Talk

Advanced search

Good jobs for introverts

(65 Posts)
Pariswhenitdrizzles Thu 21-Sep-17 13:52:01

Any ideas? (Posting for traffic blush)

harlandgoddard Thu 21-Sep-17 13:55:27

Fellow introvert here, I haven't got the answer unfortunately just following.

So far all I've come up with is any job that allows you to work from home as much as possible.

vivaVasLagas Thu 21-Sep-17 13:58:35

Coder.

A good bet as far as career growth goes. Self taught or online courses. Rarely have to talk to anyone.

PollyFlint Thu 21-Sep-17 14:02:16

"Introvert" is way too broad a classification.

For example, you can a shy/quiet introvert or a loud/confident introvert. Some introverts are creative and ideas-driven, others are meticulous and process-driven. Some introverts like routine, some like no two days to be the same. Some like to set their own agenda and others like to be led. Some like to be active, some like to be sedentary. Some are highly academic with a billion qualifications, some don't have a single qualification to their name and would prefer to work with their hands.

I work in a PR and comms team for a large organisation, which people assume must be a really extroverted profession. But no, about three-quarters of our team are actually introverts. Doesn't stop us doing our jobs. My DP was a newspaper reporter on a daily paper for years and now manages a PR team - and he's an introvert too.

Don't think about it in terms of introvert/extrovert, basically. Think about it in terms of you and what you want overall (or whoever you're asking for).

Redadmiralflyer Thu 21-Sep-17 21:21:18

Cleaner. Get to work on your own tasks without much interaction from people

Dog walker or pet service business. Grooming etc

Delivery driver. Just drop off and pick up what you need to with only a bit of small talk in between

Sienna333 Thu 21-Sep-17 21:22:57

1. A nanny
2. Working in a library

NapQueen Thu 21-Sep-17 21:23:45

Im an introvert and work in admin/financial admin. I chat to the odd person but spend a lot of time on emails, paying invoices, very very little in the way of phone calls.

Petalbird Thu 21-Sep-17 21:24:13

School lab tech. Lots of holidays to recover and not much general talking (unless your room doubles as a tea room)

frisbeefreedom Thu 21-Sep-17 21:25:38

I agree with Polly - it depends on other parts of your personality. I'm an introvert, that impacts on me a lot less than the fact that I'm a bit shy and awkward!

I work in the civil service on policy. It's great for some of the classic introvert things - I can spend most of my day working on things by myself, I get time to consider options rather than having to bounce from one thing to the next. I do a lot of interaction with others, but it's almost entirely by email which suits me down to the ground. But I have had to learn to participate actively in big meetings and to do presentations - some introverts would find that impossible.

SingingMySong Thu 21-Sep-17 21:37:08

I agree on cleaning actually, there's a high level of autonomy and you're often working by yourself.

However although I'm strongly introverted, I think work is important for me partly because it forces me to engage with people. I love my own company and I never get cabin fever, but I think I need to get out there and keep talking to people so I don't retreat too far into myself and have the real world start to look too intimidating.

biscuitbadger Thu 21-Sep-17 21:54:31

Gardener

MoragG Thu 21-Sep-17 22:02:59

Please do not suggest working in a library. This is a job that often involves working with the public in a customer facing role, and requires good communication skills.

Prictoriafeckam Thu 21-Sep-17 22:03:45

Embalmer?

2014newme Thu 21-Sep-17 22:07:12

@MoragG Plenty of introverts have great communication skills! I'm an introvert and HR Director.

MoragG Thu 21-Sep-17 22:10:29

Yes, but it kind of suggests that the only people who work in libraries are shy, quiet people - definitely not what the profession needs.

NapQueen Thu 21-Sep-17 22:10:49

Introverts can have great communication skills! They just love their own company.

Hebenon Thu 21-Sep-17 22:13:02

Anything where they let you work remotely for me. I hate being in an office environment.

MoragG Thu 21-Sep-17 22:13:26

Loving your own company is not a good attribute if you want to work in a library in the 21st century.

2014newme Thu 21-Sep-17 22:13:27

Funnily enough I also worked in a librry. I do this it's a good place for an introvert actually

MoragG Thu 21-Sep-17 22:16:22

Hmm - well, if you put that on your CV if you applied for a job in an academic library you'd be unlikely to get an interview.

user997799779977 Thu 21-Sep-17 22:19:52

I know people would say coder, but that's so untrue. I manage a team of coders and communication is vital. You deal with a complex system, while you don't talk to socialize you need to talk to understand the problem, come up with solutions together, and to pass on information about your code so the next person can maintain it. There's tons of communication going on, but the good news is you don't have to be friendly. You just have to be factual when you communicate.

DontMakeMeShushYou Thu 21-Sep-17 22:47:45

Working in a library

Just knew people would suggest this.

Obviously all libraries are different but generally speaking, only good if you're the sort of introvert who is happy to run information skills and training courses, happy to be constantly interrupted with all sorts of questions and enquiries, happy to attend endless rounds of meetings with senior managers in your parent organization who might well want to cut the service, happy to make small-talk with people from all walks of life, happy to be at everyone else's beck and call all day.

I'm an introvert and enjoy my career, but if you think it's a job where you'll be able to spend quiet time alone, think again. And if you're shy and retiring you might well struggle.

blueshoes Thu 21-Sep-17 23:17:19

I rank very highly on introversion in every personality test I have taken. I work in compliance and one of my strengths is project and change management, both of which requires me to work with different people and get them to do things they do not want to do.

I like my down time at the end of the day, but I don't think introversion necessarily affects my job. Introversion affects my parenting far more, in that I get exhausted by my children who are full on. But work, not really.

5foot5 Fri 22-Sep-17 00:38:42

*Coder.

A good bet as far as career growth goes. Self taught or online courses. Rarely have to talk to anyone.*

Only up to a certain point.

If you are happy for someone else to work out all the requirements, do the difficult thinking and give you a detailed spec then fair enough.
But to progress it helps if you can talk to people about what they need and be able to work out how you can help them . Then the coding is usually the easy bit

BlackeyedSusan Fri 22-Sep-17 06:49:47

not working in a library. they have to be proactive and speak to lots of people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now