Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not allow my dc to choose how to decorate their room?

(71 Posts)
rosybell Mon 25-Sep-17 15:14:42

DH think IABU to not want our ds to choose his own room decor. DS is 6 and obsessed with Star Wars/villains etc and wants to paint his room red and black. I have tried compromising with him- e.g. 2 red walls and 2 grey. He won't consider this. Have also agreed to get him a big Star Wars canvas etc.

I had brought a lovely pale nautical blue to paint it and was going to put a cool world map mural up as well as his Star Wars poster.

He is adamant he wants it red and black. He won't really compromise or consider other options.

The room is dated and needs redecorating and Dh thinks we need to let him choose as it's his space, which I kind of understand I guess. But I also think we are Paying for it and doing all the work? Not sure if iabu?

elQuintoConyo Mon 25-Sep-17 15:17:41

Could you do something plain but go nuts on posters/bedding? Or compromise on one red wall behind his bed.

Tbh i'd decorate it how he wants it as he'll only be young once.

I never never had a room how i wanted it - not even close. And we rent, so ds' room is white all over with posters and funky bedding. I'd be quite happy to paint it floor to ceiling Chase and redo it in Minions next year.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 25-Sep-17 15:18:39

I would. Because it's fun. And why not? If it would be an absolute nightmare to repaint in a few months if he hates it, that's one thing (and bear in mind that red paint is a nightmare to cover) but you only live and love Star Wars once!

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 25-Sep-17 15:19:46

<hums the Imperial March>

PandasRock Mon 25-Sep-17 15:21:52

I'd let him do it.

But then, my ds has a room that is yellow and orange (he chose it when he was 4)! It's bright, but he's happy smile

I'd be looking at painting red, and getting black furniture, as think black walls might be a bit dark, but otherwise, why not?

KickAssAngel Mon 25-Sep-17 15:23:11

red and black are really hard to cover. Like, you'd almost definitely need to paper over them with lining paper, and then do several layers of paint to really get rid of them.

It would probably be less work to find Star Wars paper, put that up, then remove it later.

I'm generally in favour of letting kids choose, but those colours will give you problems for years.

There's no reason why it has to be red and black, either - there are several colours associated with Star Wars, so you can still do that theme without having to use that paint. Gloss for woodwork is easier to paint over than the walls, if you want some compromise.

krustykittens Mon 25-Sep-17 15:23:16

My youngest adores Star Wars. Also loves country cottage decor. Her room gives me a headache grin. Let him have it the way he wants, OP, he will love it and you will be the best Mum EVAH!

NapQueen Mon 25-Sep-17 15:23:21

Pale blue with a map is what you want. Its worldd away from what he wants. Give him some freedom. Maybe agree one wall red (with the rest his choice of white cream or grey). Bed linen star wars, lampshade, prints up etc. All low cost changes.

Sunnydaysrock Mon 25-Sep-17 15:23:25

There's definitely a compromise to be had there. But it is nice for kids to love their rooms. And paint is easy to change down the line. Who decided on the map? No point putting something up if only you think it's cool. Last year we did our DSs room in the colours of his football team. Sounds horrendous but 3 walls blue, the other in the darker team colour. Stripey carpet. It looks ok! Giant wall stickers and also some Star Wars stuff chucked in too. It's a kids room, it's not meant to be beautiful.

implantsandaDyson Mon 25-Sep-17 15:23:56

Does he think the world map mural is cool? I think it sounds lovely but I'm not 6. I understand what you mean - my 9 year old loves Harry Potter - I showed her some lovely bits and pieces to put in her room - I got an eye roll for every thing I showed her grin. She prefers to write out passages from the books on scraggly file block and stick them up with blu tack onto her walls. That's her, that's her personality. I'd be inclined to agree with your husband but no redecorating quickly if he gets bored with it.

krustykittens Mon 25-Sep-17 15:24:38

I have painted over a dark red wall. One coat of white and then two coats of the pale blue grey I had chosen covered it. It's not that bad a job.

AnneBiscuit Mon 25-Sep-17 15:25:19

Don't be a meanie. It's his room so let him have what he wants. My teenager wanted bright red so that's what he got. Not my choice but I can change it when he leaves home, or gets fed up with it.

