Talk

Advanced search

To ask for cash reimbursement

(21 Posts)
OurMiracle1106 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:26:46

Letting agents after 4 years have realised they don't have keys to the property which is weird as up until last month they did so I am assuming they have been lost.

So I have received a letter requesting me to get copies of keys and deliver them to their office.

Worse still once they have the receipt they will reimburse to my rent account. There's 4 keys so around £20 and I pay my rent on the 20th of every month and can't afford to lose that money for the rest of this month.

I'm also slightly annoyed that they expect me not only to pay for it, wait almost a month to get it back (would reduce my rent payment) but also to run around delivering them when they have clearly messed up.

Aibu?

NotCornflakes Sat 23-Sep-17 10:30:47

YANBU, that's outrageous. I rent and if my letting agents had lost the keys I would be concerned about security so I'd be asking them to change the locks at their expense. They messed up, they should fix it and not inconvenience you.

TsunamiOfShit Sat 23-Sep-17 10:32:51

YANBU, as they have clearly lost the keys you need to ask them to come around and change the locks for you, at their expense.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:40:20

I'd be livid too if the letting agents lost the keys. Tell them to bloody well come round and change the locks.

alltouchedout Sat 23-Sep-17 10:42:36

Yanbu. I would say as they have lost the keys they should organise and pay for new locks. Surely the landlord they act for wouldn't be happy with their request?

MrsBlobby83 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:42:48

Does the Landlord know the keys have gone missing?

OurMiracle1106 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:48:33

The landlord hates spending any money on the property so I doubt they would be bothered by lost keys tbh, it's not their security or insurance being breached is it.

alltouchedout Sat 23-Sep-17 10:52:51

Crap landlord and crap letting agents is an awful combination sad

MsVestibule Sat 23-Sep-17 10:55:25

You have the upper hand here - just tell them that you won't be getting replacement keys cut. I would be very concerned about security too - they may have had your address attached to them.

Unless you're worried that they might give you notice to leave if you don't cooperate?

HerRoyalChocolateBunny Sat 23-Sep-17 11:00:36

I would say they think it is simplest to just reimburse you in the way they suggest, Tell them you need the money and you can give them the receipt and expect to be paid straight away.

They may not be thinking it through- just doing what is easiest and not understanding the position it puts you in. They can pay it out of petty cash.

tell them. There's an easy peasy solution. They possibly have no idea of the stress it is causing you.

HerRoyalChocolateBunny Sat 23-Sep-17 11:01:59

Or alternatively, they have lost the keys and it's their responsibility. Say you will come with the keys at x date am so they can get them cut and pick yours up after work or at the end of the day.

You don't need to be running around, really.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sat 23-Sep-17 11:05:05

Could you get the keys cut when your rent is due and deduct the amount yourself from your rent?
I wouldn't be in any hurry to get them cut, a letting agent will rarely need to access your property and need your consent to do so.

As you say, it's their fault if the original retained keys were lost by them. That in itself is a security issue so you could argue that they need to pay for the locks to be changed..

expatinscotland Sat 23-Sep-17 11:06:35

YANBU. I'd just tell them I don't have the money to do that so there needs to be another plan.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 23-Sep-17 11:09:42

Tell them to contact the landlord, who would be mad not to have a set. Tell them this demand is counter to the "quiet enjoyment" of the property.

Patchouli666 Sat 23-Sep-17 11:14:28

You need to ask how and where they might have lost the keys. Did they have a key ring on them with your address or just a number linked to their filing system. If it's your address, tell them you want a new lock(s) as you will not be insured if you have a break in and the keys are used as you knew they were lost and therefore, any insurance company would expect you to change the locks. And it is their fault. Not the landlords. They need to pay for the fuck up. You only need to deal with them.
Absolutely do no running around here. If the keys are lost without your address on, best case scenario, tell them you will take the keys in, they can go and get their new set cut BUT you will need petrol money or transport costs refunded. Or they send an employee round one day when you'll be in to pick up keys, take them to get their set cut and return them therefore at no cost to you You should not be out of pocket at all because of this.

Patchouli666 Sat 23-Sep-17 11:16:11

A im a private landlord who issue a letting agent. It's part of what we pay our fees for, it is their wages but it also covers their fuck ups. I wouldn't even expect to be told if our letting agency lost the keys, I'd expect them to sort it.

BewareOfDragons Sat 23-Sep-17 11:43:59

Tell them they can send a courier to collect your key, have it copied, and then return your key. Tell them they will be required to sign for it.

astrotel Sat 23-Sep-17 11:46:30

If they have lost the keys then they have compromised your security. I would imagine that they keys were identifiable to your property in some way.

They need to replace all the locks and provide you with as many copies of key as your currently have (so allow foe any additional that you have had made)

peachgreen Sat 23-Sep-17 12:39:30

I suspect this would invalidate your contents insurance OP. Double check the terms and conditions. If so they really need to change the locks!

Anecdoche Sat 23-Sep-17 12:42:01

i would tell them that since they have lost the keys they need to pay for a locksmith to change the locks because if you were burgled your insurance would be invalidated due to the fact they lost keys

C8H10N4O2 Sat 23-Sep-17 13:07:38

Tell the agent in writing that you are concerned about your security and insurance validity with the house keys going missing. Especially if they are tagged to your property.

PP is correct - agent is paid to sort this stuff out, they need to change the locks and supply new keys. Expecting you to sort it makes them CFs. However if the landlord is a problem in terms of essential work they may well have recruited cheap quality agents as well, hence the CFery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now