Talk

Advanced search

When people boast, I want to downboast

(68 Posts)
brasty Tue 26-Sep-17 18:51:18

When you meet someone who really boasts a lot, I always want to go the other way,

For example, we are so proud of Lily, she is only four but can count up to a hundred in Russian and can write her name in 10 different languages.

I really really want to say something like - We are so proud of Chloe, she is only 4 but has finally stopped trying to peel and eat the wallpaper in her bedroom.

Is this a British trait to feel like this? I am guessing Americans don't feel like this? I probably ABU as I think I connect it to the idea of showing off.

Passmethecrisps Tue 26-Sep-17 18:52:32

I think it is a bit of a British thing. We find it hard to be open about pride and accomplishment. We also have a soft spot for the underdog as a general rule.

CigarsofthePharoahs Tue 26-Sep-17 18:59:36

My usual response to boasting parents is to nod, give a fake smile and then back away.
I think I'll try what you do now, it sounds much more fun.
"Oh, we're so proud of little Xavier, he's only 6 but but he won the cross country against ten year olds!"
"Oh, I'm so proud of ds1. He's only 6 and when he did his usual fall off the slide today, he managed not to need a trip to A&E afterwards."

UserX Tue 26-Sep-17 19:00:49

Well good for you, aren't you just the least boasty person to ever walk the earth?!???!?

PointingandStaring Tue 26-Sep-17 19:13:49

Well good for you, aren't you just the least boasty person to ever walk the earth?!???!

confused bit snippy aintcha?

RoderickRules Tue 26-Sep-17 19:18:52

I think UserX must be Lily's mum from the OP.
grin

BusySittingDown Tue 26-Sep-17 19:28:33

I always find myself being faux impressed and feeding their egos and hating myself!

For example:
Them: Little 4 year old Lily is reading Harry Potter already.
Me: Wow, oh she’s so clever. My 10 year old isn’t even reading Harry Potter!

So yeah I sort of do the down boasting thing too. My 10 year old is actually quite bright and her English and literacy is above average - I don’t know why I do it confused. Think it’s because you just know that this will happen:

Them: 4 year old Lily is reading Harry Potter.
You: Oh that’s good. 4 year old Jonty read Harry Potter last year, no he’s reading War and Peace.
Them: well Lily read War and Peace last year so she’s just reading Harry Potter for fun in between writing her dissertation...

pieceofpurplesky Tue 26-Sep-17 19:34:26

I do this in a different way! If someone says 'I love your necklace' I always have to say 'it was a bargain, not expensive' as if I am ashamed something cost money-- although usually not that expensive--

balsamicbarbara Tue 26-Sep-17 19:36:49

You say it's a British thing but that sort of humour sounds a lot like Larry David in Curb Your Enthusiasm to me. I don't think self deprecation for comic effect is particularly British but more a sign of a confident sense of humour.

AVirtuousLife Tue 26-Sep-17 19:39:30

Who put a bee up you arse UserX?

Anyway,
Back to the OP...

I just smile briefly then change the subject when boasty types start.

minipie Tue 26-Sep-17 19:43:19

to be fair to UserX this does come across a little bit like a boast by the OP about how unboasty she is grin

OP I very very rarely come across anyone boasty, so I don't get the urge. But then I do tend to hang around with British self deprecating types.

TheLuminaries Tue 26-Sep-17 19:44:35

I love a pass agg down boast - it makes me feel quietly superior in a uniquely British way grin

Ginfernal Tue 26-Sep-17 19:51:45

I like your style.
I remember sobbing down the phone to my Mum when my DD was a toddler as it seemed my antenatal group had offspring that had Mensa potential at 18 months and highly overachieved already where as my little snowflake was eating woodlice and drinking out the birdbath.

JustHope Tue 26-Sep-17 19:54:20

Nothing worse than a boasty bore. I work with one who boasts about her child genius, sports superstar DS. Feigning interest in these boasts is really hard work.

SisyphusHadItEasy Tue 26-Sep-17 20:02:48

I only have one boast about DD - she has multiple disabilities and performs at a level several years delayed.

However, the boast is to a party trick level, as DD is completely ambidextrous (even though her 12 year old hands write like a 3-4 year old).

Even the worst boasties' precious geniuses haven't been able to do that one yet grin

Either that, or I make up ridiculous crap.

dyathinkso Tue 26-Sep-17 20:05:47

I always think of Kevin Bridges and when anyone boasts I reply

"Did ye, aye?" Or "did they, aye?"

Being from Glasgow, that brings people right back down to earth. Say it deadpan

Ivy79 Tue 26-Sep-17 20:07:15

For example, we are so proud of Lily, she is only four but can count up to a hundred in Russian and can write her name in 10 different languages.

I really really want to say something like - We are so proud of Chloe, she is only 4 but has finally stopped trying to peel and eat the wallpaper in her bedroom.

@brasty that's hilarious! People should totally DO that. grin

Take no notice of the grizzly @UserX. Must be past her bedtime.

I think she is totally missing the (hilarious!) point. smile

rosybell Tue 26-Sep-17 20:17:10

Oh god I do this. Someone put a pic of their reception child's writing of the word 'poo' on facebook as a kind of stealth boast I guess. I commented 'that's great-ds can't even hold a pen'

She told me not to worry, kids develop at their own rates ..

midnightmisssuki Tue 26-Sep-17 20:21:38

i get this a lot with other people's children - everyone's 4-year old is significantly smarter than my daughter or reached so and so milestone quicker than my daughter - i just say 'oh wow - my daughtersname is pretty cool' then walk off or change topics... I don't know if my daughter is fast or slow for her age - she's only bloody 4 for gods sake! grin

whattobeexpected Tue 26-Sep-17 20:24:38

Yes British trait!
Another common thing someone mentioned is when I get complimented on a tip for ex.

"Oh thank you it was only £5 primark"
Practically ripping it off myself to give to them.. why?

Fidoandacupoftea Tue 26-Sep-17 20:24:52

Cousins visiting for the first time saw the piano and asked who played. My DD2 does and when they asked her to play before she could reply I said oh no she will never stop. I have no idea why I said that as she is quite shy and will never do that.

whattobeexpected Tue 26-Sep-17 20:25:00

Top**

BrieAndChilli Tue 26-Sep-17 20:30:25

I do the thing where you say something that may be boastful but immediately followed by something the opposite of boastful
Eg 5 year old DS is reading lord of the rings but of course he stills wets himself...

Fidoandacupoftea Tue 26-Sep-17 20:30:33

I also have to do that you can never guess how cheap it is crap. A stranger on a bus liked my bag and I had to tell her I got it for a £1 in accessorise as it had ink stains, and insisted in showing her the evidence confused

Ttbb Tue 26-Sep-17 21:05:27

It's called manners, unfortunately the vast majority of the world doesn't seem to have any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now