Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The joys of easyJet boarding

(59 Posts)
Stressalot42 Sat 23-Sep-17 15:57:37

So I’m sat in the lounge waiting to board. The usual first calls for speedy boarders and passengers with children under 5.

I’m happy to sit and watch, after all I have designated seat and bag small enough to put under seat. The plane will get me on.

So speedy boarders and half the rest get up. Including a family of seven adults with one pre 5 year old. This family are then arguing with others, we’ve got an under 5, we should go first!

Really a total of 7 adults need to board with one child? It looks like child, parents, aunts, uncle and GPS! No one else is old infirm etc.

This could be a lonnnnnnng flight with then saying just push in we should get on first!!

AIBU to say the direct parents get one first and the others just chill!!!

And breathe!

toolonglurking Sat 23-Sep-17 16:03:53

I recently flew and an entire family (young baby, children, parents and grandparents - 9 in total) decided to all just sit together, not in their assigned seats.
My (pre-booked and paid for) seat happened to be one of the seats they had taken.
As someone who is terrified of flying, I need to sit in a specific place to stay calm, hence booking and paying extra for my seat months in advance.
The poor steward spent about twenty minutes trying to sort out the chaos these people selfishly caused, and I ended up sitting elsewhere and really struggling to stay calm for the flight.

Some people seem to become total dickheads when they set foot in an airport.

Stressalot42 Sat 23-Sep-17 16:05:58

Toolong that’s totally out of order!!! I hope they got moved?

Entitled twats!!!

RestingBitchFaced Sat 23-Sep-17 16:06:37

The plane isn't going to take off any faster, I don't get why people even want to get on first, the seats have already been allocated

chipsandpeas Sat 23-Sep-17 16:08:46

The plane isn't going to take off any faster, I don't get why people even want to get on first, the seats have already been allocated
when flying with the likes of easyjet and ryanair with hand luggage only i want to be one of the first on the plane so i can get my cabin bag on, after i was caught out and it going in the hold

Stressalot42 Sat 23-Sep-17 16:10:58

Exactly resting, but I’m going to be honest ....it amuses me watching the carnage of boarding!

We call the people who bound for the head of the queue, the rushy people!!

cassyoooo Sat 23-Sep-17 16:19:52

Me and DH always sit back as well and just watch then we walk on the plane the end and go straight to our seat and sit down.
When traveling with FIL he is always first in the queue

Topseyt Sat 23-Sep-17 16:20:44

The only reason why I would prefer to be reasonably early in the boarding process when flying with the low cost carriers is because only the first 90 (I think that's right) of cabin bags get to be taken in to the cabin. Beyond that and they are taken away at the gate and put in the hold.

I wouldn't pay extra for the privilege though, and I definitely wouldn't snaffle someone else's pre-booked seat. I would look only for the one reserved for me.

Stressalot42 Sat 23-Sep-17 16:20:54

Classy pop, we would be fighting you to be last!

cassyoooo Sat 23-Sep-17 16:21:37

We did have an entitled women once that got on after us and wanted our seat to sit with her kids. She got told

cassyoooo Sat 23-Sep-17 16:22:25

Fight to get on last grin that would be different, maybe we could start a trend

Stressalot42 Sat 23-Sep-17 16:22:47

Classy pop - Cassypoo!!!!

cassyoooo Sat 23-Sep-17 16:23:30

Cassyooo grin

cassyoooo Sat 23-Sep-17 16:23:54

With an extra o wink

Stressalot42 Sat 23-Sep-17 16:25:35

Oh bloody autocorrect! grin

Madbengalmum Sat 23-Sep-17 16:27:56

We had this a few weeks ago. Family of 7, including grandparents wanting to get on before business class passengers because they had one child, who wasn't an infant between them. They then were aggressive to the business class passengers wanting to get on before them, who had paid to do so. The world is full of entitled w**kers.

