Talk

Advanced search

Suspended sentence for a domestic abuse?

(72 Posts)
AtHomeDadGlos Mon 25-Sep-17 17:38:53

AIBU to think that this is absolutely ridiculous?

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/sep/25/oxford-student-lavinia-woodward-gets-suspended-sentence-for-stabbing-boyfriend

AtHomeDadGlos Mon 25-Sep-17 17:39:37

How do you put a clicky link in?!

CockacidalManiac Mon 25-Sep-17 17:42:54

Sometimes I’ve noticed the link doesn’t ‘work’ in the first post on a thread. Try posting it again.

MissionItsPossible Mon 25-Sep-17 17:43:33

You add square brackets

I just came on here to post this. I am fucking speechless. If this was a man, or even a working class/"unattractive" woman, they'd be given time. A waste to the medical profession indeed, I wouldn't particularly want to be operated by someone who thinks it's acceptable to stab people she's angry with.

MissionItsPossible Mon 25-Sep-17 17:44:08

www.theguardian.com/law/2017/sep/25/oxford-student-lavinia-woodward-gets-suspended-sentence-for-stabbing-boyfriend

Clicky link

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 25-Sep-17 17:46:53

I remember this story a few months ago where the judge said. She shouldn't be sent to jail because itd ruin her career. He said he'd defer sentencing until a later date.
Its disgusting. She got off Scott free because she's a middle class posh toss pot. If she was a lager lout "chav" from a council estate. Shed have got 5 years. angry

Userwhocouldntthinkofagoodname Mon 25-Sep-17 17:48:37

I wonder what would have happened if it was a boy who had stabbed his girlfriend... confused riots on the streets

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 25-Sep-17 17:48:51

I'd sack the judge as well. He's not fit to keep us safe.

Birdsgottafly Mon 25-Sep-17 17:53:02

This is the second thread on this, did you start the other one?

"I am fucking speechless. If this was a man, or even a working class/"unattractive" woman, they'd be given time"

Now they wouldn't, look on local news sites. We are going back to benefit fraud (and other nonviolent crimes) getting custodial sentences and violent crime/rape, even towards children, getting suspended sentences.

TheFairyCaravan Mon 25-Sep-17 17:55:43

She should never be allowed to work with the public.

Someone with a personality disorder and alcohol and drug dependency shouldn't be allowed to be any sort of doctor.

Had she have been a 24 yo woman, with no job, she'd have got a much harsher sentence. It's bloody disgusting.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 25-Sep-17 17:57:59

Over my dead body would she be operating on me or one of my loved ones

MissionItsPossible Mon 25-Sep-17 18:01:58

Birdsgottafly

I didn't start this thread or the last one if that part of your post was directed at me.

I maintain that she would have, especially as drugs were involved AND she broke the conditions of her bail.

pigeondujour Mon 25-Sep-17 18:03:30

I wonder what would have happened if it was a boy who had stabbed his girlfriend... * * *riots on the streets*

Crikey, you're joking aren't you?!

Gingernaut Mon 25-Sep-17 18:04:23

She has been sentenced for a violent offence.

She must report it on every job application, it will show up on a DBS check and it will always show up.

If in the next 18 months, she's convicted of another offence, or should she break the terms of what ever conditions the court imposes, she could end up in prison for the 10 months, plus whatever new sentence is imposed.

Having said that; she has a PD, drug and alcohol issues and she's proven to be violent. Why she's still in medical school is beyond me.

MotherPeresA Mon 25-Sep-17 18:05:35

This demonstrates the reality of privilege: there's male privilege, white privilege, straight privilege.... but, really, they are all quite secondary to class privilege.

If you are playing the game - i.e. you appear middle-upper class, presentable and educated, then doors open and barrier melt away.

We've become so obsessed with other characteristics that we've forgotten these basic fact.

Whether this is because so many of the leading voices on privilege are themselves middle class isn't for me to say. However, a little bit of research into the background of many so-called campaigners reveals little in the way of hardship.

Auspiciouspanda Mon 25-Sep-17 18:07:03

Whilst I agree she should have been given prison time my ex wasn't even charged when he beat me black and blue and stamped on my head in front of our two young children.

So please save the 'if it was a man' comments.

CockacidalManiac Mon 25-Sep-17 18:08:38

MotherPeresA

Yep. Too right.

JonSnowsWife Mon 25-Sep-17 18:10:17

She got off Scott free because she's a middle class posh toss pot. If she was a lager lout "chav" from a council estate. Shed have got 5 years.

I agree. Hope the AG looks at this.

TammySwansonTwo Mon 25-Sep-17 18:11:05

Can't believe the "if it was a man" comments... do you people read the papers? Men get away with far worse every day. It's a class issue - I'm looking at you, Brock Turner.

JonSnowsWife Mon 25-Sep-17 18:11:41

But not quite Scott free though. A suspended sentence is still a sentence. It's just not a custodial one.

BeansOnToastWithCheese Mon 25-Sep-17 18:14:29

Many people have personality disorders. Some of them would be good doctors, some of them would not.

But make no mistake, their personality disorder has NOTHING to do with it.

scurryfunge Mon 25-Sep-17 18:14:49

Yes, please save the "if it were a man" comments. The man that broke my leg when i intervened in a domestic assault got a suspended sentence because it would have caused him significant hardship to be imprisoned immediately.

OlennasWimple Mon 25-Sep-17 18:15:08

<hollow laugh> at the "a man wouldn't have got away with this" comments... hmm

stitchglitched Mon 25-Sep-17 18:15:18

She should be in prison but in a world where a man was recently cleared of rape because he claimed he slipped and fell on the victim please spare us the 'if it had been a man' posts. Men get away with violence all the time.

CockacidalManiac Mon 25-Sep-17 18:15:38

Many people have personality disorders. Some of them would be good doctors, some of them would not.

Yes to this too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now