Advanced search

Drugs and neighbours. Should I report to social services?

(11 Posts)
Caketroubles Sat 23-Sep-17 18:23:47

Regular poster but changed details for this.
A close friend has bought an ex council flat near me. Her neighbour downstairs is a council tenant, a single mother with a toddler boy and a dog.
I think the block of flat is a mix of council and private flats now and generally quite nice. However, the new boyfriend of my friend's neighbour is a heavy weed user and most probably selling it too (quite a few people around our area have suspicions about him now). They can be seen smoking heavily inside the flat while both toddler and the dog are in there (dog is a reference to the incident few days ago where a dog got out of control after getting exposed to the drugs its owner was using to film a BBC program).
I have raised this with my friend and she admits that the smoke is far too much sometimes and reaches her flat too (structure of the building and flats).
I think she should report them. But I don't know what it can lead to. I hate people who smoke indoors and expose their DCs to passive smoke. I am also worried the guy is selling drugs and that they might expose the dog to the drugs (? Don't know how many. But copious amount of weeds must be present in the flat all the time).
I am in two minds. Please help. i feel very sorry for the little boy.

shouldaknownbetter Sat 23-Sep-17 18:25:45

I wouldn't for weed. For harder drugs, such as heroin or crack, I possibly would.

MatildaTheCat Sat 23-Sep-17 18:26:06

Why not report to the police? They will make a referral to SS if they deem child to be at risk.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Sat 23-Sep-17 18:35:07

Nothing will be done.
A weed dealer lived across the street from us, I knew him before he moved in as he had a child at my nursery. He also owned a dog.

He told me someone in his block had reported him for dealing, and all that had happened was his letting agency sent him a letter advising him he'd be liable for any smoke damage, and saying neighbours had noticed a large volume of visitors and they were obliged to make sure they did not disturb other residents.

I wouldn't advise your friend to report, it is unlikely to help as both police and ss were aware of the situation above and their advice to neighbours was to contact the lettings agency as there was nothing they could do. Also, if they do get contacted they might blame her - if she moved in recently it's likely they will suspect her.

Caketroubles Sat 23-Sep-17 18:42:22

Police sounds like a good idea.
I think my friend is quite scared of them to report tbh. She says she has seen violent behaviour specially when this guy is high. But quite a few people on the street have noticed it now. It only started a few months ago as the boyfriend pretty much moved in.

John4703 Sat 23-Sep-17 18:44:17

Report it to Crimestoppers 0800 555 111 as they will take anonymous reports. Make it clear that you are a friend who visits but do not live there. That way your friend is protected form any problems with the drug dealing neighbour.

brasty Sat 23-Sep-17 18:44:43

SS won't care about weed. But they will care that he is a violent man.

Caketroubles Sat 23-Sep-17 18:45:27

That is so sad. in this case, council would be the place to report probably.

Tealdeal747 Sat 23-Sep-17 18:46:18

They won't remove the child but they will support the mum- refer her to drug recovery services, maybe get some free childcare, extra health visitor visits, parenting classes and some advice.

Why wouldn't that be a good idea?

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Sat 23-Sep-17 19:02:59

I know Cake.

The child wasn't judged in any danger as she did well at nursery and ss had no concerns. The weed dealing is very hard to prove so very little is ever done about it.

But if he is violent and it's been witnessed by multiple people that can be investigated, so hopefully ss and police might be able to act as clearly he represents a danger and it can be proved by witness statements from the neighbours.

Caketroubles Sat 23-Sep-17 20:01:35

I don't think there is much that can be done by my friend alone. She needs to bring more of her neighbours on board though I think it wouldn't be that hard. Thanks for the great advice everyone and sharing your personal experiences too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: