Talk

Advanced search

An Irish person would never say this

(380 Posts)
yodelehoho Fri 29-Sep-17 12:30:11

"I'm thinking of moving to the north east, where can you recommend"

Neither would a Scottish person, not a Welsh person.

Why do English people seem to think that everything revolves around England? I see this time and time again on Mumsnet. People assuming that "North East" is flipping England.

thewooster Fri 29-Sep-17 12:44:19

Do you mean they should say I am thinking of moving to the North East of England?

StinkPickle Fri 29-Sep-17 12:46:11

YANBU

The north east to me means Aberdeen but I assume the posters mean Newcastle 🤔

Idontevencareanymore Fri 29-Sep-17 12:46:15

Well if I'm in england in therror southouse, I'm going to say I want to move to the north east.
Otherwise I'd state I want to move to Scotland or Ireland.

I say I live down south. There's a lot of the south. It's just generally.

HouseworkIsAPain Fri 29-Sep-17 12:46:26

Well it’s because an English person, in England, has England as his or hers frame of reference. The north east by default means the north east of England to that person.

VladmirsPoutine Fri 29-Sep-17 12:49:26

Yabu. People speak relative to where they're based. Yes a Welsh or a Scottish person may not use those exact terms but so what. I used to live in France and would always say, 'I'm going back up' when talking about coming back to England.

But when in England, Manchester specifically (when I lived there) I'd say I'm going 'south' when I meant Devon or some such a place.

In London I'd say 'I'm driving west today' to describe driving back to Bristol. It's all circumstantial. If the question is whether or not there's too much focus on London being all of the UK then fair enough. But that's not what you've mooted.

TheStoic Fri 29-Sep-17 12:49:48

Would an Irish person say that on an Irish site?

yodelehoho Fri 29-Sep-17 12:52:21

What I'm saying is that a Welsh person or a Scottish or Irish person would not be so presumptious as to think that everything evolves around their country.

SumThucker Fri 29-Sep-17 12:53:18

An Irish person wouldn't say "I'm moving down south"? Or do you mean they'd mention the exact area rather than a general direction? I don't understand your AIBU.

TheStoic Fri 29-Sep-17 12:54:33

Well neither would an Australian, unless it was on an Australian site.

This site is predominantly English, isn't it? Whether you like it or not?

Mammysin Fri 29-Sep-17 12:54:39

I am Irish living in Ireland. I will be moving to the North East of England. I say I am moving to England.

SumThucker Fri 29-Sep-17 12:55:29

I'm English and don't believe everything revolves around my country, I just live here so it's obviously the first country I think of if I hear NW/NE, South etc...

AuntLydia Fri 29-Sep-17 12:55:30

Oh actually I do hear people refer in Wales to just 'the North' and 'the South'. It's a context thing surely..if you're in England talking about North or south then it's assumed you mean of the country you are in.

SilverySurfer Fri 29-Sep-17 12:55:38

Honestly, who gives a damn.

Isetan Fri 29-Sep-17 12:56:06

What! I don't live in London anymore but when I did, for me and my teenage friends (who never ventured far from London at that point in our lives), 'going up north' meant Highgate. It's all relative! This apparent recent trend to be precious and offended by anything and everything, is getting really old, vey quickly.

FrancisCrawford Fri 29-Sep-17 12:57:43

Well it’s because an English person, in England, has England as his or hers frame of reference. The north east by default means the north east of England to that person

That makes total sense when in face to face conversation. Although I've never heard a fellow Scott talk about Kircudbright as "the south west", it was always be qualified with"of Scotland"

On something like MN, it makes no sense to presume a poster is English because many are not. And because nobody knows where a poster is from.

So if someone was talking about "the north east" and in the absence of any other information about the poster the only logical inference is the they mean the northeast of mainland Britain, i.e. Aberdeen. I

PerfumeIsAMessage Fri 29-Sep-17 12:57:54

Fuck! I'm in the south of EUROPE! The North East to me would be Croatia I suppose.

And I forgot to be professionally offended! shock

<runs round trying to care>

<fails>

nNina22 Fri 29-Sep-17 12:58:17

Well I suspect it's because demographically most people on Mumsnet live in England. I'm sure no ofence is meant to the Scots or Irish

Phosphorus Fri 29-Sep-17 12:58:38

Well if an Irish person said they were moving to the west, I'd assume Mayo or somewhere.

If a Welsh person said it, I might guess wildly at Holyhead?

If an English person said down south, I'd wonder about Devon.

yodelehoho Fri 29-Sep-17 12:58:50

Oh, so this is an "English" site is it??

Buttercunt Fri 29-Sep-17 12:59:18

You must have worked your way through a long list of complaints about English people to get to this one.

RoryGilmoreWasAwful Fri 29-Sep-17 12:59:24

I'm Irish, when we moved to Manchester I said I was moving to England.
When I said I was moving to Dundalk I said God help me I was moving to Louth. I wouldn't say "the north east" because I rarely hear Irish people say that about Ireland but I would also never say "the north east of Ireland".

PerfumeIsAMessage Fri 29-Sep-17 12:59:47

I worry though for the OP- there are lots of threads naming shops and things that do not exist in Ireland. Or indeed where I am.

We must protest forthwith that no further mention be made unless there is the name of the country in brackets next to it.

Or perhaps not.

yodelehoho Fri 29-Sep-17 13:00:33

Phosophorous - exactly. If you were in their country. However posting on an international website is different. I can guarantee that no one in Australia, Canada, Scotland etc etc would say that on an international website.

Only the English do.

Si1verSt0rm Fri 29-Sep-17 13:00:35

Well Newcastle and Sunderland etc are known for being "the North-East" regionally. Just as Birmingham is "The Midlands".
I'm in London and tbh, I would refer to anywhere abive Birmingham as "The North".
If I was going to Scotland I would say I was going to Scotland.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: