Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to ask the best way to show support to harassed fellow mums

(12 Posts)
MummaTwinkleToes Wed 20-Sep-17 22:08:12

In supermarket today with my parents and 2 DS aged 3 and 4months. A Mum was shopping with similar aged children. Older child having huge tantrum and screaming the place down. Poor Mum looked very upset and embarrassed trying to calm toddler and get out asap. Lots of people tutting and making unhelpful judgy comments. Really wanted to show support but didn't want to seem patronising (we've all had this haven't we?!) and was packing parents shopping at time. How or what could I have done other than smiled in what was hopefully seen as 'I feel your pain' way?

Aquamarine1029 Wed 20-Sep-17 22:11:20

Give an understanding smile but keep out of it. Do not engage with irate strangers.

Alanna1 Wed 20-Sep-17 22:11:41

I have tried smiling and saying to the parent "can I help you at all"?

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Wed 20-Sep-17 22:13:38

Peace sign?

MulhuddartDrive Wed 20-Sep-17 22:20:39

Sympathetic smile and possibly, "I feel your pain".

MummaTwinkleToes Wed 20-Sep-17 22:21:57

Laughing at peace sign... knowing me being sleep deprived I would accidentally give the ride version grin

MummaTwinkleToes Wed 20-Sep-17 22:22:19

Rude not ride

Newoneforthis Wed 20-Sep-17 22:28:28

Sympathetic 'I've been there too' smile. Actually quietly whisper this to the mum if appropriate (I've previously said, 'makes a change that it's not my DS' in a light hearted way which seemed to do the trick).

amousehaseatenmypaddlingpool Wed 20-Sep-17 22:46:15

I'd second the 'ooh, that's usually me!' with a smile.

Because it is usually me and I appreciate it when other people say the same thing.

MummaTwinkleToes Wed 20-Sep-17 23:12:09

I have said 'it's usually mine' in the past but was reluctant this time as last time I said it the woman looked like she was going to kill me!

The nicest thing someone has done for me was when DS1 had just started to walk and I was trying to stop him making a break for freedom whilst packing food shopping and failing. Lady behind me scooped him up and put him in her trolley whilst I packed. Just want to 'share the love' oh god how soppy blush

RunningOutOfCharge Wed 20-Sep-17 23:39:15

Lots of people tutting and making comments? Really?

MummaTwinkleToes Thu 21-Sep-17 05:47:02

Yep including my dad unfortunately but he wears a hearing aide which really echoes with loud noise. Little girl was very loud.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: