Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why more people don't use...

(67 Posts)
Saz467 Fri 22-Sep-17 18:33:19

Natural deodorant salt bars?!

They are awesome, they work (even on my sweaty and doubting husband), they are healthier (no breathing in weird chemicals), they last FORVER (one bar has already lasted over a year and I expect it to do another 2, no joke) and therefore they massively reduce both cost and waste. I reckon that using them has prevented us using 40ish aerosols over the last few years.

Try them and spread the love. Salt of the Earth is good, but packing lets it down, my current fave is Native Unearthed.

MarchEliza Fri 22-Sep-17 18:34:39

Do they really work though?? I'd heard they were worse than useless.

Never tried personally but I'm willing to be converted.

StereophonicallyChallenged Fri 22-Sep-17 18:36:20

Think I've seen these mentioned on packing without liquids threads OP so I will definitely be trying now thank you smile

Saz467 Fri 22-Sep-17 18:38:54

@MarchEliza they really do work! My husband didn't believe me, but forgot his deodorant one weekend away. He had to use mine, and was converted from then on. He even went for a run that weekend.

TheSpottedZebra Fri 22-Sep-17 18:40:10

Because people want an anti perspirant?

Graveyardkate Fri 22-Sep-17 18:42:10

Hear, hear! Another user here and yes I agree; they’re great. Completely neutralise any smell whatsoever. Salt of the Earth is plastic packed, but it makes it easier to apply and less prone to slipping out of your hand.... they’re also available in a lot of places.

MattBerrysHair Fri 22-Sep-17 18:45:05

They never worked for me, I'd always end up stinky by the end of the day. Plus my clothes got smelly in the put area due to the sweat. 40° washes with bio powder couldn't keep on top of the bacteria smell. To be fair, my sense of smell is extremely heightened by most standards.

Nuttynoo Fri 22-Sep-17 18:48:37

They don't work for me either: make me stink. I am very active though and commute. It's possible they work if you don't move much except for the odd bit of jogging etc.

MsAwesomeDragon Fri 22-Sep-17 18:50:28

I tried one once. It made me smell worse than not using anything at all. I stuck with it for about a week but got increasingly self conscious about the whiff. Then I went back to mitchum.

Saz467 Fri 22-Sep-17 18:52:58

@Graveyardkate - yes, the Native one I like does have packaging, but the SotE one I found the packaging crumbled. Might have just had a bad one though!

Glad to hear of another user, I just think it's such a no-brainer!

PuppyMonkey Fri 22-Sep-17 18:55:54

Don't work for me either.

Mulch Fri 22-Sep-17 18:59:08

I'm a cheapskate and buy whatevers at home bargains/bn bargains ect

AllToadsLeadToHome Fri 22-Sep-17 19:00:07

I don't use a deodorant, I use a fragrance free anti perspirant, how would it help me?

Where does the salt come from? Is it one of the natural rescources that is going to be used up in a few years once it has all been mined away?

I did buy one for someone once and it made no difference but am interested in knowing the above.

Namechangetempissue Fri 22-Sep-17 19:01:36

I've used one before and it was crap -like really crap. I shower daily but use the gym and have horses so I sweat a fair bit and it was useless.

thenettyprofessor Fri 22-Sep-17 19:02:35

just dont drop it, I did on day two and now can`t use it as too sharp

hazeyjane Fri 22-Sep-17 19:04:24

Because i got a thrush like infection in my armpits from using one (I know....very attractive....and itchy)

And

Because someone I know uses one, and they often have wet patches and smell of BO.

sonjadog Fri 22-Sep-17 19:07:47

I have a Salt of the Earth one. Got in June to try out and I am really happy with it. I find it works really well. I also reckon it will last me a couple og years.

GemmaCollinsBabes Fri 22-Sep-17 19:09:03

I used a salt "crystal" deodorant for a few years and found it worked really well but after my third DC I found it started to cause rashes under my armpits. To be fair to it, I had a lot of sudden reactions to various products after the arrival of DC3.

I haven't been brace enough to go back to it.

Saz467 Fri 22-Sep-17 19:10:27

I guess it doesn't suit everyone then. Worth a try though!

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Fri 22-Sep-17 19:12:06

I use salt of the earth and find now that conventional anti perspirants make me smelly
Weird

LittleWingSoul Fri 22-Sep-17 19:12:21

A very good friend of mine swore by this but she always had really bad BO (which she clearly couldn't smell on herself, obviously).

I love the idea of them and have bought them for myself and DD in the past but they just don't quite do the job for either of us.

SusanTheGentle Fri 22-Sep-17 19:12:39

Do they work like proper roll on though? I don't smell too much, but I don't want to be sweaty - do they stop the actual sweat or are they just for making you not have BO for a longer period of time?

Brittbugs80 Fri 22-Sep-17 19:13:53

Never heard of them. I use Neal's Yard Peppermint and Lime deodorant though as it's aluminium free and I don't smell from that, even after the gym.

What are the bars made of?

sonjadog Fri 22-Sep-17 19:13:56

I started using mine because I hate the scene of pretty much all roll on deodorants. I'm not a very sweaty person though, which may help.

ConciseandNice Fri 22-Sep-17 19:14:50

They are great. I started using them 25 years ago!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now