Talk

Advanced search

To put wine and chocolate in the food bank?

(414 Posts)
Nunyabusiness Wed 20-Sep-17 09:19:02

Picked up a miniature white wine and a 5 pack of twirls, husband was aghast. My view is that people who are struggling to feed their families wouldn't have funds for such treats.

(I did also put tinned fruit and veg in, by the way!)

SpottedGingham Wed 20-Sep-17 09:20:19

I suspect that the food banks won't give people alcohol.

Crumbs1 Wed 20-Sep-17 09:21:25

They'll use the chocolate but probably not the wine - but kind idea.

Oogle Wed 20-Sep-17 09:21:49

I wouldn't put alcohol in to be honest but I always put chocolate and biscuits in, as well as toiletries.

Cameblackbenzleftwhite1 Wed 20-Sep-17 09:21:52

I think it's a fab idea.

I always try to give some luxury's to the food bank, if I like them then I'm sure the people that receive them do.

Some people taking the donations do look at you funny if you give anything other than the basic stuff. But I wouldn't eat the basic stuff so won't buy it for others.

CantChoose Wed 20-Sep-17 09:21:58

spotted is right about the alcohol. But chocolate is fine. I usually or a few 'treats' in. And always do advent calendars and Easter eggs.

EssentialHummus Wed 20-Sep-17 09:23:01

What ^they said. I regularly put in bogof chocs, everyone needs a little treat when times are tough.

EngagedWithALeaf Wed 20-Sep-17 09:23:16

Ive worked at a food bank - as everyone else has said, big yes to treats and chocolate etc, but no alcohol is allowed.

StealthPolarBear Wed 20-Sep-17 09:26:00

I usually put something like chocolate in too.

Ollivander84 Wed 20-Sep-17 09:30:26

I wouldn't put alcohol in but I have done
Biscuits
Cake bars
Chocolate
Cordial (mini squeeze ones)
Fruit juice (long life ones)
Microwave steam puddings + custard
Haribo and other sweets
Kids bath/shower/toothpaste

Cameblackbenzleftwhite1 Wed 20-Sep-17 09:30:34

That's a shame no wine, if I was ever to end up at a food bank that would really help.

I've worked in various charities and it is usually pretty obvious who is an alcoholic, so it's a shame the food bank staff can't use some discretion.

Crunchymum Wed 20-Sep-17 09:30:57

I always put in a few quid worth of chocolate / biscuits (as well as the usual staples)

Am skint myself but make sure I add a few bits to the weekly shop and then bung them in when I have a bag full.

margaritasbythesea Wed 20-Sep-17 09:30:58

I have put in chocolate in the past but apparently what they are really crying out for is things like nappies, tampax, soap and toilet paper so I usually do those.

I wouldn´t put in a miniature wine because I don´t think they would give it out but if I did I would put in a bottle.

GrannyHeadology Wed 20-Sep-17 09:33:09

Ours don't accept alcohol but I always put treats like chocolate and biscuits in. Just because someone has found themselves in crap situation it shouldn't mean that they can't even have a treat

AdoraBell Wed 20-Sep-17 09:33:25

Chocolate is perfect, as you say most people relying on food banks won't be buying themselves such treats.

I wouldn't put booze in though as I assume, possibly wrongly, that food banks won't give out booze to people who need food.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 20-Sep-17 09:38:57

Agreed with everyone else - treats are great, but no booze is usually allowed. Selection boxes at christmas are good to put in, because they can be wrapped up by the recipient for their kids. (My mum used to do these for us as kids, made you feel like you'd got an extra present.)

When I'm putting in toiletries I try and put in something that I'd be pleased to receive as a treat myself. When you are skint you get used to the massive basic bottles of industrial paint-stripper shampoo and shower gel which are all you can afford, so I look out for nicer things on special - eg Waitrose had good shower gels on special for £1, which looked really nice as well.

Lanaorana2 Wed 20-Sep-17 09:43:28

Do it. Nice stuff lifts the soul, puritanical stuff tastes and feels like a judgmental punishment.

Ifitquackslikeaduck Wed 20-Sep-17 09:45:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Witsender Wed 20-Sep-17 09:47:51

Toiletries always welcome, most just don't ask for them as they worry about diluting the food message.

Luxuries always welcome too, but Trussell Trust don't take alcohol. Quite often a volunteer will make a donation and buy any that comes in in ours, or it gets put to the side for a raffle prize or similar.

NameChangeFamousFolk Wed 20-Sep-17 09:48:43

We always buy up two three chocolate advent calendars and selection packs with each online shop through Nov/Dec to put in the Foodbank box for kids at Christmas. I wouldn't do booze though.

millifiori Wed 20-Sep-17 09:51:15

Our food bank doesn't hand out alcohol on the rare occasions it's given. But we're always very happy to get donations of sweets and treats.

millifiori Wed 20-Sep-17 09:52:17

The other things we always need are cleaning products: washing powder, washing up liquid etc. It's hard for people to keep their homes and clothes clean if they are totally broke.

EssentialHummus Wed 20-Sep-17 09:53:04

Two other things I always like to mention on these threads:

Imagine your recipient has only a kettle and/or microwave / single ring hob to use. Watch out for things like instant pasta packets (great) that need milk/butter added (may not have). That's why things like tinned stews etc tend to be a goer.

If you're an Ocado shopper they have a "You Give we Give" program, you can add £2/5/10 to your order and they'll match it, and get the food banks what they actually need. It's under the Newsagent section, or search "You Give we Give".

KatherinaMinola Wed 20-Sep-17 09:53:13

We always buy up two three chocolate advent calendars

That's a lovely idea that would never have occurred to me.

Tigerlovingall Wed 20-Sep-17 09:54:44

So, genuine question here, if someone puts cans/little bottles in the food bank collection boxes and it doesn't get allocated - what happens to it, please?

DeleteOrDecay Wed 20-Sep-17 09:54:53

YANBU, I always put a little treat or two in the food bank box when making a donation, chocolate, biscuits etc. Like others have said just because times are tough doesn't mean they can't have a little something to lift their spirits a little. The wine is a nice idea but I don't think many food banks would give it out unfortunately.

LentilBaby Wed 20-Sep-17 09:56:07

Really useful thread. I wasn't aware I could give toiletries and I have quite a few things at home going spare. 👍🏼

Tigerlovingall Wed 20-Sep-17 09:57:14

Sorry, my question was answered upthread while I was one-finger typing. So, raffles then and the money allocated? Ok.

SandyDenny Wed 20-Sep-17 09:58:33

I know my local food bank has lots of all of the basics to everyone can have similar parcels but how do they allocate the treats if they don't have enough to go round?

If they have 5 advent calendars but 10 familes with young children what would they do?

ghostyslovesheets Wed 20-Sep-17 09:59:18

Yes I put advent calendars in every week up to Dec and I put treat food in as well as essentials

KanyeWesticle Wed 20-Sep-17 09:59:30

Chocolates are lovely.

No to wine. Whilst it's a lovoely luxury on top of a good meal, if there isn't the food supplies too - wine alone won't fill the hole. So we can't give it out, but you can get a lot of food for the price of a bottle of wine!

Nunyabusiness Wed 20-Sep-17 09:59:52

Fair point about the alcohol, I hadn't really thought about that. Oh well, I'll just keep it for myself smilewhat a shame lol

I do put advent calendars and Easter eggs in as well, but it had never occurred to me to put toiletries in so thanks for the pointers all!

Migraleve Wed 20-Sep-17 10:02:13

I've worked in various charities and it is usually pretty obvious who is an alcoholic,

Oh dear.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 20-Sep-17 10:03:48

SandyDenny some food banks do run short of even the basics - I presume treats are allocated like everything else, as people come in until they run out.

ppeatfruit Wed 20-Sep-17 10:03:59

Another genuine question here. Is there sometimes a kitchen where the volunteers can make things like rice pudding? I was going to give a pack of rice but my dsis sneered and said they won't give that to anyone. .

I give other stuff too, I gave 5 deodorants recently that were being asked for. What about crisps ?

Hayesking Wed 20-Sep-17 10:04:13

my food bank definitely doesn't accept alcohol. We give it as charity gifts to a local village who raffle it. Its annoying actually, the sign clearly says no alcohol and that £5 could be much better spent.

EssentialHummus Wed 20-Sep-17 10:05:10

So, genuine question here, if someone puts cans/little bottles in the food bank collection boxes and it doesn't get allocated - what happens to it, please?

I read on here - no first-hand experience, so can't verify - that volunteers can also buy stuff from the food bank (unpopular/odd/un-give-away-able items), and then the money from that goes to the fund to buy things that are needed. Always struck me as very sensible, though I imagine there are volunteers' families out there dutifully eating lots of odd marmalades or whatever.

cinnamontoast Wed 20-Sep-17 10:05:24

I volunteer in a food bank. Chocolate, definitely - it's great when we can give some to families. Alcohol, no. It simply not something we could hand out responsibly.

