Talk

Advanced search

To take DS to the children's centre when he has a fever?

(10 Posts)
Bubbinsmakesthree Wed 20-Sep-17 03:41:32

DS has an OT appointment tomorrow - we have been waiting months for this referral.

He's not well though - a bad cold/cough accompanied with a fever.

The appointment is at the local children's centre.

I'll be keeping him off preschool tomorrow but WIBU unreasonable to take him to the OT appointment?

MrsOverTheRoad Wed 20-Sep-17 03:54:41

Hmm. It's questionable how much use the appointment will be to him if he's not well...he may feel better tomorrow though. I'd wait and see.

highinthesky Wed 20-Sep-17 04:14:17

If DS doesn't improve, call the centre first thing in the morning to rearrange. You don't want to be put to the end of the queue.

Wishing DS better.

mumofddds Wed 20-Sep-17 12:41:14

You'll get more out of the appointment with a well baby, now that your at the top of the list tho it shouldn't be much of a wait for a new one

Moanyoldcow Wed 20-Sep-17 12:51:54

Call them and explain and they will rebook you - once you are 'in' it's easier to get the appointments to be moved around. I had this scenario with my son and had to cancel twice owing to illness and they manged to rebook me very soon aftwerwards.

You won't get any benefit if your son is unwell.

Raver84 Wed 20-Sep-17 12:54:04

Don't do it it's really not fair on all the other babies and children who will be exposed to unwell child. Rearrange.

Ellendegeneres Wed 20-Sep-17 12:59:28

Call and ask. If it's in a separate area to main children's centre it may be ok.
If in an area where the main bulk of children will be I'd avoid it. Purely because you don't know if there are dc or carers of dc with suppressed immune systems. My son was one such child, has been admitted to hospital several times for what presents in well children as you've described.
Unless your appointment is an urgent appointment, I don't think it's fair to risk others

highinthesky Wed 20-Sep-17 13:04:34

it's really not fair on all the other babies and children who will be exposed to unwell child.

This is a debatable point: children's immune systems need to be challenged to a degree otherwise they'll be medically vulnerable adults. Much as we might like to, we can't wrap them in cotton wool forever. Sensible judgement is required.

mumofddds Wed 20-Sep-17 14:05:50

@highinthesky yes but there's also a high change that an OT clinic there will be children with suppressed immune systems that can't afford to have their immune system "challenged"

Myheartbelongsto Wed 20-Sep-17 15:07:26

As someone is suffering from a terrible cold, please don't.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: