Talk

Advanced search

Dummies - am I a complete idiot?

(8 Posts)
TammySwansonTwo Fri 22-Sep-17 06:49:25

My twins had dummies in nicu and when they first came home but were never really attached to them - they were very useful while one was in hospital and being fasted but otherwise they just spat them out so I took them away when they were about 3 months old.

They had their 12 month jabs a couple of days ago and yesterday they were so distressed I didn't know what to do, I was desperate - I found a couple of dummies and handed them over and they basically haven't put them down since.

Right now they're keeping them calm and happy but I'll be super annoyed if I get them reliant on dummies now when they haven't needed them for a year.

Take them away now or let them keep them until they feel better?!

MrsJamesAspey Fri 22-Sep-17 06:56:46

Take them away now, if the jabs were s couple of days ago then they'll be over them now.

Leave the dummies at home when you go out today, and then when you come back never let them see them again.

TammySwansonTwo Fri 22-Sep-17 08:07:51

They're still quite under the weather - they were fine until they woke up from yesterday's afternoon nap and they were both screaming non-stop, really distressed crying, and they're still both very grumpy this morning. It's super difficult as I can't hold them both at the same time so when they're like this (which is rare) I try and find anything I can that will give them some comfort (within reason obviously!). I'm going to be out all afternoon at a meeting so think I may leave it for today, take them away tonight and then at least my husband will be around at the weekend so we can tackle one each grin

NeonFlower Fri 22-Sep-17 08:17:56

Would they hold a teething ring instead?

balsamicbarbara Fri 22-Sep-17 08:20:44

It's annoying when you managed to get them off them successfully so early but overall I see no problem. My DDs willingly gave theirs up just before starting nursery and it caused no problems at all and indeed seemed to provide solace and comfort in the toddler years.

TammySwansonTwo Fri 22-Sep-17 08:44:18

They don't seem interested in any of their usual toys / teething rings but the dummies seem to be working. No idea why! They have put them down for a bit while they're playing but grizzly again now - just need to get through today and deal with it, hopefully they won't notice too much!

RB68 Fri 22-Sep-17 08:51:37

II would use the dummies only at a set time e.g. nap time and once asleep pop them out and remove.

Also for going off to sleep then pop out, then in a day or so when they are not so grumpy just stop using them - cold turkey is best

But you were a bit daft in my view

TammySwansonTwo Sat 23-Sep-17 14:12:34

They've given them up with no trouble - they're really suffering with something (though could be a coincidence) but easier with two pairs of hands. It may seem daft but poorly hysterical and inconsolable twins on your own is not easily managed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now