Talk

Advanced search

to hate self service tills

(179 Posts)
thewooster Tue 26-Sep-17 12:05:48

I know they have their uses and sometimes I have used them when desperate but I'm so clumsy and useless with the damn things.

Today I went to Poundland and they have removed the manned tills apart from one and replaced with self service. One grumpy assistant (and I dont blame her for being grumpy) was sorting out the same old problem with customers and I pondered whether to wait in the massive queue at the manned till or go self service.

I opted for self service because I needed to get the bus quickly and oh my god I messed it up by scanning my item twice and then I put my quids in and it wouldn't accept one. Grumpy assistant had to come over twice to help me.

I got really stressed out and it's happened to me in Sainsburys too where I keep putting unexplained items in the bagging area - is it me?

I know self service is the future but can't they keep a few more manned tills for people like me? I suppose it saves money but I actually put some items back on the shelf in WH Smith because of their self service till.

expatinscotland Tue 26-Sep-17 12:06:52

I fucking hate them.

carefreeeee Tue 26-Sep-17 12:08:42

I hate them too. Would rather queue

Brahms3rdracket Tue 26-Sep-17 12:09:00

YANBU these things would be fabulous if they ever worked.

My poor children are now terrified of moving anywhere when near them, as they've accidently lent on the section that weighs your items or taken something they've been waiting for before I've paid. They're far too sensitive and seem to take more manning (and actually often take longer to use) than traditional manned checkouts.

RavingRoo Tue 26-Sep-17 12:12:12

I love them. Makes my supermarket trips much less stressful.

kaitlinktm Tue 26-Sep-17 12:12:21

The unexplained item in the bagging area always happens to me too - I don't know what I do.

Still, they are better than they were when they first introduced them in our local Tesco some years ago. A woman's voice used announce all your items out loud for all to hear - it was excrutiatingly embarrassing.

"Extra large Tena Lady pads"
"Cheese and Onion flavour condoms" ok I made that one up

It was a bit like this: grin
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsNq3nQ612c

Dancingfairy Tue 26-Sep-17 12:14:06

Oh I love them!! Can't remember the last time I went to a normal check out! I would rather use a machine. No annoying small talksmile and I can pack at my own speed.

Oysterbabe Tue 26-Sep-17 12:14:22

They should keep more manned tills for people who are inept at them. I'm like a self-service ninja and it's frustrating being in a queue watching someone paw cluelessly at the screen.

Oysterbabe Tue 26-Sep-17 12:14:59

I love them because I throw all my loose change in without having to count it.

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 26-Sep-17 12:16:54

Oh come on! Keep your kids away.... make them wait.... instead of moaning

splendidisolation Tue 26-Sep-17 12:20:17

I love them! Im actually shit loads quicker at it than your average till worker.

What i hate are the middle.class disney dads who are like "go on Toby, put the coins in the machine for daddy!" /glances smilingly back at the rest of us waiting for the fucking angel to stop pissing around as we stare dead eyed at them.

NameChanger22 Tue 26-Sep-17 12:21:10

I always queue and refuse to use them. If there is no other option I always hunt for a member of staff and ask them to serve me.

Self-service means people are losing jobs or being devalued and given 0 hour contracts.

Those same people will be out of work and competing for the same jobs I want when I next need to find work.

wowfudge Tue 26-Sep-17 12:21:30

They are a cost saving device for the retailer. One person oversees a number of tills and your customers do the actual work. Cheaper than wages and easier than dealing with people. Possible argument for them is that they keep the cost of goods down.

I hate the way the response time between putting something on the scale and it registering so you can scan the next item isn't instantaneous. Tesco near us changed their tills and some of the actions are very small icons at the bottom.

ToastyFingers Tue 26-Sep-17 12:21:40

I love them! No small talk or upselling, I get to go at my own pace (fast and efficient) and can offload all my change/pay half cash half card without the cashier looking at me like I'm nuts.

RainbowPastel Tue 26-Sep-17 12:22:31

Love them. So quick and get rid of all my coppers.

HunterHearstHelmsley Tue 26-Sep-17 12:22:33

I love them. Nine times out of ten they work perfectly for me. Tesco do seem to have the worst ones though.

thewooster Tue 26-Sep-17 12:22:59

I'm glad it's just me that hates them.

I couldn't believe Poundland had just 1 manned till and the rest self service. Surely have half and half?

EvilDoctorBallerinaDuckKeidis Tue 26-Sep-17 12:23:16

"Unexpected item in the bagging area."

IT'S A FUCKING BAG! HOW UNEXPECTED CAN IT BE? 😠😠😠😠😠

NormHonal Tue 26-Sep-17 12:23:37

To be avoided at all costs when:

a) you have children with you who want to "help" and take things out of the basket before the till is ready and, as PP has said, lean on the scales

b) you have no bag and do not wish to have a bag <till's circuits blown>

c) you wish to purchase anything light e.g. greetings cards. Too light for the scales to recognise.

Ugh. Hate the blardy things and avoid if at all possible.

moofolk Tue 26-Sep-17 12:23:49

YANBU it's just an excuse to employ fewer people and they don't even work properly.

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 26-Sep-17 12:24:32

I’m in charge of our tills.... no, they do not mean 0 hours contracts or less staff! grinhilarious you think that!

More and more over 60’s are using them... or at least having a go. Generally I find more and more people complain to me when self service is closed and the only choice is a manned till!

RunningOutOfCharge Tue 26-Sep-17 12:25:48

It’s not an excuse to employ less people at all hmm

PaintingOwls Tue 26-Sep-17 12:26:19

It might be you. I rarely have any issues and I love them, I don't feel like I need to rush or anything.

Firesuit Tue 26-Sep-17 12:26:32

I thought self-service was always card only. Which ones take cash? And are they clever enough not to take an old £5 note?

SequinsOnEverything Tue 26-Sep-17 12:27:22

I do love them for all the reasons above, but as above, hate the unexpected item in bagging area. I have just scanned it! Why weren't you ecpecting it! angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now