I'd second the request for toiletries though. And cleaning products and cat and dog food.

TitsalinaBumSqoosh Wed 20-Sep-17 10:06:10

I often put in big cakes, biscuits and chocolates/sweets along with whatever's on their list.
I will put things like decent hot chocolate as well, I try to think of what makes me feel a bit better when things are hard for whatever reason and add it in hope that it brings someone else the same comfort.

cinnamontoast Wed 20-Sep-17 10:06:18

The most unusual donation we ever got was a giant Fortnum and Mason fruit cake in a beautiful tin!

Hayesking Wed 20-Sep-17 10:07:13

Please don't give treats. I know it seems like a lovely idea but we struggle to even get the basics. Deodorant and sanpro is good. Rice is fine but the packs you can microwave are best. It probably varies a bit from area to area. Cereal is always welcome if you really want to give something treaty.

womaninatightspot Wed 20-Sep-17 10:09:07

I always put kids cereal and full fat uht milk in. I suspect if your on hard times it's nice to be able to reach for something familiar in the morning to feed the kids. It's my quiet way of saying bugger off to the random politician who said you could make porridge for 3p so there was no excuse for being hungry or some such nonsense.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 20-Sep-17 10:09:08

I try to think of what makes me feel a bit better when things are hard for whatever reason and add it in hope that it brings someone else the same comfort.

This. I put in some of those instant cappuccinos when they were on special - they are a ridiculous way of making coffee, but it means you can have a nice milky coffee even when you don't have any milk.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 20-Sep-17 10:10:10

Hayesking even when you are also donating basics? Really?

existentialmoment Wed 20-Sep-17 10:10:16

I never put in pasta/rice/tins etc as everybody does that. I put in things like cleaning sprays/bleach/sponges/washing powder
/baby wipes and deodarants etc, most people don't think of that stuff.

Ttbb Wed 20-Sep-17 10:10:16

I suspect that people who can't afford to feed their families would prefer an equivalent value's worth of baked beans.

ppeatfruit Wed 20-Sep-17 10:10:42

So you don't cook anything where you are Hayesking ? Thanks for the info btw.

TopBitchoftheWitches Wed 20-Sep-17 10:10:52

Advent calendars is a great idea !

I will definitely be doing that.

otterlynutty Wed 20-Sep-17 10:11:10

I'm glad this has been brought up, I was going to start a thread about what to put in & this has given me some good ideas - especially about putting advent calendars in, I wouldn't have thought of that.

DeleteOrDecay Wed 20-Sep-17 10:13:12

I usually put maybe one packet of biscuits in with a bag full of essentials and toiletries. Surely that's ok?

EssentialHummus Wed 20-Sep-17 10:13:14

There's also an element of familiarity to treats - yes you can feed the neighbourhood on 2p of porridge but if your DC are already feeling the effects of going without "normal" foods then a box of Coco Pops/Twix bar can make a difference (imo anyway, as I said I don't work in a FB).

LakieLady Wed 20-Sep-17 10:13:36

Two of our local food banks always welcome formula milk for people who can't BF. Toiletries, sanpro and non-food essentials (bog rolls, nappies, washing up liquid and washing powder) are also often in short supply.

We sometimes get gifts of alcohol or fancy chocolates from grateful clients. We raffle them, and use the money to buy a gift card for a local supermarket, and give that to the food banks so they can buy what they need.

SealSong Wed 20-Sep-17 10:14:27

Don't forget san pro. Hardly a luxury item granted, but many women and girls end up going without san pro when they are trying to make the pennies last.

IHateUncleJamie Wed 20-Sep-17 10:16:29

Sealsong sanpro and loo roll is usually what I put in now. 👍 Chocolate is a nice idea too, OP

MrsMHasIt Wed 20-Sep-17 10:17:05

It doesn't give the same warm fuzzy feeling you might get from buying 'things' and imagining them being consumed, but what my food bank really appreciates is a cheque (big or small). They can buy what they are short on from the wholesale, or buy fresh meat/veg vouchers from local shops to go along with the parcel.

