Talk

Advanced search

Work focused interview lone parent

(5 Posts)
Ifonlylifewasimple Mon 25-Sep-17 15:58:55

I've just attended my first work focused interview at the job centre.

I'm a lone parent with a one year old and a two year old. I have been claiming benefits for just three months so I'm surprised to be called for an interview already.

I have every intention of going back to full time work, I've worked full time since leaving school over 20 years ago and have never claimed benefits before.

Anyway, I've been told I have to attend an interview every month so they can help me return to work! I don't need their help I can find my own job and the interviewer even acknowledged she can't help me find a job as I'm better qualified to find one myself as I have a long career in my field.

I thought these interviews were twice a year not every month. Has anyone else been in my situation and asked to attend every month?

wrenika Mon 25-Sep-17 16:42:01

Nope, once a month is normal - well, it was the last time I was on jobseekers which was a while back but I doubt it's changed. (I'm potentially jumping the gun here - I assume you are claiming jobseekers since you've gone to the job centre?)

MustObey Mon 25-Sep-17 16:53:14

After working for the same firm from age 16 - 30 I was made redundant, Claimed job seekers and I had to go every fortnight with proof of applying for at least 2 jobs a week (applied for a lot more than that) and they would then authorise next payment....other than that they offered me no help in finding a job and when I did get one I had to jump through hoops to get my claim closed!

Bblu3Sky Tue 26-Sep-17 11:37:34

Universal credit attend every week at job centre and sign the electronic system

Dippingmytoesin Tue 26-Sep-17 11:39:05

It should be once your child is two that you have monthly meetings then once the child is 3 they're weekly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now