Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this is cheeky as hell

(51 Posts)
noyoucanthavemycat Mon 25-Sep-17 10:13:27

OH is notorious for making friends with just about everyone. The other night a friend of his takes him along to a small house party and he befriends the hosts. He accidentally leaves his glasses behind.

The next day he tells them he left the glasses and they say they'll come and drop them off, sounds lovely!

Except the lady and her boyfriend turn up with her 2 kids and teenage niece in tow and invite themselves in. I'm in the kitchen at this point and OH is too kind to turn them all away please be meaner next time

They have a female cat that is very similar to one of our cats so they're gushing over him saying how they want them to have kittens together. Didn't bother me too much though I'm not keen myself.

Then the kids start saying they want to take our cat home! (they are about 8 & 11 so old enough to be polite) And the bf starts talking to our cat and saying 'oh you want to come home with us don't you'!!! And I then later find out he secretly asked OH if we would sell our cat to them! shock OH met them the day before and this was my first time meeting them!!!! (not to mention I'd never do that to my cat!)

They proceed to stay in our home for a few hours watching Netflix, making comments about our cat and inside jokes about our other cat in front of us (wtf?) despite OH saying bye to them already! They also kept making strange pointed remarks about items in our home like 'oh thats nice' 'you know I really like those things too'. In the end my mum 'called' with an emergency and we had to go. Only then did they leave.

AIBU or is this taking the fucking biscuit confused

Subtlecheese Mon 25-Sep-17 10:15:41

It sounds bizarre

Userlavender Mon 25-Sep-17 10:16:45

They are weirdos but you are even more weird for letting them stay. Are you an adult? You had to get your mum call with an emergency? Next time say 'thanks for callinf we we are off out in a minute / expecting visitors / have things to do - i have your coats ready for you. Thank you'. I don't know anyone in real life who would rely on their dp to be 'the mean one' or sit with people in their house for 3 hours who they don't want there. People on mn enable all the freaks.

Travis1 Mon 25-Sep-17 10:17:11

shock In the name of god how did you not just tell them to GTF? They aren't your freinds and I wouldn't want them to be if this is how they behave.

HarrietKettleWasHere Mon 25-Sep-17 10:17:21

WTF? Why let it happen?

Travis1 Mon 25-Sep-17 10:17:45

*friends stupid typo and not being able to edit angry

nodogsinthebedroom Mon 25-Sep-17 10:18:50

Less cheeky - more just plain odd confused

And (sorry to be preachy but) get your cat spayed! smile

CatsOclock Mon 25-Sep-17 10:21:13

Bizarre. I think I would have a had a prior engagement after about half an hour.

KimmySchmidt1 Mon 25-Sep-17 10:22:45

yes, get your cat spayed.

noyoucanthavemycat Mon 25-Sep-17 10:23:14

Sorry I am not the best in social situations, anxiety and the like. In the moment I really didn't know what to do, I was put totally on the backfoot and was completely overwhelmed blush obviously I know I didn't handle it well, but it's not really my behaviour I am asking AIBU about.

@Userlavender Jeezo calm down, we aren't all perfect hmm

noyoucanthavemycat Mon 25-Sep-17 10:24:29

Also yes, cats are about to be booked in to be spayed!

Userlavender Mon 25-Sep-17 10:25:03

@noyoucan't i know but this is weird and every single poster on mn has anxiety issues. It's a bit much - if you don't want people in your house ask them to leave. And if you can't don't bitch about a delicate husband who couldn't ask them to leave either. Always the same.

HarrietKettleWasHere Mon 25-Sep-17 10:25:13

Did tog name change, OP?confused

HarrietKettleWasHere Mon 25-Sep-17 10:25:30

*you obviously.

guilty100 Mon 25-Sep-17 10:30:20

It sounds like they are socially lead-footed and didn't realise they weren't welcome. But the second part of that sentence is partly your bad too. You can move to get someone to leave your space without actually saying so, using your tone of voice and body language. Being assertive about boundaries is partly your responsibility!

noyoucanthavemycat Mon 25-Sep-17 10:30:57

yes did namechange, oops blush have reported my comment.

@Userlavender I wasn't bitching that OH didn't ask them to leave, he did ask them to go several times and they seemed to take no notice confused

Also the anxiety isn't an excuse, I don't mean to drip feed but we just lost a full term baby so my mental state isn't the most stable right now. Normally I can handle my anxiety quite well.

HarrietKettleWasHere Mon 25-Sep-17 10:33:45

Was the teenager really happy to be dragged around some random person's house to talk about cats and watch their telly?

I'd have been fuming as a teenager for that!

Yellowheart Mon 25-Sep-17 10:34:27

Why isn't your cat spayed?

caffelatte100 Mon 25-Sep-17 10:35:27

I think you need to ask your partner to support you more and to help establish boundaries for himself and to help you to as well. Sorry about your loss. These people sound really bizarre.

Userlavender Mon 25-Sep-17 10:35:51

@harriet - same. My kids would have kicked them out before me to be honest.

Nuttynoo Mon 25-Sep-17 10:35:58

Strongly suggest you have a stern word to your OH. This was his fault. It’s not possible to make ‘friends’ in one meeting as an adult and he needs to stop risking his family by inviting strangers.

Idontevencareanymore Mon 25-Sep-17 10:37:08

Op this sounds utterly bizarre!

I think lesson learned for next time they arrange to stay in your house and steak your cat, you've got plans that can't be cancelled. And don't let them in.

AWaspOnAWindowInAHeatwave Mon 25-Sep-17 10:45:13

flowerssorry for your loss, OP.

noyoucanthavemycat Mon 25-Sep-17 10:45:45

Cats hadn't been spayed yet as they're 2 male indoor cats and ashamed to say money has been a bit tight.

Teenager did seem bored to death though but didn't seem to find it weird, I guess they do this often?! confused

Will definitely be having words with OH. If he lets them in again I'll have to find the lady balls to kick them out myself! He is definitely a bit naive when it comes to people. He is a people of the world kind of person and sadly is often taken advantage of. He is working on it though smile

Nanny0gg Mon 25-Sep-17 10:46:32

Why isn't your cat spayed?

Presumably the time wasn't right till now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now