Talk

Advanced search

Desperate for ideas

(9 Posts)
SisyphusHadItEasy Tue 19-Sep-17 21:56:55

I know that I am "misusing" AIBU and apologise for this, but there are more brilliant posters here than anywhere else on the entire internet

DD is being admitted to the hospital next week for video EEG monitoring as the last step prior to being approved for surgery that will hopefully improve her epilepsy.

Because she needs to be monitored on video for the entire period (aside from trips to the loo, of course) she is going to be stuck in bed. She is almost 12, but has developmental delays, so her interests are very wide from an age-related perspective. Her fine motor skills are emerging, but craft activities are a challenge.

I am hoping to borrow a tablet so she can play some apps and possibly watch videos if the hospital has wi-fi, but does anyone have any ideas for other ways I can amuse an otherwise well child for a week stuck in bed?

I know this admission is going to be tough on her as she has to be off her medication for the duration of testing (they are hoping to capture as many "big" seizures as possible on recording to ensure that surgery is worth the risks) so I am hoping to make it as unstressful as possible, particularly as we will be more than 2 hours from home and family in the epilepsy monitoring unit.

Thanks in advance - this isn't going to be much fun for either of us.

MuddlingThroughLife Tue 19-Sep-17 22:03:29

Ds is 10 and been in and out of hospital since January having surgery, rehab and chemo. He was glued to his tablet watching Netflix and you tube (Even made some of his own you tube videos!). Took lots of dvd's in too. We played card games, electronic guess who and frustration.

Most children's wards have playworkers. They will help keep your dd occupied and come up with ideas to keep her busy. If she's confined to a room, they might even bring in a games console to keep her busy. When ds was in isolation from the chemo they would bring him an xbox.

Hope everything goes well x 🎗

pickleypockley Tue 19-Sep-17 22:04:23

Portable DVD incase no wifi. Board games, card games?

NSEA Tue 19-Sep-17 22:05:45

Books? Harry Potter series? Something like that?

Tour Tue 19-Sep-17 22:10:36

Colouring books, puzzle books, uno etc

notmaryberry Tue 19-Sep-17 22:15:58

My DD has development delay also and really poor motor skills but she loves dot to dot books (the ones with 500 dots or more per picture) and the sticker mosaic sets, also querkles and her latest craze is called 'paint by stickers'. They're all really easy to do and quite addictive.

Boffered1 Tue 19-Sep-17 22:22:43

DD 11 spent two weeks in hospital a little while ago. She discovered the Ripleys Believe it or Not books during her stay which kept her occupied for a good couple of evenings. She also enjoyed a Top Model drawing book.

PovertyJetset Tue 19-Sep-17 22:26:14

Simple suduko or puzzle books
Hama beads
Play doh
Take in some Pre made biscuits then some icing sugar and decorations to decorate
Make baby Pom poms on a fork- loo on Pinterest, and tringbtyem to make a Pom Pom mobile or garland
Nail art stuff
Sticker books
Top trumps
Rubik cube
Drafts- easy to learn and play
Knit- get big needles and thick wool, it's not too hard maybe?
Make something that takes afew days like a project... maybe apply for a blue Peter badge? Or choose something like the Mayan pyramids and make one out of modelling clay/papier-mâché?
Fuzzy felt sets to play with
Pasta necklaces which you can the paint
Bring in some leaves and paints and make a leaf print picture
Rubbings- rub any raised surface at.

WellLetsSayHesSquare Wed 20-Sep-17 17:11:58

We spent some time last week in hdu and honestly the playworkers could not do enough. They were fab.

As a side note if you have amazon you can download a certain amount of films or episodes to watch offline in case there is no WiFi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now