessories. I'm looking at you, Oliver Bonas...

I do like metro tiles though!

metalmum15 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:57:13

Oh god yes, too many cushions on beds and sofas. Far too much hassle taking them all off every time you want to go to bed!

metalmum15 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:57:16

Oh god yes, too many cushions on beds and sofas. Far too much hassle taking them all off every time you want to go to bed!

drinkswineoutofamug Sun 01-Oct-17 10:57:49

My living room hasn't been decorated since the early naughties so very dated. Even got a boarder round the ceiling 🙈
Just done the kitchen which is my pride and joy, dinning room, regrouped loo, and done both the kids rooms .
I want to decorate the living room but I too don't like the current trends and I'm completely stuck

ScissorBow Sun 01-Oct-17 10:58:32

Grey carpet screams 'Homes under the Hammer' done up for rental

Elephant's breath is apparently soooo in. hmm

OhSoggyBiscuit Sun 01-Oct-17 10:59:18

Someone has finally mentioned that twee awful in this house we do disney shit. Makes me want to vomit up pixie dust!!

CuppaSarah Sun 01-Oct-17 10:59:38

I don't love plaques everywhere. Although the 'What would Elvis do?' Plaque hanging over the downstairs toilet always makes me giggle.

MrsOverTheRoad Sun 01-Oct-17 10:59:52

Drinks Go on pinterest and put in things like "Cosy sitting rooms" or "Stylish sitting rooms"

Whatever you like personally. That will give you loads of ideas.

DrKrogersfavouritepatient Sun 01-Oct-17 11:00:41

And a SHIT for the toilet.
Still chuckling at this MrsOverTheRoad

MeriReu Sun 01-Oct-17 11:00:48

Love rose gold too blush
I like everything to look spacious (I guess that means empty to some - as my mum points out grin )
So I really like storage furniture to keep stuff in but it is quite 'sharp' and I hate being able to clutter

Can't do with the tweeds and twigs and hearts made of twigs.

My friend has a wall sticker above the bed that says 'kiss me before you say goodnight' and I hate it grin

Cornettoninja Sun 01-Oct-17 11:03:16

I love a bit of crushed velvet and twiggy shite grin

I don't, however, want to read my walls and think that wooden house cladding stuff is this generations pebble dash. It looks okay if a bit stepford wives now with so many houses getting it, I personally love good old brick and would douse every house in ivy and wisteria if it wasn't so destructive.

Cornettoninja Sun 01-Oct-17 11:04:10

Oh and open plan is a loser for me and much more of an issue since it's bloody everywhere. Open plan is noisy. I want doors.

HolgerDanske Sun 01-Oct-17 11:04:55

I cannot stand it.

Someday I actually am going to get SHOWER SHIT SHAVE for my boyfriend's bathroom, since apparently we're all idiots who have to remind ourselves what each room is for.

echt Sun 01-Oct-17 11:11:20

There has to be plaque for these:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e9Y023-mnc

Aderyn17 Sun 01-Oct-17 11:13:51

Any mass-produced 'art' that came off a supermarket shelf is not art.

Bollocks. Art is anything people find beauty in!

This is the new 'twigs and pebbly shit' thread. People should have whatever makes them happy in their homes - 'good' taste is subjective anyway. Personally, I like velvet (although not in a house with dc --my dh--) and fairy lights etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »