Talk

Advanced search

to speak to the nursery tomorrow?

(15 Posts)
8isalotoflegsDayvid Thu 21-Sep-17 20:53:55

My DD is 2.5 and she goes to nursery three days a week. She absolutely loves it. Skips in in the morning quite happily, asks to go on her days off. It's a great nursery and I'd recommend them to anyone.

I heard from one of the other mums that there is some hitting going on in DDs room among the boys, but that it was being very swiftly and properly dealt with by the nursery. The mum I spoke to was quite happy with how the nursery are dealing with it.

Tonight I picked up DD and when we got home she told me that a boy in her class had hit her across the head. Her speech is very good but as she is only two, she isn't outstandingly articulate so I asked her some easy questions to try to ascertain what had happened. I said was he just playing, she said no. I said was it an accident, she said no. I asked if she told anyone, she said yes, Louise (her key worker, not her real name). I asked her if Louise spoke to the boy and she said "I don't know". I told her she did the right thing telling Louise and me, and that that's exactly what to do if it happens again.

She was neither up nor down about it, btw. She didn't seem upset at all. Just matter-of-fact.

I'm not sure if I need to do anything. I feel like if this happened then it should have been mentioned at pickup - should it? Or is this just something toddlers do and it's not a big deal? If I go in tomorrow and (nicely) ask if this actually happened, will I be that parent? I'm really not sure!

sadiemm2 Thu 21-Sep-17 20:58:42

I'm a reception teacher, so not quite the same, but i would want to Know. We can't see everything, so reports from home are useful. I would mention it... But perhaps I was that parent too smile

QuackDuckQuack Thu 21-Sep-17 21:02:10

I'd mention it. But don't assume that what your DD said did actually happen. It might have done, but both of my DDs have claimed to have been pushed at nursery. Each of them said this about a boy with a bit of a reputation for pushing (different boys, 3 years apart). In DD1's case the boy wasn't even in nursery that day. In DD2's case he wasn't in the room. Sadly some children get a reputation amongst their peers and children do get a bit confused.

8isalotoflegsDayvid Thu 21-Sep-17 21:04:47

quack that makes sense. She had been talking in the car about the boys hitting and crying.

I absolutely accept there's a chance this didn't happen (DH thinks this is the case) but I think maybe I should check?

8isalotoflegsDayvid Fri 22-Sep-17 06:36:54

Shameless bump

Gizlotsmum Fri 22-Sep-17 06:39:51

No harm in checking. Just mention that dd said she was hit across the head yesterday, do they know what happened?

Wunderkind77 Fri 22-Sep-17 06:42:59

Kids will hit each other sometimes. Unless it's a serious problem, I'd forget about it and move on.

LindyHemming Fri 22-Sep-17 06:43:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coffeekittens Fri 22-Sep-17 06:44:01

Just mention it. Usually there'd be an incident form for you to sign if this is the case.

If there is a child who is a 'hitter' children will often mistake even their play for them being 'hit' if the child is accidentally knocked etc.

You won't be that parent though, no.

Mintylizzy9 Fri 22-Sep-17 06:47:58

I picked up my son yesterday with a red bump on his head that looked fresh, myself and nursery nurse asked oh what happened to your head, he said Jake hit me....Jake wasn't even in nursery!

I've mentioned similar in the last and put it along the lines of DS has mentioned x, no idea if it's true but thought I'd mention it just in case.

penstemon Fri 22-Sep-17 06:49:35

I think I'd mention it just to check they are aware of the incident but don't make a fuss. A lot of DC will have a hitting/biting/pinching phase around that age (and older) and no doubt nursery have experienced it loads of times before. It may well have happened exactly as your DD said ... but it may not have done. Even as adults, there will be two sides to every story and that is particularly true with toddlers where you often have to ask leading questions to find out what went on. If it did happen, it is very likely that the boy would have been dealt with appropriately but your DD wouldn't have known about it as she would have been distracted & sent off to play with someone else.

8isalotoflegsDayvid Fri 22-Sep-17 07:01:28

I am inclined to be,over her, Euphemia but I do accept that two year olds get confused about facts, that's all. She's been talking about hitting a lot recently, probably because she's seeing what has been going on at nursery.

I have no intention of making a fuss at all, I'll just mention it and see what they say.

8isalotoflegsDayvid Fri 22-Sep-17 07:04:11

Believe her

NerdyBird Fri 22-Sep-17 11:36:08

My dd has recently mentioned a couple of incidents at nursery. I raised it by telling them that she'd mentioned this at home and I thought it would be best to let them know. From what I can gather one of the children is having an issue with hitting/violence (could hear the mum talking about it at drop off) and it's being addressed.

I would definitely mention it. It could have been accidental during play or something rather than deliberate but it's better that they know.

thethoughtfox Fri 22-Sep-17 14:23:57

Agree with the other posters. Little ones often think any touch is hitting. My little one thought hitting was any touch she didn't like like putting her coat on! They often thinks accidental bumping is hitting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now