Talk

Advanced search

aibu to love this blog post about why formula feeding is brilliant?!

(823 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

girlwithasecretsmile Tue 26-Sep-17 20:42:48

I think it's great to have a post talking about good things about formula for once but part of me feels bad for laughing so much.

passmethebottleblog.wordpress.com/

FenceSitter01 Tue 26-Sep-17 20:44:53

I'm in agreement with you.

No one ever became a sociopath because they had Cow and Gate, no one ever became a genius because they had bitty.

Daffydil Tue 26-Sep-17 20:50:10

At 6 months 99% of babies are formula fed. I don't think it needs much cheerleading.

IroningMountain Tue 26-Sep-17 20:53:57

Why not?

Fab product

Doglikeafox Tue 26-Sep-17 20:53:59

I think Daffydil has hit the nail on the head

Witsender Tue 26-Sep-17 20:55:16

Given the majority bottle feed, it is hardly the underdog. 😂

InDubiousBattle Tue 26-Sep-17 20:59:25

YABU it's, imho an angry piece of writing absolutely full of nonsense. No one and I mean no one thinks that babies who are ff turn out to be emotionally stunted psychopaths unable to form relationships. No one thinks formula is poison.

Women who wear nursing bras have the shape of a bean bag and feel as sex as a syphilitic donkey? Speak for your fucking self!

paia Tue 26-Sep-17 21:01:55

It's a pretty boring and badly written post. She may as well have written "I find it easier and more convenient" and been done with it rather than blither on that long. As pp have said, its not like ff needs extra support, most people do it.

IroningMountain Tue 26-Sep-17 21:02:12

You clearly haven't read the other thread where ff is likened to a bag of chips.

I've seen it likened to smoking, burgers etc several times on here.

lionsleepstonight Tue 26-Sep-17 21:06:02

Love it.

Cat2014 Tue 26-Sep-17 21:08:34

What a horrible blog post, her anger is directed in totally the wrong direction

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Sep-17 21:12:07

It's a bit odd.

greatbigwho Tue 26-Sep-17 21:13:00

I literally couldn’t care how you feed your baby, but I really don’t understand the phrase “fed is best” Surely “fed” is the bare
minimum parents aim for? When they’re no longer babies, huge amounts of effort is put in to what they’re fed, at no other time is “fed is best” acceptable - so why for babies?

And just to reiterate, I genuinely don’t care whether you breast feed, combo feed, formula feed, use donor milk, whatever. Do your research and make your decision yourself.

Crunchymum Tue 26-Sep-17 21:13:12

I hate smugness and self righteousness whether it be from a breastfeeder or a formula feeder.

Just feed your baby and stop making a big old drama out of it (dc1 was FF and dc2 was BF so I really, truly, 100% have experience of both)

toomuchhappyland Tue 26-Sep-17 21:14:20

Meh. She sounds like she feels guilty and defensive and sees attack as the best form of defence.

And personally I'll take the "inconvenience" of having to take vitamin D supplements in return for lifelong reduced risk of breast cancer that bf provides, as well as the reduced risk of childhood leukaemia, diabetes, asthma and eczema for my dcs. A bit selective with her facts there hmm

InDubiousBattle Tue 26-Sep-17 21:14:27

Ironing I've read loads ofinfant feeding threads on her and can honestly say i've never heard ff compared with smoking. In the blog she compares breast milk to eating a salad because bm is mainly water, not entirely sure what she imagines the main constituent of f is.

InDubiousBattle Tue 26-Sep-17 21:15:47

Bah! I meant on here not on her.

Freezingwinter Tue 26-Sep-17 21:16:37

Do we need to refer to Breast feeding as bitty, really? confused

IroningMountain Tue 26-Sep-17 21:17:14

So have I and I have seen it likened to smoking several times.

You clearly didn't read all threads.

I've also seen it blamed for cot death.

glow1984 Tue 26-Sep-17 21:17:56

It did give me a bit of a giggle smile

WhooooAmI24601 Tue 26-Sep-17 21:18:52

No one thinks formula is poison.

This is absolutely not true. I know three such women who'll shout this at anyone who even whispers "bottle fed baby". PP's are correct that Formula is mainstream but there are absolutely people out there who'll tell you that to give your child formula is to poison them, to be less of a mother, to be selfish and concerned only with your selfish needs. I went out several months after giving birth to DS2 (who was breastfed as DS1 had been) and woke the following morning to see a couple of pictures of our group of friends surrounded by a few bottles of wines. Under the photos on social media one of these Angry Breastfeeders had written "I never had you down as one of those selfish drinkers, Whoo, and I certainly don't think a decent mother would be out til the small hours neglecting their child so they could get drunk. You do realise your child won't be as intelligent if you switch to Formula at this point? "

Women compete over the smallest thing sometimes. Breast vs Bottle is just another competition, just another way to pit Mother against Mother. It's ridiculous. And DS2 is the silliest child on earth despite the breastfeeding, so the 'more intelligent' thing is bollocks.

EC22 Tue 26-Sep-17 21:19:07

Babies who are formula fed are at greater risk of cot death and death in general. That's just fact.

YokoReturns Tue 26-Sep-17 21:20:14

Agree with daffydil

Why would you need to champion formula? Most babies drink it.

Shadowboy Tue 26-Sep-17 21:20:41

I think it's bloody brilliant. Why? Because it's basically someone who shows that they too struggled to hell with breastfeeding and that they obviously got slated for FF (like me!) so it's nice to know that there are others out there who went through the same issues. I laughed at some of the points too.

GoodMorning1 Tue 26-Sep-17 21:21:05

'I am still at the point where I feel the need to justify my decision to people.' Obviously! Hence her rant was so long and ridiculous!

One of my nursing bras was one of the prettiest bras I've ever owned. Far from making me look like a bean bag, breastfeeding helped me lose my baby weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now