BarbarianMum Mon 25-Sep-17 15:26:35

I think you get to negotiate the details, but not to impose blue on him when he wants "Star Wars" colours.

Our kids got their own rooms a couple of years ago, and were allowed a heavy input to the decor. They were told that they'd be allowed to change them again at 13/14 but until then had to live with what they'd picked.

MinorRSole Mon 25-Sep-17 15:29:23

At that age mine have what they're given with some input but not full say. As they get older then yes I let them choose but I would still try and dissuade them from such dark, solid colours. My 16 year old has a very dark room though, he is going to paint it as has quickly realised mum was right!

silkybear Mon 25-Sep-17 15:30:40

let him do what he likes in his room. I had dark purple walls as a teenager after it being pastel pink my whole childhood which I hated. I painted it white after about a year so the dark colours were just a phase but im glad I got to do what I wanted at the time.

Bluntness100 Mon 25-Sep-17 15:31:01

Well of course you’re paying for it and doing the work, he’s six. What a weird mindset. He can hardly pay for it and do it himself. Does it make it less of his room? Does he have less rights if he’s unable to pay for it and do the work himself at six years old?

I’d also let him have the colour scheme he wants. The fact I was paying for it and doing the work wouldn’t really occur to me when it is in conjunction with a six year old confused

Ecureuil Mon 25-Sep-17 15:33:56

Well we've just bought a house and I am suprising my 3 year old with the purple unicorns decor that she's so desperate for so I can't really comment! Although I have done their playroom pale blue with a world map mural...
I'd let him have it. They're only young once.

SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad Mon 25-Sep-17 15:34:37

Would he compromise by having a large wall mural e.g. www.photowall.co.uk/photo-wallpaper/categories/star-wars and three plain walls..?

silkybear Mon 25-Sep-17 15:34:53

it isn't that hard to paint over dark colours if you buy dulux or similar. cheaper paint is thinner and takes a few more coats. but really you don't need lining paper its no big deal!

scrabble1 Mon 25-Sep-17 15:37:48

Absolutely decorate in Star Wars colours !

NC04 Mon 25-Sep-17 15:38:24

What about three red walls and one black, with black skirting and door?Could look pretty cool

(Before anyone rolls their eyes at the thought of coloured skirting, as a teen mine were dark purple and, whilst nobody believed it would work beforehand I got nothing but compliments afterwards. It was fantastic!)

NoParticularPattern Mon 25-Sep-17 15:43:16

Neither black nor red are that hard to cover- I managed it in 3 coats without lining paper and I went to very slightly off white so hardly a bold colour to change to!

I had a bright yellow and bright green bedroom when I was little. Top half yellow and bottom half green with a wavy silver border in the middle. I loved it but my parents probably hated it. I’d probably just let him have it however he likes- he’s only little once!!

FenellaMaxwellsPony Mon 25-Sep-17 15:43:52

www.very.co.uk/arthouse-cosmos-wallpaper/1600165612.prd?sku=sku19885482&cm_mmc=google-_-PLA+-+Home+%26+Garden-_-Home+%26+Furniture+-+Wallpaper-_-na_85148785258&utm_medium=cpc&k_clickid=f095e42c-f317-4677-853e-aa22a6af9584&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shopping_Home%20&%20Garden&utm_term=na&utm_content=85148785258&profileid=402&keywordid=na&productgroupid=pg1331889&device=m&gclid=CjwKCAjw0qLOBRBUEiwAMG5xMHmtFupCFFAyrrX8EswbFl5oUMNmnMuOwX4Gy2rmFuQVu3cxiQ4evRoC998QAvD_BwEWhat about something like this?

LillianGish Mon 25-Sep-17 15:44:48

Of course you are being unreasonable. He's a six-year-old boy and he wants Star Wars not tasteful muted tones. He's the one who is going to be sleeping, playing and hanging out there not you. If it's your own house I'm not sure why you'd say no. Don't you want him to love his room? I agree with the previous poster that painting over it in years to come will be no big deal - a white base coat and a couple of coats of the new colour (I've done just that, transforming a chocolate brown wall into Farrow and Ball Green Blue). I'd do it as a surprise for him to see the sheer joy on his face.

NeedsAsockamnesty Mon 25-Sep-17 15:45:07

I'm pretty sure I have seen a Star Wars full wall wall paper somewhere

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now