Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask if I'm getting turned down for jobs because I've not worked for 9 years?

(79 Posts)
UptownGirl40 Wed 20-Sep-17 18:20:18

Desperately trying to find a pt job with no luck.

I'm not even getting interviews, just thanks but no thanks or nothing at all!

I've been a SAHM for 9yrs so do you think that's the reason?

Do you think voluntary work would give me a foot back in the door?

Starting to feel really unemployable?!!

Graphista Wed 20-Sep-17 18:21:32

Place marking

Having same problem. Posted own thread but no replies.

Fekko Wed 20-Sep-17 18:23:03

I went back in after a 7 year break. Now I'm an old bag and not getting interviews for things I did 20 years ago and wondering if I'm too old!

Hang on there!

MothratheMighty Wed 20-Sep-17 18:23:26

What's your skill set, and is it up to date? Are you applying for mw jobs against teenagers who are cheaper? Voluntary work is often a good start, as are temporary jobs.

EamonnWright Wed 20-Sep-17 18:24:01

The Job market isn't great and likely won't get much better.

Registered to all local agencies?

Pad the CV out anyway, fuck it.

ExCoffeeAddict Wed 20-Sep-17 18:24:12

It very well may be that you have no out of home work experience.
I would seriously suggest proving how committed you are by volunteering and also chatting to some recruitment consultants.
Could you attend a college course to make you more employable and show your commitment?
9 years is a long time to be out of the game what kind of jobs are you applying for? Your interview technique will also need to be polished so that when you are called to interview your ready...You could ask a recruitment consultant about this or do you have any friends or family in a role that requires interviewing if they can do a mock one with you and give you pointers?
Good luck, it's tough to break in after a gap but certainly not impossible.

CheeseAtFourpence Wed 20-Sep-17 18:24:58

It depends on what jobs you're looking at, but if I'm recruiting I look for recent relevant experience relating to the role. So for example use of the latest IT packages for all but manual roles; customer service and team working for every job I recruit to in my organisation. However, how and where you get this experience is less important so would definitely take into consideration experience gained within a voluntary role.

Good luck - I can imagine it's difficult getting your foot in the door. It's competitive out there - I'm getting on average 40 applications for a job.

CalmanOnSpeeddial Wed 20-Sep-17 18:27:17

It depends on the nature of your job, but if I were hiring I'd normally pick someone who was doing the job up until very recently over someone who hasn't done it for nearly a decade. Your skills and knowledge are likely to be rusty or outdated compared to your competitors who've remained active.

There are presumably some lines of work where this doesn't apply but I can't think of any offhand. At the very least so many jobs have an administrative/compliance element and the forms and terminology change regularly m. Likewise tech.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear. If you can be more specific about your field I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

ExCoffeeAddict Wed 20-Sep-17 18:28:13

Edit ** I meant to say no out of home work experience for nearly a decade

Also are you applying for jobs like what you did before children? Or is it a new field? Like I've said in my post above training is a good idea because things change so much (in most indisries) in 9 years.

Mushroomburger17 Wed 20-Sep-17 18:28:47

Can you get someone to be a bit creative for You? Say you were volunteering for them etc on a casual basis, give you a ref etc. Also try and get back in via agencies.

Nancy91 Wed 20-Sep-17 18:29:17

What type of industry are you looking to get into?

Someoneasdumbasthis Wed 20-Sep-17 18:29:39

What are your skills and where are you based?

MiniAlphaBravo Wed 20-Sep-17 18:30:25

Yes that's why.

Voluntary work would help if relevant or if you can claim you are gaining skills you would appear to lack. What kinds of jobs are you looking for?

LostInShoebiz Wed 20-Sep-17 18:31:20

In all likelihood, yes. It's not fair and it's not right but times are hard and with very little to spare, businesses are more likely to take a 'safe bet' on a candidate with recent experience rather than a gamble on someone without.

Gorgosparta Wed 20-Sep-17 18:33:22

Yes, it will be at least contributing.

Has anyone looked over your CV? How is that?

LostInShoebiz Wed 20-Sep-17 18:34:31

Any chance you could get some experience in the voluntary sector? Do admin for a group for free for a few months so you've got something recent?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 20-Sep-17 18:35:57

I've experienced exactly the same OP. For office/admin work anyway.

After 2 years of looking I have started a new job as a Health Care Assistant. I have done care work before but had really wanted to get back to office/admin due to a back injury.

UptownGirl40 Wed 20-Sep-17 18:36:01

Thanks for the advice.

I used to be airline cabin crew before so looking for any customer service industry work.

I have had my cv professionaly done, but for the gap in employment it just says "taken time out to raise a family", is that any good?

Are temp agencies just for office based staff because I have no experience there.

MothratheMighty Wed 20-Sep-17 18:37:53

It's also that young people without children are often seen as more flexible in their work commitments. DD works a lot in the school holidays, is computer literate, has experience over the last few years and is willing to study and learn out of work hours. So if you and she went for a job...

Gorgosparta Wed 20-Sep-17 18:39:23

What sort of customer services?

Every contact centre i have worked in would give you an interview if you had a good CV and one gap as a sahp.

EamonnWright Wed 20-Sep-17 18:40:58

Are temp agencies just for office based staff because I have no experience there

Not at all, agencies cover all fields.

MothratheMighty Wed 20-Sep-17 18:43:44

Care work are always short-staffed round here.

skyzumarubble Wed 20-Sep-17 18:44:05

I think you're problem is going to be that cabin crew is very specific and there will be others going for the roles you are without the gap and more relevant experience.

What sort of things have you been applying for?

UptownGirl40 Wed 20-Sep-17 18:45:26

what sort of customer services

Retail, travel agents, postal worker. They are the type of jobs I have applied for.

Emily7708 Wed 20-Sep-17 18:46:30

It's mainly for London jobs but if you look at sites like secsinthecity and totallylegal and type "ex cabin crew" as a search, there are quite a few corporate firms looking for ex cabin crew in reception and meet and greet roles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now