WomblingThree Wed 20-Sep-17 10:19:53

ArcheryAnnie the point is that the money you spent on chocolate and biscuits would be better spent on more basics. When you give to a food bank, you aren't supplying a days worth of stuff to one family, you are giving a meal's worth of stuff to lots of families. If you give, say, beans, cereal, micro rice and chocolate, that means for that bar of chocolate someone is missing out on something that could have made a meal.

It's well intentioned, but faintly patronising that "these people" need treats. No, what they need is nourishing meals so that the kids can concentrate at school or the adults can work without being starving all day or coming home to an empty cupboard.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 20-Sep-17 10:19:53

MrsMHasIt I'd agree with that, but I also know that it's easy to buy something for a couple of quid in a usual shop and donate it, whereas finding the chequebook, writing a cheque for £2.50, finding where to send it, etc - just is a pain. People - including me - do what's easy, rather than what's possibly most efficient. It's human.

Butterymuffin Wed 20-Sep-17 10:20:40

At Easter and Christmas I usually find we have more chocolate, biscuits etc than we can eat so take excess to the food bank. I figure even after the specific day kids will eat chocolate, mince pies. However I hadn't thought of chocolate advent calendars before! Will do this in November now.

I try and do this alongside more everyday stuff eg spaghetti hoops, tins of rice pudding.

Teabags too - not an essential but a hot cuppa makes you feel better and a bit fuller. I look out for whatever brand's on special offer.

WomblingThree Wed 20-Sep-17 10:22:09

Also, people who are putting in cleaning stuff? Honestly, if you were hungry, would you really want to be handed a bottle of Mister Muscle?

When people have no food, the last thing on their mind is cleaning their house/room/shed/tent/doorway.

Oogle Wed 20-Sep-17 10:22:56

I've never thought about putting cleaning products in. I will do that next time. At the moment I put in a selection from the following:

Men's deodorant
Women's deodorant
San-pro
Toothpaste
Toothbrushes
Shaving foam
Disposable razors
Flannels
Shower gel
Face wash
Shampoo
Conditioner
Pasta
Pasta sauce
Microwave rice
Baked beans
Cereal
Long-life milk
Multipacks of crisps
Biscuits
Tinned veg
Tinned meatballs
Tinned fish
Tinned meat
Squash
Tea bags
Coffee
Sugar

I go to Tesco a few times a week so just add one or two items at a time.

Last year they ran a "reverse advent calendar" where you put one item in a box from 1-23 December and delivered it to the food bank on 23rd. I'm going to do that this year but in November as well as December.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 20-Sep-17 10:23:16

Wombling I've been a recipient of charity, and I can assure you that being given something that someone thought I might like, rather than just what someone thought I might need, makes you feel like a real person and not just a charity case. Being treated as a whole person who has wants as well as needs, rather than as a machine to be filled with protein and carbs in order to function, is really important.

Hayesking Wed 20-Sep-17 10:23:19

Two of our local food banks always welcome formula milk for people who can't BF

We are not allowed to accept formula.

Hayesking Wed 20-Sep-17 10:23:51

oogles list is brilliant.

paxillin Wed 20-Sep-17 10:25:10

Ever since I read an account of somebody using a food bank who had washed her hair, clothes and children with washing up liquid I put shampoo and washing powder in.

WomblingThree Wed 20-Sep-17 10:26:47

It's not treating people like a machine FFS. It's FEEDING them and their children. I ask again - when your child hasn't had a decent meal for a week, ask them if they would rather have tinned spaghetti or razors?! Jesus!

catiinbo0ts Wed 20-Sep-17 10:28:44

How can I find out my local place to donate? Is there a website?

rightsofwomen Wed 20-Sep-17 10:29:03

The best thing would be to contact your local food bank and ask them what they are short of. It varies hugely from week to week.

We had a bit of a crisis with male toiletries at one point.
The following week it was something basic like tea bags (a case of everyone thinking everyone else was donating the basics I imagine).

Have a look at the Trussell Trust website for other ideas of how to help.

You can also help by donating to Acts 435

Sixgeese Wed 20-Sep-17 10:30:03

I help at a food bank too, we give out chocolate but can't give out alcohol or anything containing alcohol.

In answer to your questions,if we get something in which we can't give out sometimes one of the volunteers takes it and replaces it with something of equal value that we can use. I currently have a 3kg bag of pasta that was donated sitting in my kitchen which is too big for one of the food parcels (it's bigger than I would buy for our own use too) and next week I will be taking down lots of toilet rolls, which we are short of, to replace it. One of the volunteers also took some rusty cans of pulses that had been donated, as we can't give out rusty cans she will replace with new ones.

