Talk

Advanced search

To be amazed at how many christmas themed threads there are?!

(80 Posts)
LegoShmego Sat 23-Sep-17 09:32:24

Well the active thread list is showing alot more movement in the christmas topic, and I've seen a few in the chat thread recently too!

It's September ffs!!!!

Fair enough if your looking for deals.

But to talk about which wrapping paper theme your going for, or whether or not to do a christmas eve box (whatever the fuck that is!)

I even saw christmas cards in the works the other day.... it gave me slight rage!

Why prolong the experience more than you have to?!

EdmundCleverClogs Sat 23-Sep-17 10:08:53

I'm in two minds. On the one hand I personally think those who start on Xmas anytime before November are mad, but it's their prerogative to be 'super organised' as it were. On the other, I've been thinking about Xmas since May, when I found out I was due a week after the day with new baby. There's no way I'll be able to fight the crowds in December, and hosting family looks out of the question as well. I have no idea how others spend half the year unnecessarily worrying about it, it's exhausting!

I do understand for those who find it a struggle each year though. Leaving it until the last few weeks could well mean no money for everything, sadly.

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Sep-17 10:12:36

Thinking about and doing Christmas now has to take up 1/4 of the year apparently.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:22:56

The whole thing is a plot to create even more work for busy women. Don't fall for it.

justkeeponsmiling Sat 23-Sep-17 10:26:57

It sucks the joy out of the whole Christmas experience for me. No way would I want to buy presents yet, let alone wrap them! It doesn't feel frstive at all and just turns the festivities into another chore I have to complete as soon as possible imo.

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Sep-17 10:31:39

There is lots of Christmas stuff out in the shops already,do people really buy mince pies in September?
All the 3 for 2 tat was going out in Boots yesterday, it's really strange.

DearPrudence Sat 23-Sep-17 10:32:32

I think they do it because they like it. And it's in the Christmas topic, which can be hidden if you don't want to see it.

LoniceraJaponica Sat 23-Sep-17 10:35:19

I hide the Christmas topic. It's not my favourite time of year, and I prefer to keep Christmas to December, and not before.

We have Halloween, my birthday, bonfire night and SIL's birthday to get through first.

We don't do much at Christmas, and I have very few people to buy for. We don't like Christmas cake or Christmas pudding so I don't have to do any forward planning either.

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Sep-17 10:36:05

Perhaps it's a bit boasty too, about how organised they are, and they have already decided on the colour scheme for the Christmas tree three months early. grin

I wish I could hide Christmas in RL til it's actually Christmas.

LoniceraJaponica Sat 23-Sep-17 10:37:38

Me too Sparkling grin

Maybe we should start a "Christmas is overrated" thread or a "Keep Christmas at Christmas" campaign.

Ummmmgogo Sat 23-Sep-17 10:38:31

everyone has different hobbies live and let live

Nousernameforme Sat 23-Sep-17 10:38:38

I have 4 dc so i like to get an early start. I cant start any sooner than september though. Spare cash is needed for uniforms shoes and trips to the beach. Come september it begins. Have already booked santa visit. I dont wrap anything until late december though

Nousernameforme Sat 23-Sep-17 10:38:41

I have 4 dc so i like to get an early start. I cant start any sooner than september though. Spare cash is needed for uniforms shoes and trips to the beach. Come september it begins. Have already booked santa visit. I dont wrap anything until late december though

Unihorn Sat 23-Sep-17 10:40:06

There is a whole Christ.as board on here so that's probably why. But there are only three paydays left until Christmas and for many of us not blessed with large salaries, we have to start shopping and budgeting now.

Also I fucking love Christmas and I don't care grin

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:41:38

I like it. I love the build up to Christmas. Although I tend to just read them rather than take part.

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Sep-17 10:45:58

everyone has different hobbies live and let live

I had never thought of Christmas prep as a hobby but I think you might be right.

I do my Christmas shopping online in December as quickly as possible.

BillBrysonsBeard Sat 23-Sep-17 10:47:01

Me and DS were in the co-op a few days ago and he was presented with an array of chocolate santas and reindeer.. of course he wanted a santa didn't he. Summer has just finished sad (I love the cold months by the way, just wish Christmas didn't start until December)

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Sep-17 10:53:14

It must be quite difficult to explain to a pre school age child why the shops are full of Christmas stuff when it's 93 sleeps to go.

TisapityshesaGeordie Sat 23-Sep-17 10:54:10

"Why prolong the experience more than you have to?!"

This is a really weird way to think about Christmas, do you really find it that awful?

Personally I don't start planning till November and don't put decorations up till December, but I do start thinking about, with pleasant anticipation, from around September onwards. I can't imagine it being something to be suffered through in as short a space of time as possible, as you seem to suggest.

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Sep-17 10:57:20

I think it can be enjoyed more in a short space of time. But I don't need to go out and buy a Christmas pudding today. Or write my Christmas cards.

LoniceraJaponica Sat 23-Sep-17 11:02:57

There is no build up for us though. DD is 17 and in year 13. Her "build up" is A level mocks.

The school doesn't do much Christmassy stuff as they prioritise GCSE and A level mock exams at that time of year. They do a Christmas showcase, but it is mainly KS3 who take part because of said exams.

I think people who love Christmas probably have small children at primary school, larger families than we do and are more likely to live near their families and still have parents alive.

There is just the three of us. My parents are dead, MIL has alzheimers, my sister lives too far away to visit and MIL's alzheimers means we can't go and stay with her (the local B and B don't take paying guests at Christmas.

I tend to get "Everyone's-Having-More-Fun-Than-Me Syndrome" at Christmas and New Year, and can't wait until it is all over.

ilovesooty Sat 23-Sep-17 11:06:38

I'm with you Lonicera

CJCreggsGoldfish Sat 23-Sep-17 11:11:05

I love Christmas, but I don't actually enjoy the shopping, and I hate wrapping. By doing it early I get the majority of the crap jobs out of the way for December, and can then relax and enjoy it. Plus, I have a huge number of birthdays between now and Christmas (including both DC) so I have to be very organised or a major ball will be dropped somewhere.

I don't have a wrapping paper theme though...unless 'whatever I have left over from last year' is a theme now.

RyVeeta Sat 23-Sep-17 11:13:21

Apart from the fact that I enjoy it, I'm on benefits so getting an early start is an essential, I can't blow all my money in December so as I see things I think people may like, I buy them and put them away.

KC225 Sat 23-Sep-17 11:34:32

What harm are they doing?

I am on the Christmas board and it's such good fun and informative. I have cherry liqueur and blackcurrant vodka fermenting nicely for Christmas/New Year parties that to that board. These people love Christmas but people are posting it ideas for birthdays, Halloween etc.

I do tend to do my shopping early as I live in a different country, and I visit my elderly mother for a week before Christmas. I also love all the Christmas foods (of the country I am in and the traditional British stuff) and baking. So presents and got need to be sorted out so I can do all of that.

Don't open it. And don't venture over to th e Christmas board, you'll blow a gasket

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now