Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be freaking out?

(52 Posts)
flappymcflap Tue 26-Sep-17 13:56:43

Ok I'm in a complete flap.

I apologise in advance for the TMI nature of this post!

I had sex on the weekend and afterwards there was blood everywhere. It was definitely from me, and not him. It was bright red blood like a period bleed, not just a bit pink.

I had an STI screen and examination recently which was all fine, so not likely to be an infection. I am up to date with my smears.

I've googled (yes, I know I shouldn't have) and it says the most common cause of bleeding after sex in a woman over the age of 35 is a gynaecological cancer.

I'm panicking. This doesn't look good, does it?

I will go and get checked, but FUUUUUUUCK!!!

toolonglurking Tue 26-Sep-17 14:15:18

Are you absolutely positive it was you? I once had sex with a guy who has a small tear on his foreskin and my God there was a lot of blood, it was like a horror film!
If you are sure it was you, is your period due? If not, then yes, I'd give the doctor a call and get checked out.

SecretFreebirther Tue 26-Sep-17 14:39:44

My sister had this, absolutely terrifying, called an ambulance it was that much blood. No pain though. Turned out to be a laceration on her cervix that required surgery shock It wasn't particularly serious though, try not to worry but Go and get checked.

TammySwansonTwo Tue 26-Sep-17 15:13:39

You've probably got a cervical erosion which is a terrifying name for what is a benign issue (cells which should be above the cervix end up on and below the cervix and bleed very easily). You should have an internal and a smear test and may need a colposcopy to be safe - if you have one and it's causing you issues like this you're best off having it cauterised. Being on the pill is one of the main causes - are you on the pill?

flappymcflap Tue 26-Sep-17 15:52:05

More TMI, sorry!

I'm assuming it was me because there were a few very tiny clots in the blood and I would imagine if it was from him that wouldn't have happened.

The doctor looked at my cervix about a month ago when I last tested and said it looked normal, so no ectropian or anything either.

My period isn't due for another 10 days.

Still panicking sad

Lovingmybear2 Tue 26-Sep-17 15:53:55

Don't panic as it knows st probability is nothing serious.

Go see the doctor though.

MrsJamesAspey Tue 26-Sep-17 16:01:20

What contraceptive do you use?

TammySwansonTwo Tue 26-Sep-17 16:02:11

The doctor may have missed it, or it may be a new thing if it's never happened before. I would not overly panic at this point - just get checked out smile

flappymcflap Tue 26-Sep-17 16:02:37

I have a coil.

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Tue 26-Sep-17 16:02:56

Could you be pregnant? I had this when I was pregnant with my first after sex, about 5 days before my period was due

MrsJamesAspey Tue 26-Sep-17 16:05:47

I had this with the coil, was gushing blood for weeks, go and see your GP it'll be fine

flappymcflap Tue 26-Sep-17 16:10:13

I did a pregnancy test his morning which was negative.

MrsJames what did the GP do? How did they know it was because of the coil?

MrsJamesAspey Tue 26-Sep-17 16:17:06

It was a few years ago so my memory is a bit vague. I think the coil had moved, the GP told me to go back in a week if I was still bleeding, I think it lasted 10-14 days but this was unusually long.

Snotgobbler99 Tue 26-Sep-17 16:21:41

Male here.

I once had a blood vessel burst somewhere in my urethra during sex and it started to bleed profusely. Bright red, arterial blood. It lasted a few minutes then stopped; so suddenly it was as if it had never happened. The doctor did some tests and said he couldn't find anything wrong and that I should only start to worry if it happened again - it never has.

It was a long time ago but, thinking about it, there's a lot of blood at high pressure down there during an erection. So, if a blood vessel does burst in that area, it's going to be messy.

Anyway, this can definitely happen to a male, so don't assume it can only be your problem.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 26-Sep-17 16:22:18

Had it been a while since you've had sex until the weekend.

ALittleMop Tue 26-Sep-17 16:29:17

I had this - it was a cervical polyp - totally benign and nothing to worry about - doctor whipped it off in 3 seconds.

Go see the dr and get your peace of mind back

flappymcflap Tue 26-Sep-17 16:44:07

It's happened the last few times after sex, but nowhere near as bad as what happened on the weekend.

No it's not been that long since I last had sex.

flappymcflap Tue 26-Sep-17 18:02:10

Snotgobbler thanks. When it happened to you was it obvious that the blood had come from you? He is fairly sure it wasn't him?

Snotgobbler99 Wed 27-Sep-17 00:11:53

Yes, definitely from me. I hadn't felt anything odd but was changing position when I saw blood. I withdrew fully and the blood continued to drip steadily out of me for two or three minutes.

I'm not normally bothered by the sight of my own blood but it was pretty disturbing. My - longterm - girlfriend wasn't too impressed either, it was at the same time as the Don't Die of Ignorance adverts...

Motoko Wed 27-Sep-17 01:21:51

Well, bleeding after sex is one of the symptoms of cervical cancer, but you said the doc looked at your cervix recently, so try not to panic.
Do go back and get it checked out though.

BigSunglasses00 Wed 27-Sep-17 02:12:40

I had a friend who had this happen to her. She went to the hospital and it was something relatively benign - a burst cyst, I think?

I've had post-coital bleeding before, which the doctor deduced was caused by hormonal birth control, but it was a very small amount of blood - nothing like you were describing.

Gorgosparta Wed 27-Sep-17 05:58:46

Thia happenes to me a few times.

I had scans and a blood tests. They couldnt find a cause. Definitely not cancer. They said it was hormonal. It stopped after a few months.

If its bad see a doctor. But dont panic about it being something really bad. There could be loads of non life threatening reasons.

Flappymcflap Wed 27-Sep-17 21:18:46

I saw the doctor today. No signs of anything at all on my cervix, so he didn't know what was going on.

My boobs have been really sore for a couple of weeks, but my pregnancy test was negative and my period is due next week sometime, so maybe it is hormonal? Trying not to think of the worst but not succeeding.

Motoko Thu 28-Sep-17 06:58:36

Curious. Hasn't he referred you for other tests?

BTW, your post isn't highlighted as you've capitalised your name, whereas it's all lower case in the OP.

flappymcflap Fri 29-Sep-17 11:03:38

My STI results were negative. I think I'm going to be referred to gynae now, but the wait is likely to be quite long...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now