Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to start a campaign to ban wipes?

(296 Posts)
annandale Tue 26-Sep-17 18:56:20

Wipes are an environmental disaster, a key component of fatbergs and sold as a flushable essential when they should be treated like morphine - controlled except for specific medical needs. Anyone with me?

RuggerHug Tue 26-Sep-17 18:57:20

Or just a campaign to make sure they're not flushed?

notanotherNC Tue 26-Sep-17 18:57:34

Good luck with that.

Notevilstepmother Tue 26-Sep-17 18:57:44

I think a bin it don't flush it campaign may be more successful.

ijustwannadance Tue 26-Sep-17 18:57:49

It's the idiots who flush them that are the issue.

Sirzy Tue 26-Sep-17 18:58:17

They shouldn’t be flushed, and I have never seen them sold as such.

But no I wouldn’t support a ban. They are way to useful to ban!

abbsisspartacus Tue 26-Sep-17 19:00:15

Noooooo! How would I clean the children! Won't somebody PLEASE think of the CHILDREN !

Umm no sorry op

cantseemtohaveitall Tue 26-Sep-17 19:00:54

Def a campaign to stop people flushing them - can't believe people do this

existentialmoment Tue 26-Sep-17 19:01:05

What tools flush wipes? Not many people.

But fuck off if you want my wipes!

CigarsofthePharoahs Tue 26-Sep-17 19:01:05

They're such a useful product but you are right!
However, things like cooking oil and sanpro shouldn't end up in the drains, but they do. Can't see them being banned.

existentialmoment Tue 26-Sep-17 19:01:40

re the morphine comment: no-one is with you.

catgirl1976 Tue 26-Sep-17 19:07:12

Christ no. You'll pry my wipes from my cold dead hands.

I use baby wipes, disposal cleaning wipes, stainless steel wipes, leather wipes, face wipes...

I don't flush them though obviously. I appreciate they may not be as great for the environment as a lentil-woven hessian cloth and cold water but they are bio degradable and bloody handy.

bottlesandcans Tue 26-Sep-17 19:07:52

Controlled like morphine!
It's a wipe you old drama queen

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Sep-17 19:08:39

I love wipes. But I don't flush them.

AnotherEmma Tue 26-Sep-17 19:10:03

Washable wipes are the way to go.
Not going to happen, though, not on a mainstream level.

Smeaton Tue 26-Sep-17 19:11:23

What will I clean my post shag penis with? Do you expect me to dunk it in some kind of beaker on tje nightstand? Or should i use a crusty sock from the floor? No no no, some of us have class.
In don't flush them tho.. Merely display them in the ottoman as a sign of a conquest, there was a time when a notch in the bed post would do.

fatberg Tue 26-Sep-17 19:12:12

Wouldn't a washable wipe just be a cloth?

AnotherEmma Tue 26-Sep-17 19:13:55

fatberg
Well yes but you can get different fabric types and sizes. The ones that are a good size for baby faces or bums are described (in the marketing) as wipes, for example.

RideSallyRide Tue 26-Sep-17 19:14:43

I never understood those wet loo roll wipes. Where do you dispose of them? Do they sit in your bathroom bin stinking of shit for a week?

MrsPicklesonSmythe Tue 26-Sep-17 19:15:47

Not that many people flush them Do they? Are people that stupid? Maybe if you could convince a company to start giving away washable alternatives more people might give it a go similar to cloth nappies. I wouldn't but some might.

strawberrypenguin Tue 26-Sep-17 19:16:24

Umm I don’t think you’ll get a lot of support. Baby wipes are amazing for all sorts of cleaning jobs! Don’t know anyone who flushed them though!

cakeandteajustforme Tue 26-Sep-17 19:16:41

I love cheeky wipes (washable wipes) for at home. But when out? Wipes all the way.

thefairyfellersmasterstroke Tue 26-Sep-17 19:17:08

If they're flushable and biodegradable then why wouldn't you flush them?

honeybeetheoneandonly Tue 26-Sep-17 19:18:33

I use tons of baby wipes, they clean almost anything but they never get flushed. I also have flushable wipes in the bathroom which are great for little tushies after certain poos. I used to flush them but since coming across a thread here a while back, that said they shouldn't be flushed either, I have binned them after use instead. I don't know anyone who flushes baby wipes but quite a few people use flushable wipes. I have no idea why flushable wipes shouldn't be flushed though.

PsychoPumpkin Tue 26-Sep-17 19:22:14

Hahahahha no. I love wipes and buy them in multipacks as I have two under two. We have a pack in almost every room of the house.

I don’t flush them though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now