Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

A parking one

(41 Posts)
manglethedangle Sun 24-Sep-17 22:14:17

I'll try and upload the pitiful but obligatory diagram

Moved 2 weeks ago. Live in the end terrace of a row of traditional back to back style terraces. House on the left when we're in it is attached, left is detached.

We are the only house on our top quarter or so of the road with a drive, the road is crammed full of cars and really narrow, the bin lorry only just fits down the road.

As the road is so crammed that we park both our cars on the drive one in front of the other. For the last 2 nights some knob has parked his 4x4 so that half the front wheel and his bonnet is partially obscuring our drive, half the wheel is over the dropped curb. Doesn't seem like much but due to it being such a narrow and crammed street, the walls either side of the drive and the drive being only car width plus person wide it's near impossible to get out with it there without damaging either it or the car the other side of the drive (whether ours are forward or rear facing, makes no difference).

Due to a) being new and b) the large number of houses in small area we have no idea whose car it is. I leave for work at 6.45 tomorrow, in my car. If it's still there I can't get out. So I'm going to have to knock the neighbours up. That'll make me popular confused.

AIBU to think you don't obscure ANY part of a dropped curb, and especially when a car is in the fucking drive?

Diagram- H = house, green is our dropped curb.A is an alley between 2 rows of terrace houses.

sparechange Sun 24-Sep-17 22:15:48

Excellent diagram!

manglethedangle Sun 24-Sep-17 22:17:07

A on the bottom row is us, the diamond shaped house is the detached next to us, the dotted line our drive boundary.

AllToadsLeadToHome Sun 24-Sep-17 22:18:12

Find out who it belongs to before you go to bed and tell them you need to go out in the morning.

FeckTheMagicDragon Sun 24-Sep-17 22:18:46

Call the police on 101. I believe it's an offence to block you in your drive. They should be able to trace the car owner and ask them to move it.

manglethedangle Sun 24-Sep-17 22:19:23

Is knocking people up at 10.30pm more acceptable than at 6.45am then?

Escapepeas Sun 24-Sep-17 22:20:41

Check if your council paints lines which mark a dropped kerb. I only found our recently that ours does this and am seriously tempted to request it.

KeepServingTheDrinks Sun 24-Sep-17 22:20:49

I'd whizz round NOW with notes for all your immediate neighbours saying "Hi. We live at no xxx. If you drive a 4x4 registration xx please could you move it before 6:45 tomorrow morning so it not obstructing my car when I need to leave for work"

Allthewaves Sun 24-Sep-17 22:23:03

i'd pop notes now but say i'm leaving at 5am

AntagonyAunt Sun 24-Sep-17 22:26:47

Knock on any doors where you see lights on. I would rather that than 6.45am. Did you foresee this being a problem?

manglethedangle Sun 24-Sep-17 22:28:20

Unfortunately not escape

TheOriginalMagratGarlik Sun 24-Sep-17 22:29:13

Even if a vehicle is not visibly on the drive, it's antisocial to park even partially over someone else's drive without first checking with the owner that it's ok.

My husband and I both ride emergency response motorbikes (which are not at home permanently, only when we are on shift - I'd rather not specify the type of emergency response vehicle). They are not parked on the drive, but in the garage when not actively in use as we can be called out from home when on shift and at any time of day or night and we also need to reduce the risk of theft. If someone blocks our drive (and they won't see any vehicle on there - it's in the garage), it means our response time could be significantly delayed.

Don't just assume because you can't see a car on the drive that you are not blocking someone in.

Hortonlovesahoo Sun 24-Sep-17 22:29:20

I'd call 101 and ask them to contact the owner. I'd also take pictures as proof as it'll help if you want to ask for the painted lines

manglethedangle Sun 24-Sep-17 22:30:08

Antagony, I didn't. I don't think most people obscure a dropped curb! I'll be parking on the road from now on. We were being nice. Fortunately I get home from work early enough to bag a road spot.

HidingBehindTheWallpaper Sun 24-Sep-17 22:33:18

Many moons ago I called the local police station when a car was blocking mine in. They called the owner and asked them to move.

AntagonyAunt Sun 24-Sep-17 23:05:37

You must live in a nicer area than I do op, with more considerate people. I always see people blocking driveways and parking too close to junctions. I would contact the council about the lines too.

AliceLutherNeeMorgan Sun 24-Sep-17 23:10:38

Nice graphics, and colour scheme. Good use of medium (envelope). I'll award that four stars!

womanbehavingbadly Sun 24-Sep-17 23:32:59

about to sound like a nag
be careful parking on the road if you have "driveway" specified on your car insurance.
if you're on the road and your car gets damaged outside your house it may invalidate it

womanbehavingbadly Sun 24-Sep-17 23:33:18

(FIL told me the same a while ago)

manglethedangle Mon 25-Sep-17 01:20:33

woman we didn't as we couldn't be certain we'd use it.

GemmaCollinsBabes Mon 25-Sep-17 01:27:32

Have you put notes through OP?
If it is still there in the morning I would knock and make quite the fuss.
If anyone is arsey just repeat "it is illegal to prevent a vehicle accessing the highway, I'm sorry to wake you but as you can see this is the fault of the 4 x 4 owner not me"

Notanothergiraffe Mon 25-Sep-17 07:15:13

So what happened this morning OP?

AlwaysNeedTea Mon 25-Sep-17 08:07:46

Don't start parking on the road! Find the person blocking your driveway and tell them that you will be using your driveway!

BitOutOfPractice Mon 25-Sep-17 08:12:41

Hope you managed to get out op

Excellent diagrammery

DressedCrab Mon 25-Sep-17 08:14:13

Love the diagram. Hope you got out this morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now