If we don't get enough Easter eggs or Christmas chocolate it is often we give it to children first and if still not enough first people in to pick up get it.

We have started looking for posh chocolates, biscuit etc in the donated items to put to one side so every household can get a Christmas parcel in December.

SunSeptember Wed 20-Sep-17 10:30:24

oh my goodness yes! what a shame if they cant pass alchol on!

i saw programe on it and they give out the chocs etc to people who have had celebrations/birthdays etc....lovely idea!

SunSeptember Wed 20-Sep-17 10:31:05

Being treated as a whole person who has wants as well as needs, rather than as a machine to be filled with protein and carbs in order to function, is really important

YY!!

MrsMHasIt Wed 20-Sep-17 10:31:29

WomblingThree why can you have both. Our food bank parcels include cleaning supplies and toiletries... as well as food of course.

I genuinely don't think you mean to, but I think you are confusing staying alive with a basic standard of living.

Butterymuffin Wed 20-Sep-17 10:31:32

There are plenty of lists out there too for people who want guidance about what to get. It's not as if you just have to guess.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 20-Sep-17 10:31:33

Wombling have you been a recipient of charity yourself? Maybe we react to it differently, but I try to act towards others the way I liked to be treated myself - and that includes donating non-essentials like coffee, biscuits, etc. Is coffee nutritious? No. Does having a treat like a good cup of coffee and a biscuit help you get through a day when you are completely on your uppers and everything else seems shit? Yes. A moment of normality in a shitty day can make all the difference.

MrsMHasIt Wed 20-Sep-17 10:32:03

Can't. blush Why can't you have both.

differentnameforthis Wed 20-Sep-17 10:32:21

Wine is a definite no no! If you are that desperate for food, you don't want to waste a food item for wine that only adults can benefit from.

Hayesking Wed 20-Sep-17 10:32:38

Being treated as a whole person who has wants as well as needs, rather than as a machine to be filled with protein and carbs in order to function, is really important.

human beings are machines though. We do need to eat! Please just give the food that the food bank asks for!

Oogle Wed 20-Sep-17 10:32:41

It's really sad that you can't accept formula Hayesking. I haven't actually checked with our food bank but I couldn't BF so would have really struggled if I couldn't afford to buy it. If they will accept then I'll put some in.

This has also reminded me to buy a few Ellas kitchen pouches, I used to but now my son has grown up I don't go down that aisle anymore.

Hayesking Wed 20-Sep-17 10:33:29

I don't think any food bank accepts formula due to guidelines from UNICEF.

JonSnowsWife Wed 20-Sep-17 10:33:44

Hi OP. I used to volunteer at a Foodbank. The chocolate would be accepted but not the wine I'm afraid.

It might be different with different foodbanks though.

ptumbi Wed 20-Sep-17 10:33:52

At the risk of being flamed - I never donate to food banks. We live in one of the richest countries in the world, and have a world-reknown benefits system. Why do we need food banks? What did people do before them?

My dp bought a house on the edge of a council estate, and knows many neighbours on benefits. Some of them (not all, obvs) live in 3-bed houses as singletons, renting out the other bedrooms. They work cash-in-hand, AND claim every benefit penny they can - they have way more money than we, working FT, have. Pub, fags, cars, drugs, holidays - I would not put it past them to get a bag of free food once a month if they could sob-story their way to one.

Feeling altruistic and fuzzy is great (and yes i do donate to charities regularly, UK and abroad) but I am very hmm about food banks.

noblegiraffe Wed 20-Sep-17 10:33:56

I'm assuming that the food bank would be giving the person tinned spaghetti and razors, not one or the other.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 20-Sep-17 10:34:32

Please just give the food that the food bank asks for!

I do, Hayesking! My local bank wants and accepts treats!

existentialmoment Wed 20-Sep-17 10:34:57

i have no idea what FB you work for but I have had dealings with many and NONE of them have had your attitude. They all accept chocolate and treats and extras. I find it quite sad if you don't.

I was a child who got food bank parcels, hampers at christmas etc, and I can tell you that children certainly appreciate having the little extras.

Hayesking Wed 20-Sep-17 10:35:11

ptumbi many people share your concerns. All I can say is that it actually isn't that easy to get food from a foodbank. Ours have to be recommended by GP or SS.

Hayesking Wed 20-Sep-17 10:36:22

I do, Hayesking! My local bank wants and accepts treats!

sorry - I didn't mean to suggest you should never give treats. Its just that threads like this with lots of well meaning ideas like formula and wine make me frustrated sometimes.

noblegiraffe Wed 20-Sep-17 10:36:34

Why do we need food banks?

I looked at the list of my local foodbanks and they all seemed to have opened since 2010. Remember David Cameron's Big Society? Cuts to public services being covered by volunteers and charities.

Oogle Wed 20-Sep-17 10:37:06

I don't put razors or toiletries in instead of food. I put them in in addition to food.

existentialmoment Wed 20-Sep-17 10:37:20

Feeling altruistic and fuzzy is great (and yes i do donate to charities regularly, UK and abroad) but I am very hmm about food banks

That's nice for you that you can afford to be so judgemental.
Meanwhile, that fabulous benefit system in one of the richest countries in the world lets vulnerable people starve to death after cutting off all their disability benefits

hmm

trevortrevorslattery Wed 20-Sep-17 10:37:55

Thanks MrsMHasIt, I always intend to give stuff to the foodbank but never get round to it blush but I didn't realise (stupid really) that I could help by donating money - I've just set up a DD to my local one flowers

existentialmoment Wed 20-Sep-17 10:38:10

Its just that threads like this with lots of well meaning ideas like formula and wine make me frustrated sometimes

Every single answer said no to the wine and many food banks want formula, so why would you be frustrated?

ptumbi Wed 20-Sep-17 10:45:38

I do admit to being judgemental - when you see neighbours drunk down the pub, stoned out of their heads on coke, popping out for a fag...
it actually isn't that easy to get food from a foodbank. Ours have to be recommended by GP or SS. - and I say that it wouldn't surprise me to see these same people sobbing in the GP about how they can't afford food (on account of the drugs/alcohol/fags) and how they are depressed and suicidal, and they have kids at home. Anyone come and check the kitchen cupboards? thought not.

These are not disabled people BTW - these are just people who see free money. MY money.

I'd rather send it to Africa. Now - there is a country whose inhabitants need food.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 20-Sep-17 10:45:47

Hayesking I do appreciate what you are saying - I suppose the main thing is to check what the local banks want, and what they are short of, since they do seem to differ a bit.

I think threads like this are very useful. I had friends who used to take aid convoys, and it was amazing what people would donate - hairbrishes with hair in them, half-used packets of biscuits. It took them more time sorting and getting rid of the rubbish than packing up the good stuff. (Which is just to say that I think you should carry on saying what you need to, even if sometimes I disagree.)

womaninatightspot Wed 20-Sep-17 10:46:45

I remember on another thread a recipient of a food bank happiness at finding a tin of Heinz of tomato soup rather than another tin of value baked beans. It's incredibly depressing that we need food banks however I think one of the reasons people dig deep when giving is the hope of bringing a little happiness to others rather than just basic sustenance.

Interestingly our food bank once requested that people do not buy value stuff for donating. Was badly worded and didn't go down well so has been changed subsequently but the gist was everyone needs treats.

Hayesking Wed 20-Sep-17 10:46:54

Oh yes, we get lots of half eaten stuff.

existentialmoment Wed 20-Sep-17 10:47:30

ffs ptumbi, leaving aside that Africa is not a fucking country and much of it has no need of your food charity, children in the UK are living in poverty and some do not get enough to eat. That's reality.
Donate or don't but don't pretend it isn't happening.

Hayesking Wed 20-Sep-17 10:48:19

ptumbi, yes, some families do have family members who are alcoholics or have drug issues. All the more reason to support them.

conserveisposhforjam Wed 20-Sep-17 10:48:29

Africa. Now - there is a country whose inhabitants need food.

Ummm. Where to start? ...

Hayesking Wed 20-Sep-17 10:49:54

Africa is a continent. I have family living in countries in Africa and they live a very happy, well fed life.

rightsofwomen Wed 20-Sep-17 10:51:11

Annie It upsets me when people have clearly just had a cupboard clear out and thought "oh the needy can have this", and bring in a box of 1/2 empty jars of out-of-date herbs and spices, or jars of pickled artichoke hearts that have done the rounds of the school tombola since 1985.

Thoughtless.

SirVixofVixHall Wed 20-Sep-17 10:55:11

I put in sanitary towels, pet food, and small treats, as I think maybe those things are less commonly given.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »