Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Smartphone addictions?

(10 Posts)
Emlou07 Mon 25-Sep-17 08:23:08

I know I'm not being unreasonable, because it's true. For me anyway.. but does anyone else feel like they spend more time on their phone than with their children, their partner or just doing anything else?

Example, if you're looking at something on your phone and they want attention, you kind of shoo them away so you can carry on?

I hate myself for it and yesterday bought a cheap £10 phone to use instead.

I definitely feel like its an addiction. I get annoyed when I see mums at soft play ignoring their children because they're on their phone.. but at home I'm no better!

Your opinions? I'm just ranting.. 🙄

makeourfuture Mon 25-Sep-17 08:31:05

Penny dreadfulls were spoken of similarly.

PoptartPoptart Mon 25-Sep-17 09:03:16

I used to be a bit like this, but now the tables have turned... DS is now 12 and getting him to put down his phone and engage with the family is a major daily battle

CarolinePenvenen Mon 25-Sep-17 09:09:06

I admit I’m like this. DD1 actually takes my phone out of my hand before she talks to me which makes me feel awful but I can’t seem to stop.

MrsJamesAspey Mon 25-Sep-17 10:09:15

I spend a lot of time on my phone but never ignore anyone because of it. If my DP is here I don't pick it up, and if either of my dc walk into the room I immediately put it down. That's the joy of phones and the internet, whatever your looking at will still be there 5 minutes or 5 hours later.

Tigresswoods Mon 25-Sep-17 10:16:47

If there’s no one around & I’m bored I am proper addicted. If there’s someone with me I’m not bothered. I think I’m addicted to interacting.

KanyeWesticle Mon 25-Sep-17 10:25:12

We went on holiday with friends this summer and one of them was awful about this. We were in a fantastic place with loads to see. He barely glanced at the country! Literally constant messaging. It's so antisocial, disrespectful and isolating.
I thought I was bad but I was never anywhere near that bad! It has helped me resolve to put the phone down every time, whenever someone else is in the room though.

maras2 Mon 25-Sep-17 10:28:47

Makes me laugh when the 'offenders' think that they can't be seen doing it as they try their hardest to interact normally but so obviously have one eye on the screen.wink
You ain't foolin' no one. < stares at 3 family members > smile

Niamhisnotarealname Mon 25-Sep-17 10:35:59

I did this slot after the birth of DC1 I think it's a form of escapism and disengaging with family life because I didn't deal well with the pressure of having a 6 month old that wanted my attention CONSTANTLY so I hid behind a screen. I am an introvert and couldnt cope with the constant demand on my time and attention very well. Now he is older I enjoy spending time with him more than I did when he just screamed at me but it IS a nasty habit to get in to. sometimes in pool at DO staring at his and I am staring at mine and feel a bit sad ☹. I deleted the facebook app yesterday. Can't seem to delete mumsnet though.

Niamhisnotarealname Mon 25-Sep-17 10:37:05

* look at Dp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now