Talk

Advanced search

Is this theft

(30 Posts)
Halfsack Sun 24-Sep-17 17:40:11

If someone takes something and says they'll pay and then never do?

ShowOfHands Sun 24-Sep-17 17:41:25

Yes it's theft. Theft is the dishonest appropriation of something with the intention to permanently deprive.

Halfsack Sun 24-Sep-17 17:42:54

Thanks. Apparently I'm being unreasonable and need to get a life.

HerOtherHalf Sun 24-Sep-17 17:42:56

Morally maybe. Legally, it's more likely to be breach of contract and a civil, rather than criminal, matter.

Halfsack Sun 24-Sep-17 17:45:04

Definitely a civil matter. Bloody ridiculous to be honest. But didn't know if was being unreasonable to say it's virtually been stolen.

Pengggwn Sun 24-Sep-17 17:45:05

Depends whether we are talking about goods or services. Depends whether the goods were as described. Depends how they said they would pay and why they didn't (if the payment issue is on your side, for example). Lots of variables.

Anecdoche Sun 24-Sep-17 17:47:54

you need to get a life?

because you want the money you are owed?
who is this charmer?

Halfsack Sun 24-Sep-17 17:48:11

It was goods. Never paid despite reminders then said goods got sold off on a selling site and never returned.

Pengggwn Sun 24-Sep-17 17:49:18

On the surface, YANBU.

HerOtherHalf Sun 24-Sep-17 17:50:40

then said goods got sold off on a selling site and never returned.

Not your problem, assuming you sold the goods to party A and party A tried to sell the goods on not acting as your agent.

Halfsack Sun 24-Sep-17 17:50:41

Thanks. Just making sure I'm not way off in my way of thinking. This person is quite clearly a sociopath.

Halfsack Sun 24-Sep-17 17:51:29

Well I say sold and then promised money later that day which never happened.

HerOtherHalf Sun 24-Sep-17 17:52:22

Why don't you just give out the whole scenario instesd of being overly cryptic? There are variables both morally and very much legally. Without the detail, you're asking people to piss in the wind.

Pengggwn Sun 24-Sep-17 17:53:56

There's definitely a slightly annoying lack of detail here. What happened?

Userlavender Sun 24-Sep-17 17:55:35

Sounds like you gave someone goods without taking payment first - in which case: probably nothing you can do unless you had a contract. Lesson learnt I assume.

HerOtherHalf Sun 24-Sep-17 18:01:44

Sounds like you gave someone goods without taking payment first - in which case: probably nothing you can do unless you had a contract.

Contracts don't need to be in writing and signed. The overwhelming majority of contracts are verbal and enforceable in law.

Userlavender Sun 24-Sep-17 18:03:10

@her other half - not always. It depends - sometimes things can be considered as 'gifts'. OP is really vague so who knows

Anecdoche Sun 24-Sep-17 18:04:18

take them to court. it costs very little and you can ask for costs to be paid by them.

to me, it is the principle and even if it was only a few quid i would do it.

HerOtherHalf Sun 24-Sep-17 18:08:43

her other half - not always. It depends - sometimes things can be considered as 'gifts'. OP is really vague so who knows

You're moving the goal posts. If you want to make the point that verbal contracts are harder to enforce than written due to the difficulty in proving the specifics i will agree. However, the op for all her vagueness, has made no mention of gifting so why introduce that as a possible option?

Halfsack Sun 24-Sep-17 18:09:28

Sorry guys. Yeah it was a bag she said she would pay me at a later date cos I'd got no change. Never did despite reminders. That's all there is to it.

Pengggwn Sun 24-Sep-17 18:11:10

She owes you payment.

ToadsforJustice Sun 24-Sep-17 18:13:25

She must give you the payment or the bag back.

Halfsack Sun 24-Sep-17 18:14:23

Bags been sold. By her. Still no money.

Userlavender Sun 24-Sep-17 18:14:51

Why did you give her the bag without paying or saying no problem I will hold it for you until x date if you would like to pay by then?

Pengggwn Sun 24-Sep-17 18:15:52

It's irrelevant that she has sold the bag. She hasn't paid you for it and that is your only issue. How long has this been going on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now