Talk

Advanced search

Are photographs needed for an ABH case?

(51 Posts)
TiesThatBindMe Wed 20-Sep-17 04:16:02

Or is police testimony as to injuries sufficient?

creamcheeseandlox Wed 20-Sep-17 05:22:33

Was there any medical notes made for the injuries, hospital/ gp?

TiesThatBindMe Wed 20-Sep-17 05:28:40

No, no medical notes. PC mentioned a camera early in the consultation in relation to me having bruising where I would need to strip clothing for him to see which begged the question for me as to whether he forgot to take any photos at all. That sentence probably makes no sense.

It was like this

PC: Have you any other injuries? Facial injuries fairly obvious.
Me: Yes
PC: Ok, I've a camera but I'm on my own, so don't show them to me

I'm wondering whether he should have taken a photo of the facial injuries at least? FWIW I've emailed him. He hasn't replied.

SerfTerf Wed 20-Sep-17 05:31:13

Are you sure he wasn't wearing a body camera oojit?

TiesThatBindMe Wed 20-Sep-17 05:33:20

He could well have been. I don't know.

TiesThatBindMe Wed 20-Sep-17 05:34:24

What is 'oojit'?

TiesThatBindMe Wed 20-Sep-17 05:39:04

Now that you've mentioned a camera, maybe he meant that he had a body camera. I figured he meant using a police issue mobile phone or something. That makes sense because he didn't take any photos at all of my injuries.

picklemepopcorn Wed 20-Sep-17 06:56:51

Sorry you've been injured.

creamcheeseandlox Wed 20-Sep-17 06:59:04

Were you the victim? Did you see the medical practitioners at the station? Body worn camera? If the officer didn't actually see the injuries because he didn't want you to strip off (where they in an intimate place?) then he/she can't really make a statement that they saw them. For a victim of an assault I would have thought the police would have always documented the injuries. That's what I have always known to happen. Speak to the officer and find out...it's all evidence so should have been documented as such.

Skittlesss Wed 20-Sep-17 07:00:23

Has he arranged for a scenes of crime officer to come photograph them?

TiesThatBindMe Wed 20-Sep-17 13:20:01

Yes, I am the victim. The majority of injuries are to my face. Other bruising on my body. I didn't go to the station, the police officer came here to take a statement. I have no idea whether he had a body worn camera or not. He certainly didn't take any photos. As I said, I've emailed him as he has left me an email address.

No scene of crime officer, probably because I'm the victim rather than the scene!

SerfTerf Wed 20-Sep-17 13:25:26

Sorry, managed to doze off again. Yes, body camera was what I meant.

creamcheeseandlox Wed 20-Sep-17 15:19:01

Do you still have the bruises? Take some picture yourself/get someone to take some so you have some you can email to the officer then he can exhibit them. It's a bit baffling why pics weren't taken or why your injuries weren't 'mapped' or noted down.

TiesThatBindMe Wed 20-Sep-17 15:46:41

Well I've emailed the following to him. Not a word since.

Dear PC xxxxxxx

I am writing in relation to the above referenced Incident Number.

During our meeting on Monday 18 September 2017 when you took my statement, you advised thatyou would be sending me a crime reference number yesterday evening. I have not yet received this.

That aside, I was wondering whether it would have beennecessary to have taken an official police photo(s) of my injuries should the incident need to go to court. I am not aware of the system, so amunsure whether your testimony as to the injuries would be sufficient or whether photographic evidence is necessary? I wouldbe grateful if you could advise me on this particular aspect of the procedurein thiscase.

Thank youin advance for your assistance.

He gave me a little card thing which said that a police officer should be in contact within 5 days.

TiesThatBindMe Wed 20-Sep-17 15:48:17

No idea why spaces have been obliterated in the above!

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Wed 20-Sep-17 16:02:44

Take photos of the injuries yourself if you can.

The officer who spoke to you was probably a response team officer so may be on night shifts or rest days etc

Not sure where you are or what procedure your local police follow but the crime may be 'kept' by the officer who took the report or allocated to someone else to follow up.

If you have a CAD number (incident number for your phonecall) you can call 101 and ask for the crime reference number for your report and who is the allocated officer.

Belle1939 Wed 20-Sep-17 16:05:02

Go to the Drs as well and get the injuries logged
This will really help

DontbouncelikeIdid Wed 20-Sep-17 17:29:18

It's always a good idea to have photographs of injuries where possible. I hope you are OK!

Skittlesss Thu 21-Sep-17 09:59:20

Take some photos yourself, but they really should have got a scenes of crime officer to take some official ones (and yes I know you are a victim rather than a scene biscuit, but that is their job title in my force as they take all evidential photos).

My advice would be to call up and speak to the officer or someone on their team. They're obviously not doing their job properly.

RB68 Thu 21-Sep-17 10:06:57

photos always help - get someone to check them, get to the GP and get them on record and make sure they aren't anything too serious e.g. fractured cheekbone, eyes affected, etc

TiesThatBindMe Thu 21-Sep-17 22:48:19

I've received a reply from the officer. Basically he states that 'as you may remember' I stated that taking photos wouldn't be appropriate as I was on my own but I will make a statement as to the injuries observed if necessary. Taking a photo of my black and blue eye would hardly need a chaperone.
Case has now been transferred to a different borough i.e. the one it happened in. I give up!

TiesThatBindMe Thu 21-Sep-17 22:51:20

Getting to a GP will take 2 weeks, by which time my injuries will have assuaged.

joangray38 Thu 21-Sep-17 23:21:29

Are the bruises still visible. If I were you I would take some photos that are dated/ - hold a newspaper up next to them it stand next to the tv with the news on. My dad got assaulted several years ago - didn't hit the other bloke but he turned up in court with photos of bruises - dated . The court didn't give his photos the same weighting as police photos but they were used to prove this bloke had acted in self defence attacking my dad and he got off.

creamcheeseandlox Thu 21-Sep-17 23:22:43

Ties. I'm assuming your in the met as you talk of 'boroughs'. This is normal. The borough where the offence happened will deal with the report regardless of where you live. Bit shitty of the officer to say he wouldn't take pics as he was on his own. That's essential a bit of evidence that's possibly been lost. Can you take pics yourself or get someone else to then when you find out who the new officer in the case is let them know what happened and that you took pics.

liminality Thu 21-Sep-17 23:41:33

If you contact a surgery saying you need a doctor to assess injuries immediately for a criminal case, I am sure they will bump you up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now