AJPTaylor Sat 23-Sep-17 16:30:12

Im with you. We had this on a flight to toronto. All seats pre allocated 7 hour flight. Why would you queue up to spend longer on the plane. I wait until nearly everyone and their granny is on, then go for a last wee and then stroll onto the plane.

lalalonglegs Sat 23-Sep-17 16:30:25

When I had three children under 5 and would be allowed on first, I would regularly find I had acquired a flying companion - always male - who would pretend to be with me, so they could sale on ahead. Quite often, they'd grab one of my bags or help with the pushchair so I didn't mind too much but it was quite brazen.

Hulder Sat 23-Sep-17 16:34:38

I used to fly a lot to Munich with Easyjet.

Watch the Speedyboarders get on - to queue in a staircase. Of course they were then first on the bus.

But then last off it as all us latecomers squished on after them.

Always wondered why they bothered as they were last on the plane fighting for a place in the overhead lockers. Ho hum.

Evelynismyspyname Sat 23-Sep-17 16:36:56

This weirdly happens a lot in all sorts of situations where a large number of adults are accompanying one small child.

Not just planes, but anywhere there is a queue or a crowd.

I'll often be there on my own with 3 kids (less now because my kids are getting bigger and all over 5, but it frequently happened when they were a baby, a toddler and a preschooler) and a group featuring grandparents, both parents, sometimes another couple of adults who I suppose might be aunts and uncles or godparents or family friends or something... and one child would be kicking up a huge fuss about needing special treatment/ to go to the front (as an inseparable group) because they had CHILD.

I'd be in equal part puzzled and annoyed as they shoved past me and my 3 small kids to demand priority as a group of 4 or 5 adults all somehow fully involved in the huge task of supervising one child.

Amanduh Sat 23-Sep-17 16:38:20

Yanbu. Queues in airports turn peoples brains to mush. Then again I flew with easyjet in June, 2 of us with a 6mo, they didnt speedy board us, man at gate didnt know how to tag the buggy and when I asked just shrugged, we had to walk down 6 flights of stairs with said buggy untagged to speak to someone else... it was ridiculous.

FleetwoodMacNCheese Sat 23-Sep-17 16:41:32

Toolonglurking- why didn't the steward get the passenger out of your seat?

Iris65 Sat 23-Sep-17 16:44:46

We are last boarders too. I have no interest in queuing, pushing and champing at the bit to get onto a plane 'earlier' than anyone else! As for baggage we only take what we can put under the seat. Anything else goes in the hold and we also can't see the point in rushing to the carousel and standing as close as possible to where the luggage emerges. Still, it keeps some people occupied.

Evelynismyspyname Sat 23-Sep-17 16:46:19

I don't even know if the low cost airlines priority board under 5s any more. Possibly not. I'm sure last time we flew EasyJet there were small children in the regular queue.

EasyJet do a stupid thing at some airports where there aren't even any seats and you are filtered straight into a queueing area. That's hideous, far worse than sitting and waiting to board.

There was a call to voluntarily put cabin bags in the hold last time we flew easy Jet, and in return we got priority boarding for free. That was worth it as all we had to put in the hold was the pull along case, we all still took a little kids' rucksack/ hand bag size bag into the cabin with stuff to actually use on the plane - our pull along cabin luggage only contained clothes as we weren't planning to take any hold luggage which we'd have had to pay for.

Travelling alone with 3 kids who are very good travellers and old enough to be not much trouble but not tall enough to put their cases into the overhead lockers themselves it was nicer to board without heavy cabin bags.

Fluffyears Sat 23-Sep-17 17:07:30

My main reason is so I get the overhead locker closest to me and I always worry about someone being in my pre-booked seats. Last time there was a smug last boarding couple who's luggage ended up at other end of plane. When it came time to get off they had to fight against people heading for the nearest exit. Feck that. I am one of the oadynoff themplane though rather than fighting my way out. The buses won't go till everyone is on and I can then get off quickly to go through passport control first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now