Talk

Advanced search

To STILL feel worried

(10 Posts)
cardboardboxx Fri 22-Sep-17 20:55:23

I found a lump in my neck a couple of months back...doctors said not to worry but sent me for an ultra sound scan to check. They found a benign tumour of a salivary gland. Had a biopsy today and the doctor at the hospital said 98% it's safe but they will have me back in a month to discuss results. A month is a long time to wait. No one can put my mind at rest! I know IABU in a way but it's so difficult to relax about it.

TheVanguardSix Fri 22-Sep-17 21:04:24

When consultants throw out figures like 98% certain, that in itself is reassuring. You have to keep in mind that this is what they do and see all day, every day. The pathology report will confirm their confidence.
OP I am from a cancer riddled family and I myself have had a lot of lumps and bumps checked out. I am also a very anxious person so I totally empathise with you! But being married to a GP and also having an uncle who's a pathologist has been helpful in easing anxiety while waiting for results. If the results are not good, you'll be called in far sooner, believe me.

When in real doubt, go for a second opinion.

PeterBlue Fri 22-Sep-17 21:06:57

If a Dr is prepared to give you a high percentage figure you can be sure that they are 101% certain in their own mind that it's OK.

cardboardboxx Fri 22-Sep-17 21:08:22

Thank you so much for replying. I have had family members with cancer too and I'm a bit anxious about my health in general anyway. I'm only in my late 20s but with 2 young children and I worry about their future. God I sound like a proper hypochondriac!!

cardboardboxx Fri 22-Sep-17 21:12:13

Peterblue thank you for replying. I know they can't ever say 100% but then I'm thinking oh but there's 1 or two percent I could of be dying! It sounds ridiculous of me I know. I've been to the doctors before about anxiety but I play it down a bit saying oh I'm just being silly and I'm probs my just imagining it!

balsamicbarbara Fri 22-Sep-17 21:12:40

It's also in a relatively accessible and easily monitored area which is encouraging. Not in your abdomen or somewhere tricky.

cardboardboxx Fri 22-Sep-17 22:01:02

That's what I thought...hopefully, whatever it is it can be removed easily

SpinDry Fri 22-Sep-17 22:07:50

I had a tumour in my submandibular gland. I had far worse odds, it was horrendous as i was pregnant when it was discovered and I had to have a biopsy and urgent cancer clinic referal it was awful. But it, and the whole gland, was removed just after baby was born and it was a benign tumour thank goodness. I know the worry you are going through, but with your odds I really think you can relax a bit as they wouldn't give you those odds without being almost certain of it being nothing serious.
I had no nerve damage or anything nasty after surgery either (it was a risk but not a huge one). And 4 years on it's all ok.... touch wood.
Good luck.

cardboardboxx Fri 22-Sep-17 22:12:45

Thank you spindry. So sorry you had to go through such an awful ordeal whilst pregnant and after your baby was born.

SpinDry Sat 23-Sep-17 21:15:24

Thanks cardboardboxx

Yeah it was pretty awful. I didn't want to bond with baby when she was born as I was convinced it was terrible news and I wouldn't be around to see her grow up so no point getting attached. My heart hurts a bit at the thought of it all now.
So when I had the all operation when she was 6 weeks old and it came back all clear, well I just can't tell you the relief. Utter tears of sheer joy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: