Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My little sister wants MAC makeup for Christmas?

(89 Posts)
emmber Fri 22-Sep-17 11:58:18

My little sister will just be nine for Christmas. I've asked her what she wants and she said MAC makeup. AIBU to say no because A) she's nine and B) it's expensive makeup for a kid to most likely wreck?

chickenowner Fri 22-Sep-17 12:01:33

YANBU

That's ridiculous!

ujerneyson Fri 22-Sep-17 12:03:22

The answer is, No. She's 9. No further discussion required.

TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries Fri 22-Sep-17 12:03:39

For a 9yo?!? How did she even hear of MAC?

Yanbu, that's ridiculous.

Laiste Fri 22-Sep-17 12:03:40

Would she be happy with a pale/neutral Mac nail polish or something? If she's allowed nail polish?

Does she understand the price or will she not be happy with one special item?

Wheresmytaco Fri 22-Sep-17 12:04:42

She will be watching makeup bloggers on YouTube and yanbu

Laiste Fri 22-Sep-17 12:05:08

See at 9 i think all of my DDs would have been thrilled with just one little something from Mac and drooled over it for the whole next year grin

emmber Fri 22-Sep-17 12:05:39

She has an expensive eyeshadow palette. She's heard of MAC via YouTube, myself, mum and our cousin (who's 18). I don't think I'd opt for a nail varnish if I'm spending £££ for a product, she wants a lipstick I think.

Mrsknackered Fri 22-Sep-17 12:06:28

I wouldn't get her MAC but I wouldn't see an issue with getting her some nail varnish, maybe a bright lipstick, some eyeshadow.
I would not be buying concealer, foundation, bronzer, etc but I think it is perfectly fine for children to play around with make up. Being an MUA these days is quite the art form and I don't think that should be suppressed but I wouldn't be buying her studio finish foundation because that is just plain wrong for a 9yo!

Mrsknackered Fri 22-Sep-17 12:08:45

I wouldn't buy MAC btw because I try to make a conscious effort to buy from cruelty free brands I used to bloody love it

TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries Fri 22-Sep-17 12:09:11

I'm more than 3 times her age, make a good salary, and I consider my two MAC lipsticks distinct indulgences.

I don't think it's terrible for her to get makeup, and obviously her parents are OK with it, but I think it's barking to buy makeup that expensive for a 9yo and I wouldn't want to be giving her a taste for expensive brand names at this age.

emmber Fri 22-Sep-17 12:10:31

I wouldn't buy her the face products (although she'd love it) until she's 16. She wants a few MAC lipsticks, an UD eyeshadow palette, god knows what else. If I do buy her MAC, it'll be a lipstick. I'm just not sure if I should even buy her that, given her age.

emmber Fri 22-Sep-17 12:11:38

@TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries she already has the taste for it sad she's taken my UD eyeshadow palette, MAC lipstick, Chanel foundation, Dior mascara etc before sad

Danceswithwarthogs Fri 22-Sep-17 12:11:47

What does your mum think?

sonjadog Fri 22-Sep-17 12:13:04

She wants to be grown up and is copying you. I'd maybe get her something small and some cheaper stuff she can play around with.

loopsdefruit Fri 22-Sep-17 12:13:57

Eh, I don't think buying MAC makeup for a child is that bad? It's good quality and not insane price for a 'non-highstreet' brand, but if it's her first foray into makeup then a good quality but cheaper 'starter set' would be better, a couple of lip products, some fun eyeshadow, a mascara and some brushes. ELF are very good and good value www.elfcosmetics.co.uk

MatildaTheCat Fri 22-Sep-17 12:14:03

She seems very young but that's just my opinion.

I'd use this as an opportunity to teach her some basic economics. Take her to a store and show her the difference in price for products which are extremely similar. For her MAC lipstick she could possible get 5 Rimmel products etc.

Also show her some product ratings and explain that a 'cool' brand is not necessarily better. If she's still adamant then use your budget to get her one small, appropriate item. At nine she's likely to be disappointed with one small lip salve, though.

The power of YouTube vloggers. shock

TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries Fri 22-Sep-17 12:14:33

She steals your designer products?

BadgersBum Fri 22-Sep-17 12:22:18

Blimey I was lucky to get a Tinkerbell lip gloss and clear/pink nail varnish set at that age! [Drifts off into an 80s nostalgic Christmas scene]

gillybeanz Fri 22-Sep-17 12:22:49

I'd keep her off youtube and buy her a toy suitable for a 9 year old. shock
Won't it be out of date before she has chance to wear it all.
Unless she intends wearing it for school.

Cornettoninja Fri 22-Sep-17 12:24:15

I don't think it's that unusual for a 9 year old to ask for a grown up item, most kids 'play' at being adult in some way. I distinctly remember coverting crockery out the Argos catalogue and a proper picnic hamper smile it just needs to be toned down to be age appropriate.

I like the idea of pointing out the economics of it though and maybe offering the choice of a few items within budget. Takes away some of the gift specialness but makes a point. Either that or start gifting money so she can save and buy with her parents supervision.

Can't help but think they've dropped a clanger tying themselves into brand importance at this age though.

Whinesalot Fri 22-Sep-17 12:26:04

An almost finished one of yours? not for xmas though

TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries Fri 22-Sep-17 12:26:22

To clarify, if she really has been in the habit of stealing or "taking without permission" your own branded makeup, I would absolutely under no circumstances be buying her more. I would be locking it up, having a serious talk with her about theft and personal property, and also talking about how items like these are luxuries that should be earned.

JessicaEccles Fri 22-Sep-17 12:29:30

I used to hate it as a child , when adults asked you what you wanted and then bought you what they thought you needed instead.

Buy her some small mac items- they do a lovely tinted lip balm. Much nicer than five grotty Rimmel lipsticks she doesn't actually want- which would be a waste of money.

specialsubject Fri 22-Sep-17 12:30:13

Tell her that it is over three months to christmas so the topic is too boring for discussion!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now